Educational

Author Topic: Obama-Biden in My Town Saturday  (Read 865 times)

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
Obama-Biden in My Town Saturday
« on: September 26, 2008, 08:47:38 PM »
Obama and Biden are speaking at the University of Mary Washington tomorrow. My wife thought it would be cool to go so the kids could say, assuming it is not a nightmare scenario in November, they saw the President when, but I researched it and they open the area to the public three hours before the speech, first come first served, and you cannot bring any kind of bag. With three kids, including a two-year old, there is no way we could do it. Add in the potential for rain and I cannot get all excited about it. The only political rally I went to was for Jerry Brown in 1992. He was my first choice for Democratic nominee and I got to meet him on the University of Louisville campus. But he didn't get the nomination and Clinton went on to get a hummer in the Oval Office.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Obama-Biden in My Town Saturday
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 11:36:11 PM »
Your wife couldn't even bring a purse?

If you could, you could probably fit enough stuff for your two year old in there.

Three hours is a really long time to keep three kids entertained in a crowd of people, though.  Are any of them autistic?

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 07:06:46 AM »
My 5-year old son shows some signs of Asperger's. Very OCD. Very fixated on his obsessions: Star Wars and Spider-Man. Some times complains about sensory stuff, but nowhere near what I do. He may just be imitating Daddy at times. He gets along real well in school, so who knows? His 2-year old sister is extremely OCD too. Going around closing doors and lining things up if you mess with 'em. She was slow to talk, but when she started, she was making complex sentences and using all kinds of big words and in the right context too. We think why she was quiet, she was absorbing everything.

I've actually had the debate in the Parent's Forum on Wrong Planet about whether or not it is beneficial to diagnose a child if they function well. I cam to the conclusion that a diagnoses is only helpful if the child really needs special help and/or accommodations. Otherwise, it could become a stigma.
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 08:27:03 AM »
My 5-year old son shows some signs of Asperger's. Very OCD. Very fixated on his obsessions: Star Wars and Spider-Man. Some times complains about sensory stuff, but nowhere near what I do. He may just be imitating Daddy at times. He gets along real well in school, so who knows? His 2-year old sister is extremely OCD too. Going around closing doors and lining things up if you mess with 'em. She was slow to talk, but when she started, she was making complex sentences and using all kinds of big words and in the right context too. We think why she was quiet, she was absorbing everything.

I've actually had the debate in the Parent's Forum on Wrong Planet about whether or not it is beneficial to diagnose a child if they function well. I cam to the conclusion that a diagnoses is only helpful if the child really needs special help and/or accommodations. Otherwise, it could become a stigma.

I do totally see your point, and I think that if a child is functioning well that he or she should be kept in the least restrictive environment possible.

However, I think sometimes we overlook help that our children might need to do even better because we see so much of ourselves in them and we know how well we turned out.  I wish that I had some of the help that my daughter has had while I was growing up.

I did not realize that my daughter needed help at all until she was three. Until then I was not concerned that I was pretty much the only person who could understand her, but when we took her to a speech therapist she scored near the zeroth percentile so we started speech therapy.  Then when when we enrolled her in the special needs preschool that her speech therapist recommended so she could get even more speech therapy for her speech issues and we had her evaluated by Child Find, they found that she had sensory and fine motor issues that occupational therapy could address as well as her severe speech issues.  In the beginning my husband and I were kind of offended that they were finding so much that was wrong with our precious child and thought that they were exaggerating her needs so they could get more money from the school district, but we figured that more time with the fabulous teachers and therapists could only help her.  It was not until much later that we realized they were not exaggerating at all.

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 08:31:30 AM »
, assuming it is not a nightmare scenario in November, they saw the President

The nightmare won't start until after he is in office for awhile, just like the good old days when Jimmy carter was president and we had 20% interest rates and over 10% unemployment or maybe like the good old days of LBJ where people where rioting in the streets and cities burning down or the good old 1930's where FDR ran a decade long depression.

Offline ApotheosisIV

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • interweb
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 09:27:56 AM »
Kill at least one of them to achieve instant fame and great justice.
batcat

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »

The nightmare won't start until after he is in office for awhile, just like the good old days when Jimmy carter was president and we had 20% interest rates and over 10% unemployment or maybe like the good old days of LBJ where people where rioting in the streets and cities burning down or the good old 1930's where FDR ran a decade long depression.

If he loses I think there will be rioting in the street seeing there almost was the last time around.  I believe he will win but will be assassinated before his term is up likewise McCain will die in the next four years also so either way we are stuck with the VPs
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline enronh

• Intensity's Bicycle Repairman
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 11:22:28 AM »

If he loses I think there will be rioting in the street seeing there almost was the last time around.  I believe he will win but will be assassinated before his term is up likewise McCain will die in the next four years also so either way we are stuck with the VPs

Could one of you not put a cap in Dubya's ass before he goes.

Come on!

Offline enronh

• Intensity's Bicycle Repairman
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 11:26:53 AM »
Or at least kidnap him and get 10 black men to fuck his bum hole.

Pleeeeeeease.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 11:43:33 AM »
i keep reading this thread as "obama-bin laden" - now that would be worth a visit.  :laugh:

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 12:56:27 PM »

I'm with you on the rioting and bet the morons in charge won't be the least bit prepared for it.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 12:53:40 AM »

I'm with you on the rioting and bet the morons in charge won't be the least bit prepared for it.

Don't you believe it. They're COUNTING on it.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 09:23:18 AM »

Come on!

I don't believe in violence. Not physical violence anyway. Plus I believe the 2nd Ammendment has been misinterpreted and would prefer guns be abolished. In an ideal world, we wouldn't have them, but sadly we are stuck in this stank hole.

"...right to bear arms in order to create a well formed militia..."

...or something like that. In other words, there was no National Army at the time, so the people were expected to defend the Nation. Now that we have an Army...and a Navy (with Marines)...and an Air Force...and a Coast Guard, I don't see how every  :redneck: needs to have a gun.

I'll get off my  :soapbox:!
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 12:03:43 PM »

Come on!

I don't believe in violence. Not physical violence anyway. Plus I believe the 2nd Ammendment has been misinterpreted and would prefer guns be abolished. In an ideal world, we wouldn't have them, but sadly we are stuck in this stank hole.

...or something like that. In other words, there was no National Army at the time, so the people were expected to defend the Nation. Now that we have an Army...and a Navy (with Marines)...and an Air Force...and a Coast Guard, I don't see how every  :redneck: needs to have a gun.

so what are rual people supposed to do everytime they hear a noise outside, call the cops ? It's not like somebody can run to the neighbors or expect any help to come because there is nobody around but the bad guy and his intended victim. There would be a lot more victims if bad guys knew the rural population was defenseless

good job at looking at the situation from somebody elses shoes and putting some thought into the situation :headslap:

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 02:08:34 PM »

Come on!

so what are rual people supposed to do everytime they hear a noise outside, call the cops ? It's not like somebody can run to the neighbors or expect any help to come because there is nobody around but the bad guy and his intended victim. There would be a lot more victims if bad guys knew the rural population was defenseless

good job at looking at the situation from somebody elses shoes and putting some thought into the situation :headslap:

:finger:

I took that into account, but I look at this from the perspective we should evolve beyond the use of guns and other weapons throughout all of society. Is that realistic? Probably not. But it is an ideal I'd like to see us aspire to.
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me