Educational

Author Topic: Questions for Callaway  (Read 84814 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Questions for Callaway
« Reply #705 on: August 28, 2007, 11:50:48 AM »
Is water blue?  Is air blue?  Is that why the sky is blue?  How come when you're in an airplane and you look out the window up as high as you can, the sky is far darker than it is on the ground?

We see the sky as blue because of our atmosphere. The gas molecules are smaller than the wavelength of visible light.  When light hits a gas molecule, some of it may get absorbed.  Then the molecule radiates the light in a different direction. The color that is radiated is the same color that was absorbed. The different colors of light are affected differently. All of the colors can be absorbed. But the higher frequencies (blues) are absorbed more often than the lower frequencies (reds). This process is called Rayleigh scattering. The blue color of the sky is due to Rayleigh scattering. As light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through. Little of the red, orange and yellow light is affected by the air.  However, much of the shorter wavelength light is absorbed by the gas molecules. The absorbed blue light is then radiated in different directions. It gets scattered all around the sky.  Since you see the blue light from everywhere overhead, the sky looks blue.

The atmosphere is denser near the horizon, so as you look closer to the horizon, the sky appears much paler in color. To reach you, the scattered blue light must pass through more air. Some of it gets scattered away again in other directions. Less blue light reaches your eyes. The color of the sky near the horizon appears paler or white.  

When you are at higher altitude, such as the top of a mountain or in an airplane, the atmosphere is thinner, so the sky appears to be a darker blue.

There is no atmosphere at all in space to scatter light, so the sky looks black from space.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #706 on: August 28, 2007, 12:08:16 PM »
i
i see words in my head too, if i think of the word and want to see it. i think it's kind of impossible not to see it in some weird way. i mean it's like thinking about a person, you see their face on some level.

I *hear* words in my head as I read or write them - which sometimes leads to me writing,  say, "right" istead of "write" , or "you're"  insted of "your" , if I'm not firing on all cylinders.  I 'm not conscious of visualising them, but I suppose I must, to a degree, or else I wouldn't remember how to spell them, would I? (but, like i said, my visual memory is crap, so it mystifies me that I manage to do that at all).

Just to complicate matters, I have  Auditory Processing Disorder, so if somebody says an unfamilar  word (or a familiar word, but with insufficient contextual information to distuinguish it from similar-sounding words) I've no idea how to hear it in my head, or repeat it back, or spell it phonetically, until I actually see it written down.

So, I have a better memory for aural input, but a much better comprehension of written input. I need both. (So, when I read a text, i'm always reading it aloud to myself in my head, and it amazed me to find that some people don't)

I certainly hear words in my mind and often use the wrong homonym.
I have at least three different levels of "looking at things." I can look for specific details, like phone numbers, sometimes and it becomes permanent as stone in my mind or I can look in a way that allows me to delete or not respond to an annoyance. Coping with an annoyance "looking" never seems to enter my memory. I can also do a near perfect deep registering scan of things I need to remember and I even refer back to them in the future and "re-read" details from picture memory that I may have forgotten. I have had to prove that one a number of times and been told it is a "gift."  I used to think that everyone did this. Someone says "I can't remember. Let me think."  But what are they thinking of? I know I am re-scanning my pictures  for details I need, but others seem to not understand this, except that it works for me.

I also have some kinda cute sensory crossovers, involving aural and visual mixing. I perceive and store memories of sound pictures  from where I've been and I find it hard to explain this to people. I do know that this ability has aided me in my pursuits of acoustical engineering phenomena.

It seems to take some effort to see clearly, without aural mixing of stimuli, once I become fatigued. It sounds psychedelic, but it's just me and my shit.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #707 on: August 28, 2007, 12:54:51 PM »
i
i see words in my head too, if i think of the word and want to see it. i think it's kind of impossible not to see it in some weird way. i mean it's like thinking about a person, you see their face on some level.

I *hear* words in my head as I read or write them - which sometimes leads to me writing,  say, "right" istead of "write" , or "you're"  insted of "your" , if I'm not firing on all cylinders.  I 'm not conscious of visualising them, but I suppose I must, to a degree, or else I wouldn't remember how to spell them, would I? (but, like i said, my visual memory is crap, so it mystifies me that I manage to do that at all).

Just to complicate matters, I have  Auditory Processing Disorder, so if somebody says an unfamilar  word (or a familiar word, but with insufficient contextual information to distuinguish it from similar-sounding words) I've no idea how to hear it in my head, or repeat it back, or spell it phonetically, until I actually see it written down.

So, I have a better memory for aural input, but a much better comprehension of written input. I need both. (So, when I read a text, i'm always reading it aloud to myself in my head, and it amazed me to find that some people don't)

I certainly hear words in my mind and often use the wrong homonym.
I have at least three different levels of "looking at things." I can look for specific details, like phone numbers, sometimes and it becomes permanent as stone in my mind or I can look in a way that allows me to delete or not respond to an annoyance. Coping with an annoyance "looking" never seems to enter my memory. I can also do a near perfect deep registering scan of things I need to remember and I even refer back to them in the future and "re-read" details from picture memory that I may have forgotten. I have had to prove that one a number of times and been told it is a "gift."  I used to think that everyone did this. Someone says "I can't remember. Let me think."  But what are they thinking of? I know I am re-scanning my pictures  for details I need, but others seem to not understand this, except that it works for me.

I also have some kinda cute sensory crossovers, involving aural and visual mixing. I perceive and store memories of sound pictures  from where I've been and I find it hard to explain this to people. I do know that this ability has aided me in my pursuits of acoustical engineering phenomena.

It seems to take some effort to see clearly, without aural mixing of stimuli, once I become fatigued. It sounds psychedelic, but it's just me and my shit.

Interesting.

I can easily understand that concept of scanning your pictures for details you need. I'm sure I do the same, if I'm trying to recover some visual information...just not very effectively. My mental pictures turn out to contain far too many ambiguitiies and blank areas. And they're pretty disorganised. So when I say "let me think" I'm metally leafing though a scrapbook, desperately hoping  that the requisite "picture" is stored in there somewhere.At least I know my limitations, though.  You know the phenomenomenom of "reconstructive memory"? where people fill in the blanks and ambiguities retrospectively, in the light of new information. (That's why you shouldn't ask witnesses "leading questions").  I think I'm much less prone to doing that than most people are.

But why the heck do we tend to think of memory as either visual or auditory in nature? My memories actually consist of a jumble of all kinds of sensory impressions, along with associated flashbacks to  my internal thoughts and feelings of the time. The latter create the strongests, clearest, most reliable  impressions, and I'm not sure that's so unusual, it's  just harder to describe, and not the kind of information that's normally required.

It would be great to have an eidetic memory like yours.  I used to have a similar thing for the spoken word. I seemed to automatically tape-record anything said in my hearing, even when my attention was elsewhere. It came in handy when people asked , suspiciously "What did I just say?" . All I had to do was re-wind the tape a little way, then repeat the spiel word-for-word   :laugh:.  My ex-husband says he knew damned well that  I wasn't listening to him, much of the time, but he never could prove it!

Anyway, internal my tape-recorder broke down , years ago,  and now I have to rely on the normal sort of vague memory *sigh*.  Unless I make a special effort to memorise something word-for-word,  I usually recall the meaning that I think the speaker intended to convey, rather than their exact words , as heard(sometyhing I've often noticed other people doing). That's slightly worrying. So now, I try to keep a sharp look-out for unitentional double-entendres and such, in case i memorise my own misconceptions by mistake.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 12:56:52 PM by DrunkardsWalk »

