Educational

Author Topic: Questions for Callaway  (Read 84809 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Questions for Callaway
« Reply #1665 on: May 09, 2008, 06:18:51 PM »
I grew up in Alabama

Do you have a southern accent?

I usually have a soft Southern accent, but if I go back home or talk to people from home, I have a more pronounced Southern accent, although not quite as pronounced as the Southern accent that I had while I was growing up.  I always had less of a Southern accent than the rest of my family and the other people around me; however, even when I was a child.

Why is that?  (the part about it being that you seem to have LESS accent than the rest of your family and friends where you grew up)

*just posted a real Question For Callaway*

I have always heard the same thing about myself. A week in Texas and my wife makes fun of me for talking like a hick (uhm, like my family does).

These days she accuses me of trying to sound "ignorant" on the telephone, because my Texas accent comes forth when I talk on the telephone.

I wonder why it would be so obvious that I have trouble maintaining a neutral sounding speech when I am on the phone.

BTW, I don't try to hide an accent, but I try to speak in a way that is more universally understood. Opening my mouth and not skipping vowels as much, for instances.

... or as it is said ... in a true Texas accent, all the letters kinda "lean on each other.".   I try hard to make all the letters all stand up, each on its own when I speak.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 06:28:18 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1666 on: May 09, 2008, 06:28:06 PM »
I grew up in Alabama

Do you have a southern accent?

I usually have a soft Southern accent, but if I go back home or talk to people from home, I have a more pronounced Southern accent, although not quite as pronounced as the Southern accent that I had while I was growing up.  I always had less of a Southern accent than the rest of my family and the other people around me; however, even when I was a child.

Why is that?

*just posted a real Question For Callaway*

I have always heard the same thing about myself. A week in Texas and my wife makes fun of me for talking like a hick (uhm, like my family does).

These days my wife accuses me of trying to sound "ignorant" on the telephone, because my Texas accent comes forth when I talk on the telephone.

I wonder why it would be so obvious that I have trouble maintaining a neutral sounding speech when I am on the phone.

I think that it is because you are under stress when you talk on the telephone.

I hear the same thing from my husband, but he wouldn't call it "talking like a hick."

Why does your wife think that a Texas accent sounds ignorant, I wonder?

What kind of accent does she have?

My husband has sort of an Indiana accent, because his dad grew up near New Harmony and his mom grew up near Purdue, where her father was a botany professor.

For me, it's when I talk to people who have a pronounced Southern accent that mine comes back.

Maybe I am a little like a chameleon, but if I really were like one, then I think I would have had the same accent as my family when I was growing up.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1667 on: May 09, 2008, 06:31:05 PM »

I think that she just notices the difference and wants to point it out to me.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1668 on: May 09, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1669 on: May 09, 2008, 06:32:39 PM »
Oh, most people from Indiana seem to think that anything southern is ignorant.

I think that Indiana is the most southern of northern states by that definition.

Sorry for all the editing, but I'm having a hell of a time trying to type right now.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 06:34:23 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1670 on: May 09, 2008, 06:33:08 PM »

She has lived here her whole life.

she talks through a corn tassel.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 06:36:41 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1671 on: May 09, 2008, 06:38:05 PM »
When she says "Europe" does she put an "A" before it so that it sounds like "AEurope"?

Both my husband's parents do and it still makes me smile every time I hear it, because I believe that they think they don't even have accents.

:D

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1672 on: May 09, 2008, 06:40:16 PM »
When she says "Europe" does she put an "A" before it so that it sounds like "AEurope"?

Both my husband's parents do and it still makes me smile every time I hear it, because I believe that they think they don't even have accents.

Yep!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1673 on: May 10, 2008, 02:32:42 PM »

Isn't that difficult? :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1674 on: May 10, 2008, 03:23:04 PM »

Isn't that difficult? :P

I is for me. It would be more so for you, guessing. I can't do it, but she acan and all her family can.

She can't make all the letters "kinda lean on each other,"  though. I can. I try not to, when Iam being interactive, but I can.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1675 on: May 11, 2008, 03:09:17 AM »
Callaway, where have you heard the Australian accent (I hope it is not just Steve Irwin) and now that I think of it, I may I have asked you this before...
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1676 on: May 11, 2008, 10:46:37 AM »
Callaway, where have you heard the Australian accent (I hope it is not just Steve Irwin) and now that I think of it, I may I have asked you this before...

Mostly on television, including Steve Irwin, but a few times in person from various people who were from Australia.

I don't remember answering this question before.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #1677 on: May 23, 2008, 08:25:15 AM »

I'm having difficulty imagining what that sounds like.  Could you write it out phonetically?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1678 on: May 23, 2008, 02:02:14 PM »

I'm having difficulty imagining what that sounds like.  Could you write it out phonetically?

Say "uh your up" very quickly, with almost no time between the syllables "uh" and "your."

They are just about to visit, so I will get a chance to hear it again soon.

:green:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1679 on: May 23, 2008, 02:05:13 PM »
Most people have accents of some kind, they just don't realise it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein