Author Topic: Questions for Callaway  (Read 84814 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Questions for Callaway
« Reply #690 on: August 27, 2007, 06:51:06 AM »
I think my mental processes are far more auditory than visual, but am not totally sure.  I usually get screwed up by complicated action scenes in books if too many people are involved/it goes on too long, and descriptions of landscapes don't do a lot for me.  On the other hand, I adore dialogue; reading/writing it.  Tradeoff?  I do indeed dream, with visuals.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #691 on: August 27, 2007, 06:56:54 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me if you  can't even send links by PM on there anymore, but its pretty shocking when you think about it isn't it?

Maybe it's being word filtered?
I'll test it.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #692 on: August 27, 2007, 06:57:25 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me if you  can't even send links by PM on there anymore, but its pretty shocking when you think about it isn't it?

Maybe it's being word filtered?
I'll test it.
A broken link?

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #693 on: August 27, 2007, 06:58:41 AM »
Oh, I thought it was a link to here,
which wasn't showing in a PM.

Anyhow, works fine for me.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #694 on: August 27, 2007, 10:51:04 AM »
I'm not sure that your ex was an ass, but he seemed to put you down a lot.

I make pictures in my mind too and it took me quite a while to realize that not everyone could.  My husband is dyslexic and he can't spell well and I decided to try to teach him because I am a really good speller.  I showed him a word spelled correctly and said, just picture it in your mind this way.  I found out that he can't.  He can sort of picture other things though.  For example, he can read Kanji pretty well, so he must be picturing it.

Reminds me of a scene in Benny & Joon where Joon is teaching Sam how to spell words through finger painting them. Sam is dyslexic too according to the movie director. I told my boyfriend the trick is to use Microsoft Word and it will point out his spelling errors. I use that program when I do long posts so I won't have to proof read and I type fast. I help him with spelling when he makes posts. He just asks me how to spell some words he doesn't know how to spell.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #695 on: August 27, 2007, 11:02:32 AM »
I can see words in my head too but I also see images. When I read I get images but if I can't see the image or can't make one, I have no clue what is going on in the scene. I avoid books that are too abstract. If I am reading a story and I have no clue what it going on in it, I stop reading it. I do the same with books. But if it's for a school assignment, I have no choice. I just read and get it over with. The books I had to read in English when I was 18 were abstract and everyone in class had troubles reading them because they didn't get what was going on in the book so every class, the teacher would sit at the front of the class and tell us what is going on in the book so far. My aid had to buy Sparky Notes on the book I was reading that tells what is going on in the book and helps you understand the story better. I felt better about myself because it meant I wasn't stupid for not being able to comprehend what i was reading and hey lot of people have troubles with it or there would be no Sparky Notes. My last boyfriend said they were all idiots and he kept saying the kids in my school were special ed too and I told him "No they were normal kids," and he said "No they weren't and I said "No normal kids, not in special ed." and then he say they were just idiots and he was surprised when he found out 1/3 of my school was in special ed and he thought was it some special school I went too and I said "No it was a normal school, lot of people have disabilities. That's why there is no such thing as normal or there be very few normal people in the world." Then he thought the school was just lazy and they mainstream anyone, even the normal kids who are idiots and lazy and they dummy up the work like they did for me he says.

Lot of kids in my school had dyslexia but lot of them didn't mainstream special ed. Then my last BF thought oh that explains why they couldn't comprehend what they were reading. I told him my aid had troubles understanding the books too I was reading so she had to buy sparky notes to help her out so she can help me.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #696 on: August 27, 2007, 11:18:32 PM »
Can non-dyslexic people suddenly develop dyslexia? Lately I'll see numbers/letters a little scrambled and have to look a few times before noticing how they really are. Maybe it's a problem with my eyes though...I did read "thepeaguy" as "theapeguy" for the longest time, and tesla as telsa...

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #697 on: August 27, 2007, 11:32:18 PM »
Can non-dyslexic people suddenly develop dyslexia? Lately I'll see numbers/letters a little scrambled and have to look a few times before noticing how they really are. Maybe it's a problem with my eyes though...I did read "thepeaguy" as "theapeguy" for the longest time, and tesla as telsa...