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #708 on: August 28, 2007, 03:18:45 PM »
Is water blue?  Is air blue?  Is that why the sky is blue?  How come when you're in an airplane and you look out the window up as high as you can, the sky is far darker than it is on the ground?
about an houtr after i saw your cock pic, my balls were blue. 8)
Misunderstood.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #709 on: August 28, 2007, 03:36:43 PM »

We see the sky as blue because of our atmosphere. The gas molecules are smaller than the wavelength of visible light.  When light hits a gas molecule, some of it may get absorbed.  Then the molecule radiates the light in a different direction. The color that is radiated is the same color that was absorbed. The different colors of light are affected differently. All of the colors can be absorbed. But the higher frequencies (blues) are absorbed more often than the lower frequencies (reds). This process is called Rayleigh scattering. The blue color of the sky is due to Rayleigh scattering. As light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through. Little of the red, orange and yellow light is affected by the air.  However, much of the shorter wavelength light is absorbed by the gas molecules. The absorbed blue light is then radiated in different directions. It gets scattered all around the sky.  Since you see the blue light from everywhere overhead, the sky looks blue.

The atmosphere is denser near the horizon, so as you look closer to the horizon, the sky appears much paler in color. To reach you, the scattered blue light must pass through more air. Some of it gets scattered away again in other directions. Less blue light reaches your eyes. The color of the sky near the horizon appears paler or white.  

When you are at higher altitude, such as the top of a mountain or in an airplane, the atmosphere is thinner, so the sky appears to be a darker blue.

There is no atmosphere at all in space to scatter light, so the sky looks black from space.

:clap: :plus:

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #710 on: September 06, 2007, 05:33:25 AM »
How come bread goes bad so much faster when you put it on top of the 'fridge?  I put some hamburger buns up there a while back and now went to use them, and the bottom is all mushy, and the tops are desiccated.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #711 on: September 06, 2007, 06:56:30 AM »
How come bread goes bad so much faster when you put it on top of the 'fridge?  I put some hamburger buns up there a while back and now went to use them, and the bottom is all mushy, and the tops are desiccated.

Heat promoting spoiling?
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline mordok

• The Ultimate Question of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #712 on: September 06, 2007, 07:00:59 AM »

Heat promoting spoiling?

My theory as well -- Heat from the back rolling over the top.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #713 on: September 06, 2007, 07:04:18 AM »

Heat promoting spoiling?

why is the bottom all mushy?
Misunderstood.

Offline mordok

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #714 on: September 06, 2007, 07:15:59 AM »

Heat promoting spoiling?

Again theory -- thermal variants between the inside and outside of the bag causing condensation in the bag that then runs down to the bottom of the bag to be absorbed by the bottom of the bread.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #715 on: September 06, 2007, 07:20:37 AM »

Heat promoting spoiling?

Again theory -- thermal variants between the inside and outside of the bag causing condensation in the bag that then runs down to the bottom of the bag to be absorbed by the bottom of the bread.
oh, i forgot that we were talking about bread. :laugh:  :moon:
Misunderstood.

Offline mordok

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #716 on: September 06, 2007, 07:25:04 AM »

Heat promoting spoiling?

oh, i forgot that we were talking about bread. :laugh:  :moon:

I'm not sure you ever were.  :P

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #717 on: September 06, 2007, 07:26:03 AM »
so then, why is the bottom all mushy?
Misunderstood.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #718 on: September 06, 2007, 11:57:19 AM »
so then, why is the bottom all mushy?

I think Mordok is correct. 

The bottom of the bread is mushy because the temperature varies on the top of the refrigerator and that causes condensation in the plastic bread bag, which soaks the bottom of the bread and dries out the top.

If the refrigerator has coils to disperse the heat on the back, then the heat would come over the top of the refrigerator and the heat would increase the growth of mold.

My refrigerator has coils on the bottom, so I do keep things on top of it, but not bread.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #719 on: September 21, 2007, 06:15:05 PM »
Is there a way to set it so that certain threads
don't show up as having new postings?

There are some that I like to ignore, and
this would be useful.