Educational

Author Topic: What are you going to do today?  (Read 38443 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: What are you going to do today?
« Reply #1560 on: December 30, 2019, 10:30:54 AM »
Only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the cub's toys use batteries. I've gone out of my way to get him some quality wooden toys, which do still exist out there, plus there are things like duplo and cars and hand puppets.
Oh, I know they're out there. That's the way I chose to parent my kids as well. It's just not so much the norm anymore. I loved buying the youngest Melissa and Doug toys. Anything I bought from that line held up well.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1561 on: December 30, 2019, 12:37:07 PM »

Today is a ladder day for me.  Meaning I am going to spend a great deal of my day going up and down ladders. I know some may do this for a living and it is no big deal. With my left hip now acting up some (my right hip has been replaced with a titanium, machined substitute and it is quite stable) I feel a little "iffy" with my feet venturing past the dependability of good old terra firma.

My daughter is upholding her end of the "bargain" I made with her. I asked that she show the same degree of enthusiasm putting all this Christmas stuff away that she shows while dragging it all out and vomiting it all over our house and in return, I will help her do both.

Time to pay up. She is boxing it all up and now I have to find places for it back in the "semi-attic" space set aside for such frivolities.
I promised, she promised and now Christmas shit is all coming to an end!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1562 on: December 30, 2019, 12:44:17 PM »
Only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the cub's toys use batteries. I've gone out of my way to get him some quality wooden toys, which do still exist out there, plus there are things like duplo and cars and hand puppets.
Great job!!

There is a group of older wood workers, both men and women, here in town who spend most of the year building just such old fashioned toys for kids and they sell or donate them to various "child support centers"  around the area. About twelve years ago I bought a hand made pull wagon for my younglings. I have long since donated it back to the center.

I can remember when I was a child, my grandfather gave me a small hammer and a box of small nails and two (just two, mind you) pieces of wood to nail together.  The lessons learned from that toy have stuck!

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1563 on: December 30, 2019, 03:16:32 PM »
I'm looking forward to when he's old enough for a real little tool kit.

There have been several woodworkers in my family and I actually have a few toys that have been passed down from previous generations. One is a truck - like a full rig with separate engine car and freight parts, with a set of logs (dowels) to carry, which was my grandmother's when she was little. There's also a car shaped like a turtle that was my aunt's, and a set of wooden blocks that my grandfather made for my brother and I. It includes a couple six-inch-high arches that have been tooled to be perfectly round.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1564 on: December 31, 2019, 02:46:02 AM »
Speaking of not being able to read: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/23/business/cell-phone-addiction.html
That doesn't surprise me. Although it doesn't apply to me. I take regular hiatuses and and hate using my cell. But the attention span thing is very real for so many people. I worry more about my kids than I do myself in that regard. Well not my oldest. He's not big into his phone. My daughter is another story however which is why I still keep her love of art and books at the forefront. I worry sometimes about the amount of tech kids grow up with.
I don't think it's the tech by itself as much as social media, tbh. I mean, the tech allows us to carry most of human knowledge in our pockets but we use it to like memes and post selfies, not to mention cat pics.

I agree overall but I miss the days when the majority of kids toys didn't require batteries. It seems like constant noise and lights and whatnot and it starts so young

Oh yes, agreed.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1565 on: December 31, 2019, 07:54:09 AM »
SO had to go in for a shift today so I'm getting the oldest to/from work, youngest is with her Dad and I'm going to enjoy a day of nobody being home but me. This will include a lot reading, a bit of napping with the pups and some cleaning. Emphasis on reading and napping though  ;)
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #1566 on: January 03, 2020, 11:11:37 PM »
Making a wish... after all it is 11:11

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1567 on: January 03, 2020, 11:46:13 PM »
Go to the chemist. I've run out of haloperidol.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1568 on: January 04, 2020, 06:48:47 AM »
Go to a surprise party for a friend in the afternoon and then out dancing with friends tonight. Wish they weren't happening on the same day. I've been up since 3am and no hope of a nap beforehand.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #1569 on: January 04, 2020, 04:58:20 PM »
Dinner Party with a family friend...

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1570 on: January 05, 2020, 01:36:54 AM »

Later today I intend to head over to the apartment where my daughter will be moving into soon and help (think, bring tools and just do it all) set up a few "boxed furniture - think IKEA style" pieces.

I will demand coffee.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1571 on: January 05, 2020, 05:27:26 AM »
We'll visit my daughter and her boyfriend's new place and see if they need any help setting things up.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1572 on: January 05, 2020, 03:32:19 PM »
Holy crap. The debauchery on here has turned into responsible parenting of the younger generation. I'm feeling every bit our age right now  :lol1:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #1573 on: January 05, 2020, 06:12:04 PM »
I already did today... I'm hiding in my basement for the rest of the night

Offline Phoenix