Educational

Author Topic: "Mozart and the Whale" - Rubbish!  (Read 2226 times)

thepeaguy

Re: "Mozart and the Whale" - Rubbish!
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2006, 08:22:23 AM »
Looks like there will be a drama programme about some autistic child on British telly on Boxiing Day.

What's it called?   I tend to find these things too depressing to watch because of the stereotyping that you seem to get.

Why? I used to be like that kid. I had fucking tantrums aplenty.

http://www.itv.com/listings/Programme.aspx?itvgenre=2&channeldate=26/12/2006&channelid=WCT&scheduleid=24919383&prognum=804574&episode=804574&isfilm=No&types=audio_desc,subtitles

I wish someone did a programme on me. :(

Because they always seem to have such two dimensional characters who are completely defined by the fact they are autistic. What happened to
Quote from: thepeaguy
My autism alone does not define who I am or why I am interesting to those that respect me.
?

Yeah, when it comes to using my autism to highlight how special I am, and the fucking aspies are notorious for that.

EDIT: Meh, fuck it, I'm gonna be demerited anytime soon. :p

« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 08:58:14 AM by Dark Gay »

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2006, 03:23:10 PM »
based on the part I saw I would say this.  Some things about "neurodiverse" people try to be  unrealistic and cartoony, like Monk, and some try to be serious, like Snow Cake and Rain Man.  And these are good.  But this movie tried to be both, and did not suceed for me.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2006, 04:17:31 PM »
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 04:19:36 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2006, 03:33:19 AM »
lol, thats the PC term I think!!!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2006, 09:15:21 AM »

Yep ... recognized it instantly. That is just one of the more funny ones. They all are designed to say nothing about what they are supposed to describe. I'm sure that is why you put the word in '' '' .
 ;)
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Eamonn

« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2006, 09:52:04 AM »
When I say "glorified", ...

My intention is not to make you re-think, but to give you credit for spurring my interest. I also have a similar view of what you meant by, "glorified".

I think of myself and some weird, almost "savant", abilities I have, regarding seeing sounds and hearing light  due to some sensory dysfunctions, as being a glorious, fine help for a sound techie guy, like my first career. I also think that the lack of communication abilities, which forced me to make other considerations when dealing with people, are even more of a defining influence in my life. No amount of talking or making a movie about how "cool" it is to feel and hear bright light can take away the stresses of not knowing how to make myself understood when talking to friends or avoiding them, for that matter.

Any glorifying I try do, must be taken in the context of the square peg struggle to fit in the neat round holes that some of us have to deal with or the consequences of isolation, resulting from not fitting in. It will be impossible to make a movie about ASD as a generalization of what to expect when encountering an autie, but I can think of many entertaining stories to tell where ASD is a player or part of the conflict, but in each case ... you would have to be there to get it.  :laugh:

Yeah everyone sees and hears bright lights. It's a buzzing noise right?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2006, 11:45:50 AM »
You *snicker* me. Not even pretty pictures of soothing buzzing noises would come close to a word simile. The word, "noise", implies to me, a music minded sort of no-life, hyper-overthinking procrastinator, something with no rhythm or some kind of monotonous drone, maybe. It might even be annoying. I enjoy and chase patterns, possibilities and beauty well past the point of distraction.

Distractions also help me to appreciate lame movies and such.
 :)

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2006, 02:29:30 AM »
I'M DRUNK! WOOT!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2006, 05:19:09 AM »
:laugh:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2006, 04:01:24 PM »
My reaction:  The problem is that in a romantic movie, there has to be conflict.  In this movie, the only available conflict within the plot constraints was Asperger's.  So, they had to make the AS pretty severe.

Other than that, when I heard the quote "You can say Autistic.  I already know," I thought it would be my favorite quote from the movie, UNTILLLLL....

"I'm an excellent listener."

:LMAO:

Sorry guys, but that was DAMN funny.  I've had people call me "rain man" for saying "definitely, definitely" while obsessing, to be fair.  (I think I was talking about food.  Playing the odds, even if I don't remember, I was probably talking about food.)

.........I think of myself and some weird, almost "savant", abilities I have, regarding seeing sounds and hearing light........

I thought that only happens when you drop Acid man...... ;) :laugh:

No, it happens with pot, too.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Scrapheap

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2006, 06:37:20 PM »

.........I think of myself and some weird, almost "savant", abilities I have, regarding seeing sounds and hearing light........

I thought that only happens when you drop Acid man...... ;) :laugh:

No, it happens with pot, too.

I've been so stoned that I've seen Halucinations, but I've never heard of people seeing sounds or hearing light.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2006, 06:53:03 PM »
I must be remembering Drugs and Human Behavior wrong.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2006, 06:59:04 PM »
I hallucinate and get completely zonked on even quite low doses of cannabis.  Haven't used any for years though.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

ozymandias

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2006, 07:35:44 PM »
I hallucinate and get completely zonked on even quite low doses of cannabis.  Haven't used any for years though.

I haven't touched that stuff for 34 years and the last time was only done as a twisted birthday present!~ ;) :laugh:

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2006, 07:42:01 PM »

I haven't touched that stuff for 34 years and the last time was only done as a twisted birthday present!~ ;) :laugh:

Were you getting pot as a present or getting stoned for someone else's amusement?