Educational

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Religion
« on: February 19, 2010, 06:21:05 PM »
This is for those evil non believers >:D

If you ever had it when did you lose it and why?

I even though I was raised Catholic never had it.  As a child I loathed Sunday school and church it never made sense to me whatsoever.  During church I would count and do math in my head and hope it was over soon.  In Sunday school I'd vaguely listen and if called upon bring into play the general stoke answers they wanted as I daydreamed and wished it was over .  Alter I went till the 8th grade I'd check out the girls in the class and think what they would call immoral thoughts as the preached against them.  So I never had A moment I turned I never remember believing.  So who is like this and who had that eureka moment and what was it?

Or the opposite what was your moment confirming you belief ?
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Re: Religion
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 07:07:07 PM »
You didn't talk about religion much in my house when growing up. :laugh:

My grandmother (dad's mom) was a big believer. My grandfather was diagnosed with lukemia when my dad was in his teens, my grandmother would hide money under the rug every month to mail to Oral Roberts for a "cure" while they did without, my grandfather would find it and all hell would break loose. So my father had quite an averision to organized religion.

Both my parents encouraged me to explore though when I became curious about it in my teens. I went to a few churches where they talked in tongues and rolled around on the floor, and shunned the rest of the population because "they were all going to hell." Went to the catholic church for awhile, explored the Methodists. Found too many hidden games of politics, and too many hippocrites.

I think the final straw was when I married my ex. MIL, & him were always quoting crap to me, because I didn't do as I "was told". Didn't matter that captain logic wasn't exactly piloting the tugboat.

Never really had it though, I've always had a hard time believing in things I can't see or prove for myself. I remember when I was 4 meeting another kid that had an imaginary "friend", I thought "this is cool, maybe if I imagine one enough, I can have one too"...that lasted about a week until I found out it doesn't work that way and it just seemed silly going around trying to imagine someone that wasn't there.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 07:19:43 PM »
I was brought up to believe in God, say my prayers etc. My family on my mothers side were historically Catholic, but I didn't formalise that until I became an adult and was baptised/confirmed.

I lived a pretty good life, going to church every week....and probably in some ways the discipline of trying to be good on a daily basis probably helped me to control AS (even though I didn't know I had it at the time).

I then turned away from it quite suddenly when I went through something extremely traumatic. I kind of wondered how God could let those things happen to a good person.....now, I know that's life and shit happens, but at the time, I felt ripped off and thought, what's the fucking point of trying to be good in this world.

I think I will go back someday, and I still believe there is a power in the universe greater than us....we just don't have the ability to perceive exactly what that is whilst in a physical form. I've been reading a book called Journey of Souls and it seems to make the most logical sense thus far about these types of concepts.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 07:44:18 PM »
i was raised christian.  i went to christian schools my whole life.

i lost faith in god when i lost faith in his religious leaders.  living my life so deep in the religion i saw alot of hippocracy.  i consider myself agnostic.  i cannot believe in something that cannot be proven.  god is a leap of faith.
i also believe that religion was created by man to tap into other mens hopes and fears.  hope and fear are the two best ways to control people who, apperently, have free will.

i do believe that the teachings, or morality, that are taught in the bible make alot of sense, and i do believe that they are a great foundation in which to raise a family.  that being said i do not think that the bible needs to be used to control or dictate how any society works.  people should have free will.  in america we have a huge voting block in the south callled 'the bible belt'.  these are ignorant southeners who are brainwashed into voting strictly by the standards that their religion dictates.  i think this is dangerous.
Misunderstood.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 08:01:18 PM »
  in america we have a huge voting block in the south callled 'the bible belt'.  these are ignorant southeners who are brainwashed into voting strictly by the standards that their religion dictates.  i think this is dangerous.

They scare me too and rightly so I believe.  What makes it worse a lot is up for interpretation and they use that to get the message the leaders of groups to belive

George Bernard Shaw

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 08:06:12 PM »
  in america we have a huge voting block in the south callled 'the bible belt'.  these are ignorant southeners who are brainwashed into voting strictly by the standards that their religion dictates.  i think this is dangerous.

They scare me too and rightly so I believe.  What makes it worse a lot is up for interpretation and they use that to get the message the leaders of groups to belive
and the politicians need their voting block (especially for the presidency)  so they cater to their needs.

the founding father two most brilliant concepts were the right to bear arms and seperation of church and state. 
it seems that both of these have been SEVERELY weakened.
Misunderstood.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 08:13:20 PM »

and the politicians need their voting block (especially for the presidency)  so they cater to their needs.

the founding father two most brilliant concepts were the right to bear arms and seperation of church and state. 
it seems that both of these have been SEVERELY weakened.

And need to return

George Bernard Shaw

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 08:31:30 PM »
freedom of speech is also important and also severly limited by the religious right in america.
Misunderstood.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 08:43:30 PM »
freedom of speech is also important and also severly limited by the religious right in america.

Is extremely important I'm glad I  live in the North East far fom the high concentrations of these freaks but we still have some.  They wanted to have a Bernstein Bear book banned in my town because it had ghosts in it and was therefor evil

George Bernard Shaw

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 08:46:36 PM »
and the massholes are able to teach same sex relationships in school which i agree with.
Misunderstood.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 08:48:27 PM »
and the massholes are able to teach same sex relationships in school which i agree with.

They do that in some cities in Ct too.  We have the same sex  marriages also :thumbup:

George Bernard Shaw

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 08:50:51 PM »

They do that in some cities in Ct too.  We have the same sex  marriages also :thumbup:
i view it as a step in the right direction.
let people live their lives anyway that makes them happy just so long as they don't harm others in their quest.
Misunderstood.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 08:56:50 PM »

let people live their lives anyway that makes them happy just so long as they don't harm others in their quest.
Now to get it to spread.  I have always liked working for gay couples they tend to have more money to spend and are freer with it than  heterosexual  couples.  Push they know what they want and always pay>

George Bernard Shaw

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 09:05:35 PM »

Now to get it to spread.  I have always liked working for gay couples they tend to have more money to spend and are freer with it than  heterosexual  couples.  Push they know what they want and always pay>
because they are often not spending their resources on children and both partners can work full time.

wanna get rich, bitch?  become a homosexual.
Misunderstood.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 09:09:04 PM »

because they are often not spending their resources on children and both partners can work full time.

wanna get rich, bitch?  become a homosexual.

Thought of that a long time ago and decided against it

George Bernard Shaw