Educational

Author Topic: Questions for Callaway  (Read 84814 times)

Binty

Re: Questions for Callaway
« Reply #2955 on: April 21, 2011, 03:24:30 PM »
Anyway.

One question still hasn't been answered:

Do you think you would feel the same if someone edited a post you made bout I2 as you would if they edited a post you made about your daughter's problems?

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2956 on: April 21, 2011, 03:29:32 PM »
Yes, I wonder why she refuses to answer it...  :scratchhead:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2957 on: April 22, 2011, 07:08:58 AM »
Yes, I wonder why she refuses to answer it...  :scratchhead:

I thought that you were just trolling, but I should have realized how much I hurt you by bringing up a subject that is still very painful for you and I apologize for that.  That was thoughtless, but I didn't set out to hurt you.  I'm having trouble thinking of a better analogy, which would be something you take seriously that wouldn't be so painful for you, but I should have thought of one.

To answer the question that was actually asked, I would feel irritated if someone edited a serious post I made, whether it was one that I spent a lot of time on about Intensity or whether it was about some problem my daughter was having.  I wouldn't mind so much if I posted somewhere where I had the expectation that my post would be edited before I posted it there, like the My Way or the Highway, but if I had spent a lot of time on it because I was answering someone's serious question that just happened to be there, I might still feel a little bit annoyed.

It takes me awhile to write a longer post because I type slowly, so I think that Dunc must have spent some time writing the post that set out his reasons for leaving Intensity and I thought that it was trolling to change it to a silly joke at his expense.  I have used the analogy that although Intensity might have been McJagger's, Eamonn's and Omega's baby to start with, Dunc sort of adopted us when he offered us space on his server when we didn't have a home to go to and it made a lot of people sad when he moved on.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2958 on: April 22, 2011, 07:13:34 AM »
The question was whether you would feel the same if someone edited a post you made about your daughter (to something derogatory about your daughter, that you hate her or somethign) as you would if they edited a post you made about I2?

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2959 on: April 22, 2011, 11:16:12 AM »
The question was whether you would feel the same if someone edited a post you made about your daughter (to something derogatory about your daughter, that you hate her or somethign) as you would if they edited a post you made about I2?

I think that I would be irritated if someone edited either post assuming that it was made with the expectation that it would not be edited, but I would be more angry if my post was changed to something derogatory about my daughter.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 11:26:56 AM by Callaway »

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2960 on: April 22, 2011, 11:21:44 AM »
There you go then. It's not a very good comparison

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2961 on: April 22, 2011, 11:26:41 AM »

It wasn't meant to be the exactly the same thing, but I'm still sorry that my choice of analogy hurt you.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2962 on: April 22, 2011, 11:29:04 AM »
It didn't hurt me - I just find it kind of stupid

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2963 on: April 22, 2011, 01:05:17 PM »

An analogy is a device for helping someone understand a point by putting it in overly-simplistic terms, it doesn't have to be perfect to convey a point.

:zoinks:

:zoinks:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2964 on: April 22, 2011, 01:09:29 PM »
It doesn't have to be perfect no, obviously it wouldnt work if the two things were exact. But there's gotta be some similarity there

It's like trying to explain what a headache is like by asking someon how they'd feel if they had cancer

A better analogy here would have been "how would you feel if someone had edited one of your serious posts about zomg?"

not something about someone who died, as that doesn'tt in any way show me what Callaway was getting at - it is TOO different

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2965 on: April 24, 2011, 10:56:36 AM »
Is it as serious as a death?

Death isn't serious.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2966 on: April 24, 2011, 11:00:54 AM »
to the people left behind it is

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2967 on: April 24, 2011, 11:01:49 AM »
And tbh, yes I do think someone dying is "more serious" than someone leaving an internet forum. You don't?

Oh My God.

Nobody ever said that and nobody ever implied that.  An analogy is not ... you know what, fuck it.  I give up.

(I'm the idiot for not realizing you are trolling me.  I deal with trolls all day long, guess I just had my blinders on in here :facepalm2:)

We weren't trolling.

Besides, no one asked you to get involved in the first place.  You're not a moderator here.

I don't think he realised he needed to be invited to the discussion, considering how we don't have moderators and all...
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2968 on: April 24, 2011, 11:04:01 AM »
to the people left behind it is

It can be, yes. To the dead, no.

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #2969 on: April 24, 2011, 11:05:07 AM »
 :agreed: