Educational

Author Topic: Brilliant but careless scientists  (Read 1068 times)

TheoK

Brilliant but careless scientists
« on: February 19, 2009, 08:30:36 PM »
The French chemist Claude Louis Berthollet was vice President of the French Senate and the first to syntezise potassium chlorate. The first thing he did with it was to try to use it instead of potassium nitrate in black powder. He let his assistants mix several kilos of it with sulphur and charcoal in a ball mill. Several of them were killed in the explosion.

TheoK

Re: Brilliant but careless scientists
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 08:38:31 PM »
The German pharmacist Friedrich Sertürner isolated morphine from opium in 1804. He tested it on himself and two friends. They first took 15 mg and didn't feel anything but a light euforia. After an hour they took 30 mg. They felt very hight after a while and after half an hour took 45 mg. They fainted. One of them woke up and forced the others to vomit by forcing them to drink vinegar. Otherwise they might have died.  8)

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 10:41:47 PM »
Scientists these days are a bunch of pussies it seems.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 10:43:33 PM »
Marie Curie discovered Polonium and Radium, but she wound up dying of leukemia or aplastic anemia as a result of all the radioactive materials she handled.

TheoK

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 03:50:00 AM »
Alfred Nobel had a laboratory in Vinterviken outside Stockholm, where he experimented with his new invention dynamite. The security wasn't very high. There was a worker often spilling nitroglycerine and then stepping into it with shoes that partly had iron soles. In 1868 the whole place blew up and 14 people were killed. In 1872 it blew up again and 12 people were killed. The life expectancy of the people who worked there was 30 years.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 07:22:41 AM »
Mentos and coke are VERY dangerous.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

TheoK

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 07:27:47 AM »
They're cowards. The oldies would turn in their graves if they saw those cunts in action.  :tantrum: :arrr:

TheoK

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 07:31:51 AM »
Fritz Haber, the German chemistry professor who won the Nobel Prize, was the man behind the poison gas in WWI. His lab blew up, probably because they worked under high stress, and one man was killed but they just continued working. When testing the gas, they simply put bottles with the gas in empty shells to begin with. No protection whatsoever.

P7PSP

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 08:13:52 AM »
Very good thread, carry on.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 07:55:12 PM »
Mentos and coke are VERY dangerous.

they make you fat and toothless, yeah.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 07:56:52 PM »
brilliant but careless someone somewhere somewhen must have died brilliantly and carelessly making meth.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 08:20:58 PM »
While re-synthesizing LSD-25 for further study, Hofmann became dizzy and was forced to stop work. In his journal, Hofmann wrote that after becoming dizzy he proceeded home and was affected by a "remarkable restlessness, combined with a slight dizziness". Hofmann stated that as he lay in his bed he sank into a pleasant "intoxicated like condition" which was characterized by an extremely stimulated imagination. He stated that he was in a dreamlike state, and with his eyes closed he could see uninterrupted streams of "fantastic pictures, extraordinary shapes with intense, kaleidoscopic play of colors." The condition lasted about two hours after which it faded away.[3] Hofmann had attributed the psychoactive effects he experienced to accidentally absorbing a tiny amount of LSD-25 into his skin. Three days later he would take a much larger dose in order to test its effects further, and this day would later be referred to as the "Bicycle Day"

Just scientific curiosity right ::)
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 10:53:41 AM »

People nowadays would probably get arrested for domestic terrorism if they tried anything interesting.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 11:02:12 AM »

People nowadays would probably get arrested for domestic terrorism if they tried anything interesting.

I worry about that with some of my hobbies.  Looks bad but harmless type things
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 07:20:52 PM »

You know that's true.

There was this guy who was arrested for mixing chemicals in his garage when they exploded, but he wasn't really a terrorist at all, just a middle-aged guy who was interested in chemistry.