Author Topic: Questions for Callaway  (Read 84812 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Questions for Callaway
« Reply #1890 on: December 15, 2008, 08:22:28 PM »
How much practice does it take to qualify to get the permit?

I don't need a permit to buy a gun in Colorado if I intend to merely keep it in my own home for self defense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)#Colorado

If I wanted a concealed carry permit, then I would need to show a certificate showing that I completed a handgun training class and I would have to pass a CBI background investigation, which includes criteria like I'm not under a restraining order, I'm not an alcoholic or illegal drug user, I have never been committed to a mental institution, I'm not a criminal, etc.

There are at least two options for the class I could take to meet these requirements, a three-and-a-half hour class for people who are already familiar with shooting, or a ten hour class that includes live fire instruction.

TheoK

« Reply #1891 on: December 15, 2008, 08:33:44 PM »
3½ hour to get a RTC. In Sweden there is no right to carry at all and it takes six months to get a permit to keep a fucking .22 calibre pistol in your home and you need to stay in the shooting club and visit it regularly to keep the license. A gun for self-defense is out of question except for maybe a dozen persons a year and it needs at least something that you quit from the Hells Angels and has a secret identity. Anyone can't apply for it. The Brits have no right to even own pistols at all. Fucking Europe.  :grrr:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1892 on: December 15, 2008, 10:33:39 PM »
3½ hour to get a RTC. In Sweden there is no right to carry at all and it takes six months to get a permit to keep a fucking .22 calibre pistol in your home and you need to stay in the shooting club and visit it regularly to keep the license. A gun for self-defense is out of question except for maybe a dozen persons a year and it needs at least something that you quit from the Hells Angels and has a secret identity. Anyone can't apply for it. The Brits have no right to even own pistols at all. Fucking Europe.  :grrr:

Handguns are a nice option for concealed carrying, but for home defense, I insist that the most effective and safe weapon is a pump action, sawed off shotgun. The first round goes into the ceiling if it's nighttime to find, identify and confirm your target, then once you're sure that your house has been invaded by a stranger, you can easily take out two targets, before you move to another location. Move quickly, because if they shoot back they will shoot in the direction of your muzzle flash. No problem, if you moved quickly enough, because the following muzzle flash from the intruder's gun that you missed will mark the placement of your next shot. Then move again.

basic home defense ...
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

P7PSP

« Reply #1893 on: December 15, 2008, 10:42:14 PM »
What was the real cause of Catherine the Great's death?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1894 on: December 15, 2008, 11:05:20 PM »
Wrong, PlayStation!

An intruder at night has the upper hand, most often. The first shot is mainly to safeguard your family, by confirming your target BEFORE you kill. If you have a better way to flash the room with light and respond quickly, then do so. I would much rather shoot a hole in the ceiling, unnecessarily, than to accidentally shoot a family member or a drunken neighbor who crawled through the wrong window, for instance.
Obviously, if you can clearly see your target, there is no need to flash the room.

Accordingly, at night, the chances of committing a wrong-kill in the dark with the intention of protecting your home are about fifty:fifty. So your first shot is also to protect yourself and ensure a good shooting.

It doesn't really work with a handgun muzzle flash, unless you're shooting a magnum and in that case shooting through your ceiling is a very bad idea. Use a shotgun.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 11:21:07 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #1895 on: December 15, 2008, 11:09:30 PM »
You give me such a hard on your hot your husband better loose weight or else has to deal with me i "wanted" to mention that what are your hobbies? This bring back memories of cathy your both so nice too bad she wouldnt do it for herself. What kind of music do you listen to?
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

P7PSP

« Reply #1896 on: December 16, 2008, 12:04:57 AM »
Wrong, PlayStation!

An intruder at night has the upper hand, most often. The first shot is mainly to safeguard your family, by confirming your target BEFORE you kill. If you have a better way to flash the room with light and respond quickly, then do so. I would much rather shoot a hole in the ceiling, unnecessarily, than to accidentally shoot a family member or a drunken neighbor who crawled through the wrong window, for instance.
Obviously, if you can clearly see your target, there is no need to flash the room.

Accordingly, at night, the chances of committing a wrong-kill in the dark with the intention of protecting your home are about fifty:fifty. So your first shot is also to protect yourself and ensure a good shooting.

It doesn't really work with a handgun muzzle flash, unless you're shooting a magnum and in that case shooting through your ceiling is a very bad idea. Use a shotgun.
I prefer to use a momentary on flashlight and move, both to identify a target and to not fire unless necessary. Many of the newer lights available can nail a burglars eyes good and render him blind. Also I would be concerned about the police or DAs office deciding that shots into the ceiling could be construed as being careless or trigger happy. Also coming around a corner with a shotgun muzzle out can give them something to grab or be held so it couldn't be grabbed but might not be brought to bear on the target either. When mentioning short shotguns the NFA mandates a minimum barrel length of 18" and a minimum overall length of 26", to go any shorter legally requires paying the NFA $200 tax or the AOW $5 tax for something purpose built as a short barreled shotgun, either one of which requires giving prints to the BATFE and either assigning the weapon to a corporation or having the local Chief of Police or Sheriff (in unincorporated areas) sign off on it. Because of the potential problems in bringing a long gun around corners I prefer to use a .45 held in the Taylor low ready position. If the forward arm is grabbed jamming the muzzle into their chest/abdominal region and shooting will give them a worse wound because of the propellant gases following the bullet into the body. If you have an NFA license then obviously using a really short shotgun won't cause the legal heartburn that an illegal one would. Also if the plan is to hunker down in a particular room with the gun pointed at the entrance then a 12 gauge shotgun is obviously better than any pistol.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1897 on: December 16, 2008, 12:45:08 AM »
What was the real cause of Catherine the Great's death?

She died in bed of a cerebral hemorrhage.

P7PSP

« Reply #1898 on: December 16, 2008, 12:58:30 AM »
I guess the excesses of Caligula, Nero and various Popes made character assassination easier for her detractors. How many people were burned as Witches at Salemtown Mass.?

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1899 on: December 16, 2008, 01:05:33 AM »

Handguns are a nice option for concealed carrying, but for home defense, I insist that the most effective and safe weapon is a pump action, sawed off shotgun. The first round goes into the ceiling if it's nighttime to find, identify and confirm your target, then once you're sure that your house has been invaded by a stranger, you can easily take out two targets, before you move to another location. Move quickly, because if they shoot back they will shoot in the direction of your muzzle flash. No problem, if you moved quickly enough, because the following muzzle flash from the intruder's gun that you missed will mark the placement of your next shot. Then move again.

basic home defense ...

Wrong, PlayStation!

Wrong, PlayStation!

I prefer to use a momentary on flashlight and move, both to identify a target and to not fire unless necessary. Many of the newer lights available can nail a burglars eyes good and render him blind. Also I would be concerned about the police or DAs office deciding that shots into the ceiling could be construed as being careless or trigger happy. Also coming around a corner with a shotgun muzzle out can give them something to grab or be held so it couldn't be grabbed but might not be brought to bear on the target either. When mentioning short shotguns the NFA mandates a minimum barrel length of 18" and a minimum overall length of 26", to go any shorter legally requires paying the NFA $200 tax or the AOW $5 tax for something purpose built as a short barreled shotgun, either one of which requires giving prints to the BATFE and either assigning the weapon to a corporation or having the local Chief of Police or Sheriff (in unincorporated areas) sign off on it. Because of the potential problems in bringing a long gun around corners I prefer to use a .45 held in the Taylor low ready position. If the forward arm is grabbed jamming the muzzle into their chest/abdominal region and shooting will give them a worse wound because of the propellant gases following the bullet into the body. If you have an NFA license then obviously using a really short shotgun won't cause the legal heartburn that an illegal one would. Also if the plan is to hunker down in a particular room with the gun pointed at the entrance then a 12 gauge shotgun is obviously better than any pistol.

Thanks for the information.

My dad had a twelve gauge shotgun and a rifle, but I think he usually grabbed his shotgun if he needed to defend us.

I remember one time when I heard a Peeping Tom outside and another time when someone came into our back yard and stole the outboard motor off my dad's boat.

Both times he grabbed his shotgun and ran outside to confront them.

The Peeping Tom ran away and I saw him from my parent's bedroom window as he ran under the street light and my dad told the person who he caught in our back yard with the outboard motor in his hands, "You have stolen more than you can carry and outrun my double-ought buck shot," then the man threw down the motor and ran away.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1900 on: December 16, 2008, 01:18:30 AM »
I guess the excesses of Caligula, Nero and various Popes made character assassination easier for her detractors. How many people were burned as Witches at Salemtown Mass.?

None were burned.  Nineteen were hanged and one man who simply refused to enter a plea was pressed to death by piling heavy stones on a board that was on his chest.

More people were convicted of being witches, but they were never executed, some of them because they were pregnant and the executions were stayed until after they had given birth and some either died while being held in jail or else the sentence was never carried out because the witch hysteria finally ended.

P7PSP

« Reply #1901 on: December 16, 2008, 01:52:27 AM »
Martha Pennoyer Crowe was one of those hanged, and she was a great aunt, several times removed, of mine. Her husband Giles was a ballsy man and no relation of mine. When I first read of all of that stuff in 6th grade I had no idea of the relation to her. Years later I helped my Grandmother (who died last June) do research on the family in the Mormon Genealogical Library 1990 or 91 and found out. She mentioned that in her book and mistakenly wrote that Goody Crowe had been burned. She was a well educated woman, but these legends stick real well.

P7PSP

« Reply #1902 on: December 16, 2008, 01:58:58 AM »
Thanks for the information.

My dad had a twelve gauge shotgun and a rifle, but I think he usually grabbed his shotgun if he needed to defend us.

I remember one time when I heard a Peeping Tom outside and another time when someone came into our back yard and stole the outboard motor off my dad's boat.

Both times he grabbed his shotgun and ran outside to confront them.

The Peeping Tom ran away and I saw him from my parent's bedroom window as he ran under the street light and my dad told the person who he caught in our back yard with the outboard motor in his hands, "You have stolen more than you can carry and outrun my double-ought buck shot," then the man threw down the motor and ran away.
You're welcome, that's a hilarious story. I bet that criminal scum wanted nothing more to do with your house or your dad.

TheoK

« Reply #1903 on: December 16, 2008, 07:33:21 AM »
Damned lucky Yanks.  :-\ All I want is this. I just don't know where to buy it. That guy who killed the cop last year had an illegal gun and it was even more powerful than a 9 mm. I think it was a .44. Many Swedes sell their legal guns but are too cowardly to sell them illegally. Otherwise it'd be a piece of cake to remove the serial number and/or claim that it had been stolen. Though for the latter you'd have to fake a burglary.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 07:35:03 AM by TheoK »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1904 on: December 16, 2008, 01:12:52 PM »
Damned lucky Yanks. ...

It's NOT luck, Tig.

It's generations of fighting against the powers that would have us succumb to their ways. Not just a few token ones of us either, but very large numbers of us who have taken personal responsibility for our own well being and security. Once we roll back the fascist Homeland Security procedures, we will be once again able to be free in our lands. It will become more important that we sleep lightly in the future, but we can STILL do that.

Yes, we have been invaded by eurotrash types, demanding that we become another Euro state, but they are only noisy, not resourceful.
Many of us up standing, law abiding "Yanks" would consider those types to be treasonous in their pursuits.