Educational

Author Topic: wondering if people could be diagnosed wrong as aspergers  (Read 4639 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: wondering if people could be diagnosed wrong as aspergers
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2009, 04:35:42 AM »
Looks like jamieg is the sensitive type. :-\
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2009, 04:48:50 AM »
Looks like jamieg is the sensitive type. :-\

:indeed:
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2009, 07:20:21 AM »
The thing is, I think there is a half way point. Nothing is expected of me from the government because I'm on a disability pension now. I just have to pass go and collect my $200. We are doing better than most working poor families as a lot of our income is tax free. We live in public housing which isn't as bad as it sounds (shitty neighbours have left). So we pay fuck all in rent.

We get enough money these days that we don't even have to be careful how we spend it (probably should hide some in a mattress or something).
The problem is the government feels it has fulfilled its obligations by putting you on that pension, when in reality if they did their job properly, you would most likely be in decent employment, with the improvement in lifestyle that would bring. That said, given you have 5 children, it doesn't surprise me that the system makes it better for you not to work. Doesn't send out an amazing message to them.

They will help be get back into the workforce if I wanted them to. I'm just not in that place right now personally.
I wonder whose fault that is. Certainly, the state should take a lot of blame.

Meh, I blame being undiagnosed at the time I entered the workforce plus parents who had no idea how to prepare a child/young adult for the workforce.

It's now my responsibility to do something about it though. Fucking anxiety and freaky panic attacks kick my arse though. I can't even seriously think about it without nearly throwing up and shit.
True you were undiagnosed. However that just reinforces the fact the system needs to be properly supportive, rewarding people for their talents as opposed kicking them for their (often irrelevant) difficulties. A properly implemented meritocracy would correct those problems, it is why I advocate it.

People didn't know any better. The important thing is what is happening now. Things will take time.
Serious question: Have you noticed any improvement from all the media coverage of late? Because I haven't, if anything its caused me more problems. Somehow I don't think increased awareness will help us, we are too small a group of people.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2009, 10:08:53 AM »
The thing is, I think there is a half way point. Nothing is expected of me from the government because I'm on a disability pension now. I just have to pass go and collect my $200. We are doing better than most working poor families as a lot of our income is tax free. We live in public housing which isn't as bad as it sounds (shitty neighbours have left). So we pay fuck all in rent.

We get enough money these days that we don't even have to be careful how we spend it (probably should hide some in a mattress or something).
The problem is the government feels it has fulfilled its obligations by putting you on that pension, when in reality if they did their job properly, you would most likely be in decent employment, with the improvement in lifestyle that would bring. That said, given you have 5 children, it doesn't surprise me that the system makes it better for you not to work. Doesn't send out an amazing message to them.

They will help be get back into the workforce if I wanted them to. I'm just not in that place right now personally.

Meh, I blame being undiagnosed at the time I entered the workforce plus parents who had no idea how to prepare a child/young adult for the workforce.

It's now my responsibility to do something about it though. Fucking anxiety and freaky panic attacks kick my arse though. I can't even seriously think about it without nearly throwing up and shit.
True you were undiagnosed. However that just reinforces the fact the system needs to be properly supportive, rewarding people for their talents as opposed kicking them for their (often irrelevant) difficulties. A properly implemented meritocracy would correct those problems, it is why I advocate it.

People didn't know any better. The important thing is what is happening now. Things will take time.
Serious question: Have you noticed any improvement from all the media coverage of late? Because I haven't, if anything its caused me more problems. Somehow I don't think increased awareness will help us, we are too small a group of people.

There is improvement I think, but the media isn't driving it. Community groups are mainly driving it I'd say. It started with the parents of ASD children. These children are growing up and those parents are now questioning what is happening/going to happen for when they are adults.

Bored house wives with nothing to do except cause that is close to home is a force to be reckoned with. But like I said, these things take time.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2009, 11:09:33 AM »
yes jamieg is sensitive. he is on zomg as well. i thought he was someone taking the piss when i got a couple PMs from him, but i think he's real

being an admin of an aspie site is annoying when the wp rejects come

there's always at least one that expects you to sort out their arguments with people

fuck that i'm not a babysitter

i'll do admin stuff, but i'm not looking after spazzes

i do feel a bit guilty, but i can't be arsed with this shit anymore. i just respond once and then ignore it till they threaten to sue

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2009, 11:51:45 AM »
But I think we proved a point though Shleed, we exposed the irony that he's all 'I don't wanna fight and aspies can't be capable of doing such bad things' and then he suggests people kill themselves for trolling, and calls me a fucker for messing around. :zoinks:

Also I'll just leave this here...

