Educational

Author Topic: Should underage abortions require parental consent?  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Should underage abortions require parental consent?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 04:39:21 PM »
My mother and dad were married in October and I was conceived in November.  Mom went to her mother for the money for an abortion and Grandma wouldn't give it to her.  I'm not even sure if Mom knew where an illegal abortionist was, but she did want a pregnancy this soon in the marriage. 

When I was about 5 Mom had a hysterectomy, so no more children after my sister and myself.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Osensitive1

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 04:50:33 PM »
would need parental consent for any other medical procedure
Yes. exactly.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 04:52:21 PM »
While I would never agree that anyone (parent or otherwise) should be able to force someone to giv birth, I would have agreed with Callaway about at least informing the parents... but Scrapheap's point is important. Obviously the girl isn't in danger in most cases, but there are definitely cases where she is. Maybe it should be worked on a case-t-case basis, but then who decides?

I don't like the idea of abortion, but it should always be up to the woman (or girl) herself imo. Unless of course she's 8 months pregnant or something

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 04:52:54 PM »
would need parental consent for any other medical procedure
Yes. exactly.
[/quote

NO ONE should be in a position to force a child into givingbirth, whether theyre her parents or not

Osensitive1

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 04:57:54 PM »
NO ONE should be in a position to force a child into givingbirth, whether theyre her parents or not
No one should be in a position to operate on a child without their parents knowing.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 05:06:12 PM »
My mother and dad were married in October and I was conceived in November.  Mom went to her mother for the money for an abortion and Grandma wouldn't give it to her.  I'm not even sure if Mom knew where an illegal abortionist was, but she did want a pregnancy this soon in the marriage. 

When I was about 5 Mom had a hysterectomy, so no more children after my sister and myself.

I'm so sorry.  :hug:

How old were you when you found out about all this and who told you?

I can't imagine how that made you feel.  I was born close to nine months after my parents were married as well, but I never for a second felt like my mom didn't very much want me.  I think my dad would have preferred having my mother to himself for a while longer, though.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 05:12:15 PM »
Should an under-aged girl get parental consent?

Under-aged and abortion is a sad combination. Parental consent can be tricky, in scenarios Scrap describes. But it can be equally tricky to go around that consent, and have a teen go through an abortion she does not want, because she is forced by her boyfriend to have one. There it might be the parent who notices the girl is being forced to get it. If it can't be a parent, then a professional at the clinic should be checking with the girl if this is what she wants.

There are also teens who are not safe at home, mental, physical, sexual and emotional abuse happen. What right does a parent have to decide with a teen, if that parent cannot provide safety for that teen at home? (In the case of sexual abuse by the (step)father, it is very likely that an abortion will be forced on the girl if she does not want an abortion too btw.)

I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 06:12:22 PM »
No one should be in a position to operate on a child without their parents knowing.

Informing the parents isnn't the same as requiring their consent

Osensitive1

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 06:17:25 PM »
Yes. Poor wording; also there's emergency to consider. Should have said, no one should be in a position to perform elective surgery on a minor without parental consent.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 06:19:51 PM by Osensitive1 »

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 06:30:31 PM »
Should an under-aged girl get parental consent?

Under-aged and abortion is a sad combination. Parental consent can be tricky, in scenarios Scrap describes. But it can be equally tricky to go around that consent, and have a teen go through an abortion she does not want, because she is forced by her boyfriend to have one. There it might be the parent who notices the girl is being forced to get it. If it can't be a parent, then a professional at the clinic should be checking with the girl if this is what she wants.

There are also teens who are not safe at home, mental, physical, sexual and emotional abuse happen. What right does a parent have to decide with a teen, if that parent cannot provide safety for that teen at home? (In the case of sexual abuse by the (step)father, it is very likely that an abortion will be forced on the girl if she does not want an abortion too btw.)

I find myself agreeing with Hykeaswell.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2010, 06:31:50 PM »

I can't imagine how that made you feel.  I was born close to nine months after my parents were married as well, but I never for a second felt like my mom didn't very much want me.  I think my dad would have preferred having my mother to himself for a while longer, though.

I was about 20 or so.   Mom just brought it up out of the blue one day.  I know they had a difficult time understanding me because Autism/Aspergers and ADHD weren't well known when I was a child.  I also know that having me made their life economically, physically and emotionally harder, but I never wished I had been aborted, just loved more.

A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 06:34:40 PM »

I was about 20 or so.   Mom just brought it up out of the blue one day.  I know they had a difficult time understanding me because Autism/Aspergers and ADHD weren't well known when I was a child.  I also know that having me made their life economically, physically and emotionally harder, but I never wished I had been aborted, just loved more.

:hug:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Osensitive1

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 06:40:22 PM »
I find myself agreeing with Hykeaswell.
Didn't really get a clear view of her positon, other than the whole topic being tragic. Would have to agree too.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 06:41:29 PM »
It is tragic. But no one should ever be in a position to force a girl to give birth

Osensitive1

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2010, 06:47:32 PM »
That is one of the possible unsavory variables, same as the others mentioned here; but as far as answering the question in your title, will stick with my answer.