Author Topic: Your musical tastes  (Read 3290 times)

Offline Untermensch

• Galactic Dictator
  • Constant Poster
  • Sub-human scum
Your musical tastes
« on: September 26, 2009, 11:13:12 PM »
What sort of music you like and what sort of music you dont like, may I ask?

I like Alternative and Indie Rock, stuff like the The Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Muse, Ladyhawke, Radiohead, Kings of Leon, Placebo, The Vines, Netural Milk Hotel, PJ Harvey, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Pearl Jam, some 80's New Wave and also a little Punk and Post-Punk (like The Sex Pistols and Joy Division).

I dislike emo, RnB, Techno, a lot of hip-hop and the more recent pop (like Britney Spears for example).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 11:18:51 PM by UnknownPleasures »
We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
-- Richard Dawkins

Offline maldoror

• Bipolar Marksman of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • shwing
Re: Your musical tastes
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 11:59:27 PM »
I'm wearing a shirt with that album cover on it right now. So yeah, I like Joy Division. I have to admit I've grown out of them a bit lately but when I was younger Closer was like my third favorite album out of hundreds that I'd listened to.

These days I'm really drifting out of rock music. I still listen to more experimental and free form stuff, like Fushitsusha, and I still listen to metal.

I've gotten into ambient pretty recently. I discovered Klimek, and I've been listening to old favorites by William Basinski and Tetsuo Inoune often.

I try to listen to classical but I still don't fully understand it. The stuff I like most is from Teiji Ito, Toru Takemitsu, Sergei Rachmaninoff, and Arvo Part. I feel like I understand these composers more than most others.
!!Super atomic enema!!

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 03:52:04 AM »
Mostly 60s, 70s and some 80s. Rock, pop, and chart stuff.

Favourite groups are Beatles, Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Doors, The Band, Wings, Deep Purple, Crowded House, Split Enz.

Favourite artists are Billy Joel, Elton John (up to 1983), Janis Joplin, Carole King, Simon & Garfunkel, Barry Ryan, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton.

Rap, r'n'b, house, and all this modern shite aren't worth anything.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 05:13:18 AM »
Mostly electronic stuff (IDM, Techno Ambient, Musique Concrete and other older forms of electronic from the 40s-70s, Berlin School, Minimalist etc.), post punk, new wave, kraut rock, bit of prog, classical music, some indie and so on.

I'm fairly open really, although I really hate metal/rap/chav choons/silly bubblegum pop/pop punk/emo. I will like music even if it's new, but most of the chart stuff seems crap to me.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:17:50 AM by MrShledge »

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 06:28:23 AM »
I like classical, symphonic metal, heavy metal, instrumentals, anything that's has strength or complexity (as in, like a symphony of instruments, the structure of how it progresses, and vocals when listening to classical music) to it. My favourite band is Epica because I love the combined classical and metal style.

Anything that lacks both qualities of strength and complexity I usually don't like.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 06:37:36 AM by Singularity »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Blasted

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 07:02:57 AM »
Eurgh I can never define what my musical taste is so I'll just list a couple of bands/people I like:

Joy Division, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Elliott Smith, Kitchens of Distinction, Mew, Sad Lovers and Giants, New Order, CocoRosie (but only a couple of songs - their voices get too annoying on others), The Organ, Metric, Stars, M83, Kaki King, Echo and the Bunnymen, Sonic Youth, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Bloc Party, Cat Power, Pixies, Frank Sinatra, The Smiths, The White Stripes, Sufjan  Stevens, Fleetwood Mac, The Cure, God is an Astronaut, Adorable, Laura Marling, Fischerspooner, David Bowie, Jose Gonzalez, Frou Frou, The Smashing Pumpkins, Tegan and Sara, Billy Bragg, Moscow Olympics, La Roux, Ladytron, Blondie, The Chameleons, Hum, Sleater-Kinney, Regina Spektor, The Velvet Underground, The Mars Volta, The Jam, Sex Pistols, Buddy Holly, Public Image Ltd., Love, Le Tigre, Los Campesinos!, The Shangri-Las, Shiny Toy Guns, MGMT, Sigur Ros, The Rolling Stones, The Stooges, Ingrid Michaelson, Peaches, The La's, Interpol, Elvis Presley, SoKo, Nick Drake, Cat Stevens, The Kinks, Hooverphonic, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Magneto, The Breeders, Imogen Heap, The Knife, Jimi Hendrix, The Cranberries, The Buggles, Dinosaur Jr., Lykke Li, Talking Heads, Bjork, CSS

and so on, so on, so on  :facepalm2:

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 07:11:06 AM »
I left out shitloads too. I could have included Fleetwood Mac and ELO amongst mine as well.

You forget about how much stuff there is out there.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 10:31:44 AM »
Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, B.O.C., Black Sabbath, Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Rush, Boston, AC/DC, Metallica, Nickelback, Tom Petty.

Leaving out quite a few I'm sure, but those are the first that come to mind.

TheoK

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 10:33:01 AM »
Beethoven, Mozart, Grieg and Wagner. BRAVE!  8)

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I do not have the right not to do so
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 12:24:05 PM »
Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, B.O.C., Black Sabbath, Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Rush, Boston, AC/DC, Metallica, Nickelback, Tom Petty.

Why'd you fuck it all up by saying Nickelback!?!?  :thumbdn:
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

"When men lead by words that are false as they preach
Fatality waits in the wings
Surrounded by fools behind walls that are breached
Beware of the jester that sings"

Leeeeeaaaave Benji alooooooone!  :bigcry:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 12:30:58 PM »
Rammstein, Radiohead, System of a Down, MGMT, Kings of Leon, The Knife, Red Army Choir, Chopin, Maksim, Nirvana, Mr. Bungle, Placebo, The Prodigy, Metallica, Eminem, Katatonia, ATB, Amorphis

I like metal, industrial, some indie, some classical, some electronic, some hip hop

I can't think of any country music that I like and I usually don't like poppy chart stuff

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I do not have the right not to do so
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 12:34:13 PM »
Rammstein, Radiohead, System of a Down, MGMT, Kings of Leon, The Knife, Red Army Choir, Chopin, Maksim, Nirvana, Mr. Bungle, Placebo, The Prodigy, Metallica, Eminem, Katatonia, ATB, Amorphis

I like metal, industrial, some indie, some classical, some electronic, some hip hop

I can't think of any country music that I like and I usually don't like poppy chart stuff

like them?
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

"When men lead by words that are false as they preach
Fatality waits in the wings
Surrounded by fools behind walls that are breached
Beware of the jester that sings"

Leeeeeaaaave Benji alooooooone!  :bigcry:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 12:35:23 PM »
the songs I've heard yeah

I haven't listened to every song they've done, but I listen to quite a lot of them regularly

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 12:37:15 PM »
Thank fuck I'm out of my music snob stage. Seems Benji here took that place.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 12:45:07 PM »

Why'd you fuck it all up by saying Nickelback!?!?  :thumbdn:

:tongue: