Author Topic: Are toys getting lame?  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Are toys getting lame?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 07:11:31 AM »
I'm going to buy up on BRATZ before they go out of production.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 04:12:21 AM »
I miss my old toys, back then they have wonderful Lego sets and other crap like that - now it's full of crap like "Bionicle".

Thank fuck for bratz being banned, worst fucking pile of shite my eyes have witnessed.

TheoK

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 04:14:33 AM »
Lego is BRAVE! :arrr:

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 04:15:53 AM »
Don't tempt me... I still have some in the attic.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 04:19:09 AM »
Legos, Hot Wheels (with the 1970s era cars and the cool orange track), Erector Sets, Tonka trucks.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 04:21:18 AM »
K'nex was alright too, although mechano is one of the best construction toys out there.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 06:16:22 PM »
My parents still have the original Knex. They belonged to my brothers and I when we were little. We got them for Christmas in December 1994. I think it came from one of our relatives. It was a whole set of them and it came with the Orange container to store the pieces in. It came with wheels too.

But my brother struggled with building and my parents kept telling him to just look at the picture in the instructions but he still couldn't do it so they had to help him. In kindergarten, they found out what the problem was, he was color blind. He could not look at the picture and match the pieces. But wouldn't the color of the pieces look the same color as the real pieces?  ???

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 01:47:56 AM »
What is so super about a fat bastard plumber? :laugh:

I always thought so too. Sonic can kick Mario's ass any day.
Park.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 11:21:53 AM »
But wouldn't the color of the pieces look the same color as the real pieces?  ???

Yeah but if you can see less colors altogether then it's easier for some of them to be similar and confusing because there's not as much contrast. Instruction books are often printed carelessly, where the red on the page, for example, doesn't match the red of the actual piece in saturation or lightness. That is more confusing to somebody who doesn't have the "red-ness" to help them. Imagine doing a black and white photocopy of the instruction book and of all the pieces and trying to match them that way.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 11:41:23 AM »
But wouldn't the color of the pieces look the same color as the real pieces?  ???

Yeah but if you can see less colors altogether then it's easier for some of them to be similar and confusing because there's not as much contrast. Instruction books are often printed carelessly, where the red on the page, for example, doesn't match the red of the actual piece in saturation or lightness. That is more confusing to somebody who doesn't have the "red-ness" to help them. Imagine doing a black and white photocopy of the instruction book and of all the pieces and trying to match them that way.

There could also be quite a difference in the way his brain interprets the ink on a page as opposed to something in three dimensions.
I think there is more to color blindness than we know.
My father was colorblind in the blue/green region. If he saw a blue something, for instance, he could not tell if it was blue or green and he was wrong half the time. Pretty much the same ratio as not seeing it at all. However, if he saw a blue and a green together, there was enough contrast to tell them apart consistently, even confusing aqua-blue-green colors on a page.

One of the people I used to work with could not see any difference in over half of a Pantone chart, but he was excellent at correcting for skin tones.

???
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 12:12:45 PM »
Yeah, my answer was a bit of a simplification. I was trying to think of accessible everyday examples.

I don't know knex, but I think toys like that should be made so that there are clues other than color to distinguish the pieces, like length, thickness or texture.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 12:16:11 PM »
Yeah, my answer was a bit of a simplification. I was trying to think of accessible everyday examples.

I don't know knex, but I think toys like that should be made so that there are clues other than color to distinguish the pieces, like length, thickness or texture.

As was most likely necessary, but I was not making a criticism.

I was merely adding to the confusion.

:angel:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 01:13:36 PM »
 :asthing:

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 05:35:05 AM »
The littler kids still play with toys for the 5 year old this year we got her Bratz dolls, littlest pet shop, tini puppini, baby dolls, baby carriage, and some electronic stuff. I do miss Barbie though, seems she's been replaced with these slutty Bratz dolls though! I can remember when parents were outraged about the tellitubbie with the purse (Tinky Winky) because he might be gay. Where are these parents now when the new barbie is bearing her midriff and wearing micro minis? I have to say their bodies and outfits make me jealous.
Those Bratz and Barbie dolls are so deformed - I don't know why they can't have some dolls that actually have figures like real people.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 05:54:35 AM »
The littler kids still play with toys for the 5 year old this year we got her Bratz dolls, littlest pet shop, tini puppini, baby dolls, baby carriage, and some electronic stuff. I do miss Barbie though, seems she's been replaced with these slutty Bratz dolls though! I can remember when parents were outraged about the tellitubbie with the purse (Tinky Winky) because he might be gay. Where are these parents now when the new barbie is bearing her midriff and wearing micro minis? I have to say their bodies and outfits make me jealous.
Those Bratz and Barbie dolls are so deformed - I don't know why they can't have some dolls that actually have figures like real people.

The toy stores could sell the anatomically correct dolls that are used with sexually abused kids.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?