Author Topic: Questions for Callaway  (Read 84804 times)

midlifeaspie

Re: Questions for Callaway
« Reply #2925 on: April 20, 2011, 03:48:55 PM »
Is it as serious as a death?

Of course not.  That's a straw man and irrelevant to what Callaway is saying.  Honestly, I can't even tell what the issue is here.  You changed a post and she changed it back and that pisses you off?

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2926 on: April 20, 2011, 03:50:11 PM »

Of course not.  That's a straw man and irrelevant to what Callaway is saying.  Honestly, I can't even tell what the issue is here.  You changed a post and she changed it back and that pisses you off?

Huh? How is it irrelevat? SHE is the one who brought sophie up, not me. She was equating someone mocking her death with someone mocking dunc's post about leaving.

???

Binty

« Reply #2927 on: April 20, 2011, 03:50:57 PM »

How the hell is it irrelevant?  Callaway brought up the death of Sophie herself in the first place and compared someone editing Soph's post about Sophie, to what Soph did with Dunc's post.  

midlifeaspie

« Reply #2928 on: April 20, 2011, 03:54:06 PM »
Whoa  :zoinks:  Almost like a single mind over there. 

My point is that the severity doesn't have to be equal for her analogy to make sense.  I think most people would agree.  Again, this is the internet and people can't go around with score-cards to determine which analogies are acceptable based on a point scale.  An analogy is a device for helping someone understand a point by putting it in overly-simplistic terms, it doesn't have to be perfect to convey a point.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2929 on: April 20, 2011, 03:55:21 PM »
I still don't see how her analogy works. Mocking a death is completely different to mocking someone leaving a forum

Binty

« Reply #2930 on: April 20, 2011, 03:57:36 PM »
Not to mention, why bring up something that is a sensitive issue for Soph?

Callaway said that it's the only thing that Soph takes seriously, so naturally her analogy is that Dunc's leaving post should be treated equally seriously, which is laughable.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2931 on: April 20, 2011, 03:58:38 PM »

Huh? How is it irrelevat? SHE is the one who brought sophie up, not me. She was equating someone mocking her death with someone mocking dunc's post about leaving.

???

The fact that the example I chose for you was about Sophie was because that's one of the few subjects you take seriously and so you could understand that such a change would be intrusive.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2932 on: April 20, 2011, 03:59:21 PM »

???

The fact that the example I chose for you was about Sophie was because that's one of the few subjects you take seriously and so you could understand that such a change would be intrusive.

You still don't get it, do you?

It is NOT - THE - SAME

midlifeaspie

« Reply #2933 on: April 20, 2011, 04:01:47 PM »

It is NOT - THE - SAME

IT - DOESN'T - HAVE - TO - BE

It's a communicative device.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2934 on: April 20, 2011, 04:02:14 PM »
And what does it communicate to me?

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2935 on: April 20, 2011, 04:03:04 PM »

???

It is NOT - THE - SAME

I think that you are the one not getting it.  It's not meant to be exactly the same.  It's an analogy to help you understand that changing someone else's serious post for laughs is intrusive.

Binty

« Reply #2936 on: April 20, 2011, 04:05:35 PM »

???

It is NOT - THE - SAME

I think that you are the one not getting it.  It's not meant to be exactly the same.  It's an analogy to help you understand that changing someone else's serious post for laughs is intrusive.

I think you two are not getting what a serious post consists of.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2937 on: April 20, 2011, 04:06:21 PM »

Of course not.  That's a straw man and irrelevant to what Callaway is saying.  Honestly, I can't even tell what the issue is here.  You changed a post and she changed it back and that pisses you off?

???

It is NOT - THE - SAME

Yeah, I get THAT. I just don't think it shows that at all. If you used an example where someone was changing a post I'd made which was similar to Dunc's, then yes, that would show me whether it's intrusive or not. Using the example of a post about a friend who's died is obviously gonna have an entirely different affect. I wouldn't give a shit if someone edited a serious post which was about "serious" internet stuff. Someone dying though, that's not just a "serious post", is it?

Do you think you would feel the same if someone edited a post you made bout I2 as you would if they edited a post you made about your daughter's problems?

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2938 on: April 20, 2011, 04:07:04 PM »

I think you two are not getting what a serious post consists of.

This ^

A "serious post" about an internet forum is not in the same category as a serious post about a death ffs. You need a better analogy, Callaway

Osensitive1

« Reply #2939 on: April 20, 2011, 04:09:45 PM »
Have always understood guest posting and editing of the past was only allowed in the Free for All sub-forum. It that correct?