Or he just thinks we're fake aspies.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2009, 01:51:13 PM »
funny that the ones accused of not being AS are always the assholes

i've lost track of how many times i've received the "you don't have AS" insult just because i was being a twat  :zoinks:

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2009, 02:17:30 PM »
I think I got it on here by people when I got accused of being a game player when I first joined. I have gotten "You don't have AS" from at least two other people online. I think one of them was a troll though and the other was just saying it to piss me off.

I honestly don't care anymore if people say I don't have it because lot of aspies get the "You don't have AS" crap. Even parents of autistic kids get "Your kid doesn't have autism." Whats funny is people on Autism Speaks forum also pull the "You're not autistic" card. They did it to a guy just today because some autistic guy slandered someone and lied, I think he just took someone's words out of context like Violet Yoshi does and he also added words in the person's mouth just like Violet does. He had attacked others on the board too. God people are so stupid, they act like they think autistic people are angels, they wouldn't hurt a fly and they are innocent beings but yet we had another autistic bully on there and she was banned and they were all upset and didn't pull the "she isn't autistic" crap. I even called out their irony and so far my post has been ignored. Maybe they don't want to admit their hypocrisy. Cowards.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2009, 03:25:24 PM »

There is improvement I think, but the media isn't driving it. Community groups are mainly driving it I'd say. It started with the parents of ASD children. These children are growing up and those parents are now questioning what is happening/going to happen for when they are adults.

Bored house wives with nothing to do except cause that is close to home is a force to be reckoned with. But like I said, these things take time.
Its the media that matter at the end of the day that matter, if you want anything more than small, often insignificant changes. Otherwise what normally happens is this: Community groups kick up small fuss  - > government recognises small fuss - > small manoeuvre is made to combat said fuss - > society moves on, more problems are found, cycle begins again with us getting nowhere. If you don't believe me, look at lower down the spectrum - society has barely changed, there is a little more support education wise, but all in all, very few people have changed circumstances.

The thing is, I unlike you grew up with a diagnosis of AS. I am now 20 and would say relative to my peers, though I have had said support etc, I have done no better than those who have grown up in your set of circumstances, i.e. undiagnosed and not having said support. Even worse, many parents ( with AS traits ) turn around and are even more against making changes (or even providing support) than most NT's are. The only changes that are going to improve our lives are ones that change society directly, i.e. reduce what we need to do to fit in, reduce unnecessary expectations and open up opportunities. Then things will have improved, but our parents are never going to do that for us.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2009, 03:53:46 PM »
being an admin of an aspie site is annoying with or without the wp rejects

Fixed :zoinks:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2009, 04:01:03 PM »
shit you're right

i was wondering why i was spending more time here than my own site

i've always admited it though - i'm a shit and lazy admin  :green:

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2009, 06:25:19 PM »
Looks like Jamie left this site. I saw his blog at Autism Speaks saying to avoid these two sites, this one and zomgaspies. Smart move he made by leaving.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2009, 06:58:07 PM »
Looks like Jamie left this site. I saw his blog at Autism Speaks saying to avoid these two sites, this one and zomgaspies. Smart move he made by leaving.

Very smart move indeed... wait, what, he's on Autism Speaks? Well that explains a lot then.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline matthe

• gifted asshole
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • quit fucking with my dogs equilibrium yo
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2009, 07:52:41 PM »

Very smart move indeed... wait, what, he's on Autism Speaks? Well that explains a lot then.

he is a troll then. fuck that guy. hes prolly not even aspie. just a AS spy troll. orginazations like that are the reason i dont want a real DX.
feix ma spellan. ai nide halp. coz i caent duet.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #119 on: August 29, 2009, 08:06:54 PM »
I think he's real. He says he is aspie over there too and does blogs. Some autistic people go over there, me Age1600, one of my former online friends, and a few WP members have signed up there such as lioness and beau.