Educational

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 1909 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: Religion
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 09:11:52 PM »
and the massholes are able to teach same sex relationships in school which i agree with.

They do that in some cities in Ct too.  We have the same sex  marriages also :thumbup:
i view it as a step in the right direction.
let people live their lives anyway that makes them happy just so long as they don't harm others in their quest.
Now to get it to spread.  I have always liked working for gay couples they tend to have more money to spend and are freer with it than  heterosexual  couples.  Push they know what they want and always pay>
because they are often not spending their resources on children and both partners can work full time.

wanna get rich, bitch?  become a homosexual.

Thought of that a long time ago and decided against it
me too.  i could do it i don't have any moral objections.  and i do get along better with men.

but i like the flavour of pussy way too much.
Misunderstood.

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 11:21:08 PM »
This is for those evil non believers >:D

If you ever had it when did you lose it and why?

I even though I was raised Catholic never had it.  As a child I loathed Sunday school and church it never made sense to me whatsoever.  During church I would count and do math in my head and hope it was over soon.  In Sunday school I'd vaguely listen and if called upon bring into play the general stoke answers they wanted as I daydreamed and wished it was over .  Alter I went till the 8th grade I'd check out the girls in the class and think what they would call immoral thoughts as the preached against them.  So I never had A moment I turned I never remember believing.  So who is like this and who had that eureka moment and what was it?

Or the opposite what was your moment confirming you belief ?

My experience is similar to yours, Parts, in that I listened politely to all the fanciful stories about people-swallowing whales, and boats that sailed the sea with every known animal on Earth aboard ("Hey! Where the hell did that dove come from?") and thought to myself, "Wow, these people really seem to take all this seriously! I'll just nod and play along." So no, no Eureka moment when I realised that the whole thing was a huge fraud; I never remember believing any of it either.

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 07:25:27 PM »
I can't remember the last time I believed.  I went to a Catholic Church last Christmas to be with my family and it all just seemed like a cult.

TheoK

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 01:40:43 PM »
I never really had it, I think. My father told me before I even had started school that there is no God and no life after this. He told me that the sun consisted of atoms colliding with each other, thus making energy.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 04:04:53 PM »
I can't remember the last time I believed.  I went to a Catholic Church last Christmas to be with my family and it all just seemed like a cult.

They do put on a good show though :laugh:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 04:48:46 PM »
I think God being baloney came at around the same time I realised the tooth fairy and Santa were not real. Just a logical extension of my own realisations, really...

Scrapheap

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 07:48:59 PM »
The brainwashing in my family went pretty deep. I was basically a Deist from 15-16 on to my early 20's before I figured out what a scam religion was.

Offline normal_impaired

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 09:53:36 PM »
My mother was raised in an excruciatingly catholic family, she understood that that was not the way to go and instead brought me and my brother to an Episcopalian church every sunday for most of my childhood.  I always tried to believe what I was told, but always had so many questions that nobody would answer.  Eventually I started getting in trouble in sunday school for asking too many questions about what they were preaching.  I continued to go until every sunday until I turned 19, being actively invlolved in the church, but gradually losing any faith in the diety.

Eventually, after a sunday school teacher told me to read the bible "from here to here, then here to here, then here to here" before the next sunday.  I instead went home and over the course of that week, managed to read the entire book cover to cover from Genesis to Revelation.  When I got back the next sunday, I had so many questions about different contradictions I noticed, etc.  I ended up getting scolded for reading more than I was told to (which I thought was absurd).  From having the conversations where I was supposed to explain my actions, where I instead got into deep converstations with other people in sunday school and ended up in some fierce debates.  I eventually developed a real knack for debating Christianity, and found out how much I enjoy it, not necessarily debating against the existence of deities (which I did still, to an extent, believe in at the time), but about problems with contradictions and issues in the biblical text.

After many years of thinking about it heavily and debating it in voice chat rooms on Yahoo (I used to go into Religion:4 every night under the name "railbuffrob") my natural desire to know facts and understand things logically began to overtake my loose faith and beliefs which I was trying so hard to continue believing.  In the end, (around age 19) I began to notice my debates were moving closer to a neutral standpoint, then closer to that of the Atheists.  This was my Autistic literal logical brain catching up to the years of childhood brainwashing and eventually overpowering the faith with me basically coming to the realization of "why am I trying so hard to believe something that makes no logical sense when there's something else that makes more sense and seems to be backed up with everything I learned in science classes.

The main thing that got me thinking was just the way that people take it all in blind faith and get offended when I mention that I believe the bible to be exaggerated in some places.  One good example is the virgin birth of Christ, back in a time when people would believe almost anything you told them and pre-marital sex was punished by having rocks thrown at you, a woman named Mary got either raped or knocked up, and rather than telling Joseph the truth which she knew would lead to her death, she made up a story about a virgin birth which the people soaked up.  See, this isn't saying that there is absolutely no god, it's just a more realistic perspective on what I read out of the bible.  This theory is what got a sunday school teacher to turn albino pale and then grab me by the arm and drag me to the priest's office where she told me to repeat what I said and thus shocked the priest enough that he called my mother, who then said "well, that makes some sense".

Basically, to answer your question simply put, my brain can't handle ridiculous stories nearly as well as it can handle cold hard logic.
Autism Speaks would like to remind you that you don't exist, because there are no Autistic adults and autistic children are too braindead to be able to use a computer.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 11:10:59 PM »
that is alot to read.
Misunderstood.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 01:49:54 PM »
Christians aren't big on fact checking there books

George Bernard Shaw

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 02:07:47 PM »
Fundamentalism. DeRp!!!!  :finger:
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 12:03:04 AM »
They just ignore or skip over certain chapters or verses.   That is how they are taught, really.    The Catholics are by far the worse as far as this goes.   Some churches actually encourage people to read the entire book, imagine that!
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 05:17:30 AM »
They just ignore or skip over certain chapters or verses.   That is how they are taught, really.    The Catholics are by far the worse as far as this goes.   Some churches actually encourage people to read the entire book, imagine that!

I went as far as 8th grade going to Sunday school as a Catholic and NEVER got told to read the bible  :laugh:

George Bernard Shaw

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 05:23:01 AM »

I went as far as 8th grade going to Sunday school as a Catholic and NEVER got told to read the bible  :laugh:
we were give an candy is we would memorize a new verse each week.

one week i really wanted the candy bar and was unprepared to i memorized john 11:35....jesus wept.   :laugh:
funny how i still remember that.
Misunderstood.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 05:27:09 AM »
candy for Jesus :laugh: :laugh: