Author Topic: Questions for Callaway  (Read 84818 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: Questions for Callaway
« Reply #1680 on: May 23, 2008, 02:11:24 PM »
When she says "Europe" does she put an "A" before it so that it sounds like "AEurope"?

Both my husband's parents do and it still makes me smile every time I hear it, because I believe that they think they don't even have accents.

:D

I'm having difficulty imagining what that sounds like.  Could you write it out phonetically?

Say "uh your up" very quickly, with almost no time between the syllables "uh" and "your."

They are just about to visit, so I will get a chance to hear it again soon.

:green:

Weird.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1681 on: May 23, 2008, 06:05:19 PM »
When she says "Europe" does she put an "A" before it so that it sounds like "AEurope"?

Both my husband's parents do and it still makes me smile every time I hear it, because I believe that they think they don't even have accents.

I'm having difficulty imagining what that sounds like.  Could you write it out phonetically?

Say "uh your up" very quickly, with almost no time between the syllables "uh" and "your."

Weird.

How do you say Europe, Peter?

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #1682 on: May 23, 2008, 06:10:37 PM »

Weird.

How do you say Europe, Peter?

Yew-rup.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1683 on: May 31, 2008, 03:24:57 PM »

Callaway, haven't you dispatched those flipping in-laws (or who ever they were), yet?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #1684 on: May 31, 2008, 03:43:46 PM »
You're up.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1685 on: June 01, 2008, 12:27:59 AM »

Callaway, haven't you dispatched those flipping in-laws (or who ever they were), yet?

Yes, they're dispatched, but they're mostly very sweet people.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1686 on: June 01, 2008, 03:08:06 AM »

Yes, they're dispatched, but they're mostly very sweet people.

You're lucky. I have ONE out of five brothers-in-law who is cool. The other four are not at all pleasant.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #1687 on: June 01, 2008, 03:58:35 PM »
I can't figure this out...  The pregnancy tests are 99% accurate, we have taken the test five times... what is the probability that we have received a false result five times?

My intuition is that every time you take the test, you have a 1% chance of receiving a false result... regardless of how many times you take the test.  Just like tossing the dice.  The previous toss has no bearing on the current toss.  But, I can't reconcile that in my brain.

I haven't taken any classes in this type of thing.

No real pressure, it's just a question that's been bugging me.  I can't figure it out, and that frustrates the hell out of me.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #1688 on: June 01, 2008, 04:02:29 PM »
I can't figure this out...  The pregnancy tests are 99% accurate, we have taken the test five times... what is the probability that we have received a false result five times?

My intuition is that every time you take the test, you have a 1% chance of receiving a false result... regardless of how many times you take the test.  Just like tossing the dice.  The previous toss has no bearing on the current toss.  But, I can't reconcile that in my brain.

No real pressure, it's just a question that's been bugging me.  I can't figure it out, and that frustrates the hell out of me.
Not if the pregnancy test fails to detect a pregancy for the same reason (e.g. the Hormone cannot be detected, or there is a false positive for another reason). Then it does not matter how many times you repeat the test, its still going to screw up. They are not independent events, im afraid.

ozymandias

« Reply #1689 on: June 01, 2008, 04:28:23 PM »

Not if the pregnancy test fails to detect a pregancy for the same reason (e.g. the Hormone cannot be detected, or there is a false positive for another reason). Then it does not matter how many times you repeat the test, its still going to screw up. They are not independent events, im afraid.

Pregnancy tests that you buy at a store are fairly accurate.  BUT, the only bonafide accurate test is a blood test done by your doctor!    Something thats been sitting on a shelf for umpteen weeks or months tends to degrade after a time! 

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #1690 on: June 01, 2008, 04:30:18 PM »

Pregnancy tests that you buy at a store are fairly accurate.  BUT, the only bonafide accurate test is a blood test done by your doctor!    Something thats been sitting on a shelf for umpteen weeks or months tends to degrade after a time! 
I take it though if you have certain medical conditions/are eating certain things then they tend to be inaccurate? Or have the ironed out that inaccuracy now?

ozymandias

« Reply #1691 on: June 01, 2008, 04:37:54 PM »

I take it though if you have certain medical conditions/are eating certain things then they tend to be inaccurate? Or have the ironed out that inaccuracy now?

You make a valid point.  It takes a blood test and then follow up tests to be certain.   The store bought tests are a scam, pure and simple! 

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1692 on: June 01, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »
Question for Callaway:  Do you know of a site that has an GAQ or instructions on how to sort of slipcover a couh using bedsheets?  I guess slipcovers are damn expensive but walmart sheets would prolly be affordable- and prolly worth it, too.  My couches are both hand-me-downs and were grungy as hell before I even got them.   :orly:
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1693 on: June 01, 2008, 08:18:59 PM »

If they were independent events, then the chance of getting five false positives would be (0.01)*(0.01)*(0.01)*(0.01)*(0.01) or something like a billion to one odds.

About the only way you would get five false positives is if Amy were taking HCG because of fertility treatments or something.

I doubt that you could have bought five outdated tests, and I think false negatives would be more likely in that case than false positives.

I have used a lot of home pregnancy tests and the current ones on the market are pretty accurate if you buy a reliable brand and use them as directed. 

Amy still will need to see a doctor, who will probably repeat the test and do some others as well, to figure out how far along she is and to start prenatal care, including prenatal vitamins.

When did her last period start?

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1694 on: June 01, 2008, 08:54:48 PM »
Question for Callaway:  Do you know of a site that has an GAQ or instructions on how to sort of slipcover a couh using bedsheets?  I guess slipcovers are damn expensive but walmart sheets would prolly be affordable- and prolly worth it, too.  My couches are both hand-me-downs and were grungy as hell before I even got them.   :orly:

This would be for the option for less sewing:

http://www.inoutdecor.com/Slipcovers/SofaSlipcover.htm

You could make it like this if you want it to be more custom fitted:

http://www.inoutdecor.com/Slipcovers/ChairProject.htm