Author Topic: "Facebook police raided my family barbecue"  (Read 628 times)

Blasted

"Facebook police raided my family barbecue"
« on: September 03, 2009, 04:53:09 PM »
Riot police stormed a 30th birthday party for just 15 people and shut it down, thinking it was a rave because it was advertised on Facebook.

Four police cars, a riot van and a helicopter were involved in the swoop on Andrew Poole's gathering for his family and friends.

He was just about to light the barbecue and had not even turned on the music when the gazebo suddenly started flapping wildly and the sound of chopper blades filled the air.

Eight officers wearing camouflage trousers and body armour jumped out and demanded that the 'rave' to be shut down.

Mr Poole said: 'We were nowhere near anyone. We weren't even playing any music. What effectively the police did was come in and stop 15 people eating burgers.'

The party was organised using the create an event facility on Facebook.

Mr Poole, a coach driver, said he invited 17 family and friends and two had not even arrived by the time the helicopter was whirring overhead.

Mr Poole said: 'All of a sudden there was this noise in the sky. The thing then hovered over us for about 25 minutes, watching 15 people eat. They told us to take down the sound system and said everybody's got to leave.

'It was 4pm and we hadn't even plugged the music in yet. We tried to reason with them but they were having none of it.'

Mr Poole said he spent £800 on food and a generator.

Yesterday, police insisted they were right to end the party. 'We were extremely concerned how the event had been advertised on the internet as an all-night party,' a spokesman said.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?Facebook_police_raid_family_barbecue&in_article_id=704672&in_page_id=34

Fucking prats :LMAO:

TheoK

Re: "Facebook police raided my family barbecue"
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 04:55:02 PM »
Stuoid cops. I hope they'll lose their jobs for this.  :thumbdn:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 04:57:05 PM »
He even tried reasoning with them but they refused to listen to him.  He had invited only 17 people total, but 15 showed up.

Blasted

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 05:02:34 PM »
Once the hilarity of the whole situation wore off, it's kinda frightening to think that this is what the police spends their time and our money doing - raiding family barbecues.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 05:03:45 PM »
I'd have told them to fuck off and do something they are actually getting paid for. What goes on on private property is nobody else's business, and the cops have to have 'reasonable suspicion' when entering a premises. Stormtrooper tactics went out with the Nazis, and those assholes should be fucked well and truly.

PROTIP for any cops that may be reading this. No law was broken by advertising the gathering on Facefuck. People are entitled to have as many people as they like on THEIR property for however long they like, and for whatever legal perpose they like. A barbecue with music does not constitute illegal activity, and the only way it could be shut down is if there were drugs or violent behaviour. Plus 4 PM is in DAYLIGHT hours, so there is no breach of peace situation.

The law that was actually broken here was the gathering of information by illegal means by reading the Facebook invitation when they weren't entitled to access the information.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 05:10:42 PM by The_Chosen_One »

TheoK

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 05:04:30 PM »
Once the hilarity of the whole situation wore off, it's kinda frightening to think that this is what the police spends their time and our money doing - raiding family barbecues.

Here in Sweden they usually harass the local winos or chase kids with tuned up mopeds...

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 05:04:43 PM »
wow 15 people came to his party

at my 21st i had 9 and they were all related to me

Blasted

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 05:10:48 PM »
I can't even remember my 19th  :zombiefuck:

Here in Sweden they usually harass the local winos or chase kids with tuned up mopeds...

In Poland they scour parks for kids smoking/drinking  :thumbdn:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 05:21:57 PM »
wow 15 people came to his party

at my 21st i had 9 and they were all related to me

Had you invited them via facebook, it could have been the most special birthday of your life.  :asthing:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 07:19:26 PM »
He even tried reasoning with them but they refused to listen to him.  He had invited only 17 people total, but 15 showed up.

Fucking hell. That's already explained on the first post. No need to repeat it.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 05:08:25 AM »
 :laugh:  Sounds like were I live they can't stop real crime so they settle for this
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

P7PSP

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 05:17:29 AM »
What a bunch of douchebags.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 09:07:23 AM »
I just commented on the story on the Metro page. Check the link.

TheoK

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 09:14:38 AM »
 :plus:

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 09:15:35 PM »

no taser, no care.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:23:19 AM by rebel against the oppressive regime of the secular republic »