Author Topic: "Mozart and the Whale" - Rubbish!  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
"Mozart and the Whale" - Rubbish!
« on: September 19, 2006, 01:48:58 PM »
I was at someones house over the weekend who had parts of the movie on his pc, and I have seen about half an hour of it.   I hated it!!!    Everyone in it was like a stereo - type cartoon character of an aspie, like a human calculator math genius, a woman who takes every metaphor litereally, and a crazy woman who just recites facts about baseball in a robot voice.   As someone who has met their fair share of autistic people myself I did not relate to it.   I have no desire to see the rest at all.

edit - oops , this went into the wrong forum.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: "Mozart and the Whale" - Rubbish!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 02:11:01 PM »
I am still waiting to see it, so I can't intelligently comment about it.  It was in some faraway city some time ago, but maybe it will come out on DVD and I will finally get to actually see it.

The preview I saw looked good to me.  It had the part where the lady decides to cleans the man's place, thinking she was doing a good thing for him and he goes nuts.  I can identify somewhat with that.  I know some metaphors but I have a tendency to take many things literally unless I know the person is kidding.  I am not a human calculator and I don't even know any baseball statistics.

Offline Praetor

• Constant Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 04:03:40 PM »
I remember seeing a trailer of it ages ago and you could just tell it was going to be utterly terrible and completly unhelpful

Offline Diesel

• Log splitting aspie elitist
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 01:50:21 PM »
I saw the DVD for sale in Wal-Mart (of all places) today.......if anyone does want to see it.

thepeaguy

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 01:51:59 PM »
All part of some fucking project to exploit the pity folks to make cash.

Motherfuckers.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 02:22:17 PM by Dark Gaia »

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 05:54:39 AM »
I saw the DVD for sale in Wal-Mart (of all places) today.......if anyone does want to see it.

Yeah, I knew it was on DVD but couldn't find it in walmart when I checked.  I may search more for it soon.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Diesel

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 07:46:21 AM »
Confession:

I bought it and watched it.

It is what it is........it's a romantic thing about 2 people who happen to have Aspergers.

Doesn't get much more in depth than that.

I was kinda disappointed at first....I think I went into the movie expecting AS to be glamorized and glorified,.. but it just isn't....it's just another reminder of how much of a struggle everyday can be.

...but I can't stop thinking about it so I'll watch it again.
I know what hand flapping is now thanks to the movie.... it was kinda nice to see AS portrayed in the movies.....I don't know how it'll be perceived by NT. Yes there were allot of stereotypes.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 08:20:26 AM by Diesel »

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 09:03:18 AM »

Now my confession:

I had no idea what this thread was about and I was too lazy disinterested to do a google search for additional info.

Now, Diesel has drawn my interest out a little and I will ask the library for it, which will get it here, in a matter of days usually, after it hits the DVD shelves.

I wouldn't want to see ASD glorified in any way. I also can't imagine how a two hour movie could give an NT, who knows nothing about the subject, any view other than a comical or a pitiful one. My first instinct is to agree with ! (or what ever he's called at the moment) ... mother fuckers!

But, like always, I will have to see for myself.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Diesel

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 10:02:21 AM »
When I say "glorified", what I really mean is that I was hoping to leave the viewing of this movie about AS with a positive,good and upbeat feeling.

I did not.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad movie or inaccurate portrayal of AS.
I really don't know what to think now as I knowingly have zero experience with others on the spectrum.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 11:41:32 AM »
When I say "glorified", ...

My intention is not to make you re-think, but to give you credit for spurring my interest. I also have a similar view of what you meant by, "glorified".

I think of myself and some weird, almost "savant", abilities I have, regarding seeing sounds and hearing light  due to some sensory dysfunctions, as being a glorious, fine help for a sound techie guy, like my first career. I also think that the lack of communication abilities, which forced me to make other considerations when dealing with people, are even more of a defining influence in my life. No amount of talking or making a movie about how "cool" it is to feel and hear bright light can take away the stresses of not knowing how to make myself understood when talking to friends or avoiding them, for that matter.

Any glorifying I try do, must be taken in the context of the square peg struggle to fit in the neat round holes that some of us have to deal with or the consequences of isolation, resulting from not fitting in. It will be impossible to make a movie about ASD as a generalization of what to expect when encountering an autie, but I can think of many entertaining stories to tell where ASD is a player or part of the conflict, but in each case ... you would have to be there to get it.  :laugh:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Scrapheap

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 02:48:47 PM »

.........I think of myself and some weird, almost "savant", abilities I have, regarding seeing sounds and hearing light........

I thought that only happens when you drop Acid man...... ;) :laugh:

Offline Diesel

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 03:00:10 PM »
When I say "glorified", ...

My intention is not to make you re-think, but to give you credit for spurring my interest. I also have a similar view of what you meant by, "glorified".

I think of myself and some weird, almost "savant", abilities I have, regarding seeing sounds and hearing light  due to some sensory dysfunctions, as being a glorious, fine help for a sound techie guy, like my first career. I also think that the lack of communication abilities, which forced me to make other considerations when dealing with people, are even more of a defining influence in my life. No amount of talking or making a movie about how "cool" it is to feel and hear bright light can take away the stresses of not knowing how to make myself understood when talking to friends or avoiding them, for that matter.

Any glorifying I try do, must be taken in the context of the square peg struggle to fit in the neat round holes that some of us have to deal with or the consequences of isolation, resulting from not fitting in. It will be impossible to make a movie about ASD as a generalization of what to expect when encountering an autie, but I can think of many entertaining stories to tell where ASD is a player or part of the conflict, but in each case ... you would have to be there to get it.  :laugh:

:laugh:

Thats cool.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 03:16:26 PM by Diesel »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 03:40:16 PM »

.........I think of myself and some weird, almost "savant", abilities I have, regarding seeing sounds and hearing light........

I thought that only happens when you drop Acid man...... ;) :laugh:

*farts in his general direction, then scurries away, remembering not to ever trust a fart too quickly*

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 06:12:17 PM »
I have not yet either watched this movie.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 07:38:51 PM »

A truly superior avatar, Kevv.

:thumbup: