Author Topic: Religion  (Read 1915 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: Religion
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2010, 05:29:39 AM »
candy for Jesus :laugh: :laugh:
they knew how to best brainwash the kiddies.
Misunderstood.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 05:31:06 AM »

For me now it woulds be blow jobs for Jesus :eyebrows:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2010, 05:31:53 AM »

i'd accept handjobs for jesus.
Misunderstood.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2010, 05:33:35 AM »

They'd have to be easy bilble verses for that
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2010, 05:34:47 AM »

They'd have to be easy bilble verses for that
i love em.  a little hand lotion and alot of consistent hand motions.
Misunderstood.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2010, 06:40:33 AM »

Wasn't there this mob that actually instructed the women to go around sleep with men to hook them into their Christian cult or something? I think they referred to it as fishing for Jesus or something.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2010, 06:58:15 PM »

Wasn't there this mob that actually instructed the women to go around sleep with men to hook them into their Christian cult or something? I think they referred to it as fishing for Jesus or something.
jesus is a fisher of men.
Misunderstood.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2010, 07:01:57 PM »

I've heard of some cults that do that. They call it "flirty fishing."
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2010, 12:01:15 AM »

hahah! Crazy.

Anyway, to answer your question - My father was a catholic and my mother a prodistent. Neither practiced or acted like they were religious at all. Myself and my sister were never baptised. Born and raised as agnostics.

I am trying to develop a further knowledge of these things, and am on my way hopefully.

Scrapheap

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2010, 01:01:08 AM »

I heard it called "hooking for Jesus"

At first, cops were confused by it, and weren't sure if it was a crime or not. I think they decided not to prosecute them for it, because no money had exchanged hands.

Offline Untermensch

• Galactic Dictator
  • Constant Poster
  • Sub-human scum
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2010, 05:09:56 AM »
I never had a religion to start with in the first place, although I will tell you how I became an Strong Atheist, I wasn't one before say a few months ago. I was more Agnostic than anything else, mainly because apart from Islam I had not really read too much into religion. Atfer I have done a fair bit of reading into religion, I am convinced that god is a human invention and a psychological illusion (I have very seldom had, in fact I am puzzled by people who say to me they feel god in their lives).

My story,

I was raised by my avowedly atheist mother from age 4-13, then I moved with my dad and his then wife who subscribed to various new age stuff (including belief in Aliens visiting Earth). That experience affected me to the extent, I was always looking at Christianity from the position of an outsider and also I developed a solidly rationalistic, skeptical mindset.

Being open-minded and freethinking made me open in hearing about the ideas the Christians were preaching about. For a long time my main contact with Christians were with that of the liberal variety, I generally found them an all right lot and not terribly dogmatic. Since I have been at university for the last couple of years or so, I got to meet evangelical Christians. Being open-minded I started hearing about the gospel and reading the bible.

Compared to the Quran and Orthodox Islam, I did not find the evangelical Christians and their ideas all that threatening to my lifestyle. I guess the turning point for me lately has been, reading the bible more in-depth and in a way I did not before. Also reading works by ‘new atheist’ authors such as Dawkins, Harris, Onfray and Hitchens. Also my contact with Evangelical Christians has changed my views as well, I tend to see those people in having often a ‘correct’ interpretation of the bible, which my readings has confirmed. I am starting to evaluate seriously my neutral to slightly positive view of Christianity. I am also realizing the better Christians are the ones who don’t interpret the bible literally.

As the title of my post says, I have been through an 'atheist revival' akin to what happens to some Christians. My general apathy to Christianity and other religions are disappearing and I am becoming more critical of it, more in line with my view of Islam. Also far from seeing Dawkins, Dennett, Harris and Hitchens as 'loonies', I am to them and agree with their core message.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 05:12:23 AM by Xenu »
We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
-- Richard Dawkins

Offline General Razorbeard

• SINBINNED
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2010, 09:32:11 AM »
I dislike Darwinism, dictatorship and communism, but I accept Christianity, paganism, buddhism and democracy.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2010, 06:01:46 PM »
I dislike Darwinism, dictatorship and communism, but I accept Christianity, paganism, buddhism and democracy.

Without man, there would be no god.

richard

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2010, 02:05:23 PM »
I never had a religion to start with in the first place, although I will tell you how I became an Strong Atheist, I wasn't one before say a few months ago. I was more Agnostic than anything else, mainly because apart from Islam I had not really read too much into religion. Atfer I have done a fair bit of reading into religion, I am convinced that god is a human invention and a psychological illusion (I have very seldom had, in fact I am puzzled by people who say to me they feel god in their lives).

My story,

I was raised by my avowedly atheist mother from age 4-13, then I moved with my dad and his then wife who subscribed to various new age stuff (including belief in Aliens visiting Earth). That experience affected me to the extent, I was always looking at Christianity from the position of an outsider and also I developed a solidly rationalistic, skeptical mindset.

Being open-minded and freethinking made me open in hearing about the ideas the Christians were preaching about. For a long time my main contact with Christians were with that of the liberal variety, I generally found them an all right lot and not terribly dogmatic. Since I have been at university for the last couple of years or so, I got to meet evangelical Christians. Being open-minded I started hearing about the gospel and reading the bible.

Compared to the Quran and Orthodox Islam, I did not find the evangelical Christians and their ideas all that threatening to my lifestyle. I guess the turning point for me lately has been, reading the bible more in-depth and in a way I did not before. Also reading works by ‘new atheist’ authors such as Dawkins, Harris, Onfray and Hitchens. Also my contact with Evangelical Christians has changed my views as well, I tend to see those people in having often a ‘correct’ interpretation of the bible, which my readings has confirmed. I am starting to evaluate seriously my neutral to slightly positive view of Christianity. I am also realizing the better Christians are the ones who don’t interpret the bible literally.

As the title of my post says, I have been through an 'atheist revival' akin to what happens to some Christians. My general apathy to Christianity and other religions are disappearing and I am becoming more critical of it, more in line with my view of Islam. Also far from seeing Dawkins, Dennett, Harris and Hitchens as 'loonies', I am to them and agree with their core message.
that was a good read :plus:

at this point in my life i would become a christian, if it would help me. joel osteen seems to have what i want, i dont care if hes a tv preacher, hes always happy! about everything, is happyness like that learned? i dont know but i'd like to know the feeling