I would guess that it happens, perhaps with some accident or illness that affects certain parts of the brain, but it is more rare than someone who was somewhat dyslexic from childhood onward and who recognized the symptoms only as an adult.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #698 on: August 28, 2007, 01:01:47 AM »
Is also reading a question backwards part of dyslexia? My last BF said it was and I do that but not all the time. I also tend to misread words.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #699 on: August 28, 2007, 01:27:03 AM »

I would guess that it happens, perhaps with some accident or illness that affects certain parts of the brain, but it is more rare than someone who was somewhat dyslexic from childhood onward and who recognized the symptoms only as an adult.

Stress will also do that to you.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #700 on: August 28, 2007, 06:40:21 AM »

That's what I was thinking, or eye strain.  I might add that I thought that peaguy's name was apeguiy for at least the first month I say him around WP (back in the day).
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #701 on: August 28, 2007, 07:17:12 AM »

That's what I was thinking, or eye strain.  I might add that I thought that peaguy's name was apeguiy for at least the first month I say him around WP (back in the day).

I read his name correctly, but misunderstood the moniker to mean that he was the one being peed on, instead of making all the piss, himself.
:laugh:

I believe exhaustion, fatigue and stress all bring dyslexic tendencies to the forefront. I don't "test positive" for dyslexia (I was tested at forty eight years old), but when I'm tired or overstressed, I begin to talk backwards, just like my daughter used to (reversed or reciprocal meanings to word usage). My daughter has been diagnosed with dyslexia, as has my wife, and I know their own particular symptoms become more severe for both of them during times of stress. I wonder if this is commonly or widely experienced, by others.

For a long time, I did not know that there were almost as many different flavors of dyslexia as there are autism.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #702 on: August 28, 2007, 09:39:13 AM »
Is water blue?  Is air blue?  Is that why the sky is blue?  How come when you're in an airplane and you look out the window up as high as you can, the sky is far darker than it is on the ground?
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #703 on: August 28, 2007, 10:51:14 AM »

I read his name correctly, but misunderstood the moniker to mean that he was the one being peed on, instead of making all the piss, himself.
:laugh:

I believe exhaustion, fatigue and stress all bring dyslexic tendencies to the forefront. I don't "test positive" for dyslexia (I was tested at forty eight years old), but when I'm tired or overstressed, I begin to talk backwards, just like my daughter used to (reversed or reciprocal meanings to word usage). My daughter has been diagnosed with dyslexia, as has my wife, and I know their own particular symptoms become more severe for both of them during times of stress. I wonder if this is commonly or widely experienced, by others.

For a long time, I did not know that there were almost as many different flavors of dyslexia as there are autism.

I tested negative for dyslexia, at the age of 38.  And yet I showed all of the classic symptoms during chilhood, to a very marked degree, and I stlil can't follow dancesteps, tie knots, etceteras.  And I still read and write a lot more slowly and carefully. than most Also, I sometimes read and (more often ) spell dyslexically, mostly depending on how tired I am.  I don't believe that dyslexia "just goes away". I think I've developed coping mechanisms down the years, that's all.

Luckily, I  did show signs of dysgraphia and poor visual memory, which was enough to get me the free pc I needed for my BSc course ;D

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #704 on: August 28, 2007, 11:23:18 AM »
i
i see words in my head too, if i think of the word and want to see it. i think it's kind of impossible not to see it in some weird way. i mean it's like thinking about a person, you see their face on some level.

I *hear* words in my head as I read or write them - which sometimes leads to me writing,  say, "right" istead of "write" , or "you're"  insted of "your" , if I'm not firing on all cylinders.  I 'm not conscious of visualising them, but I suppose I must, to a degree, or else I wouldn't remember how to spell them, would I? (but, like i said, my visual memory is crap, so it mystifies me that I manage to do that at all).

Just to complicate matters, I have  Auditory Processing Disorder, so if somebody says an unfamilar  word (or a familiar word, but with insufficient contextual information to distuinguish it from similar-sounding words) I've no idea how to hear it in my head, or repeat it back, or spell it phonetically, until I actually see it written down.

So, I have a better memory for aural input, but a much better comprehension of written input. I need both. (So, when I read a text, i'm always reading it aloud to myself in my head, and it amazed me to find that some people don't)