Author Topic: Ask Benoit  (Read 4930 times)

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Ask Benoit
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2006, 12:30:42 AM »
Guys, just a suggestion, this is the ask benoit anything thread, not the demonstrate what an unreasonable idiot benoit is.  I, on the other hand, phrased my demonstration in a question.  I mean, you can do whatever you want, and benoit might not mind being shown to be an idiot, but if he does, I think it would be kind to respect his wishes.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2006, 02:36:44 AM »
Guys, just a suggestion, this is the ask benoit anything thread, not the demonstrate what an unreasonable idiot benoit is.  I, on the other hand, phrased my demonstration in a question.  I mean, you can do whatever you want, and benoit might not mind being shown to be an idiot, but if he does, I think it would be kind to respect his wishes.

Where's the question in this one?

Benoit, do you like jeopardy? And if you do, why?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Eamonn

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2006, 03:37:46 AM »

It's still Intensity so if someone makes claims that i disagree with i can call them out on it if i want. Capiche?

peegai

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2006, 09:08:09 AM »

It's still Intensity so if someone makes claims that i disagree with i can call them out on it if i want. Capiche?

It's capisce.

Where do you see yourself in the future? (A question for Benoit.)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 09:13:56 AM by peegai »

Eamonn

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2006, 09:18:35 AM »

It's capisce.

Where do you see yourself in the future?

Actually it's 'capiche', which is slang, taken from the Italian word 'capisci' which means "do you understand?", capiche? Also who's your question directed at? Am i to presume it's directed at me because you ask the question right after correcting me without making clear it's intended for someone else. Do you struggle with basic grammar, Mr pernickety?

peegai

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2006, 09:27:29 AM »

It's capisce.

Actually it's 'capiche', which is slang, taken from the Italian word 'capisci' which means "do you understand?", capiche? Also who's your question directed at? Am i to presume it's directed at me because you ask the question right after correcting me without making clear it's intended for someone else. Do you struggle with basic grammar, Mr pernickety?

I knew you would probably take that question as if it were directed towards you, which is why I have made some alterations to make it less ambiguous.

Offline Benoit

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2006, 05:51:11 PM »
Chronic drinking is not drinking in moderation so all you have proved is that you cant read simple sentences without getting them mixed up in your brain and jumping to wildly exaggerated conclusions.
Nowhere in the Wikipedia parts I quoted did it mention chronic drinking. Maybe you need to read.

I guess you're so adamant in proving me wrong so that you can continue drinking without worries. Those are always the kind that refuse to believe anything bad I say about alcohol. It's sad that people prefer to delusion themselves.
I looked up the word on dictionary.com, but I'm not sure what "jeopardy" is. But from what I can gather, no, I don't like it.
Probably still living at home, busy on my latest software project, or something.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2006, 06:09:57 PM »
Chronic drinking is not drinking in moderation so all you have proved is that you cant read simple sentences without getting them mixed up in your brain and jumping to wildly exaggerated conclusions.
Nowhere in the Wikipedia parts I quoted did it mention chronic drinking. Maybe you need to read.

I guess you're so adamant in proving me wrong so that you can continue drinking without worries. Those are always the kind that refuse to believe anything bad I say about alcohol. It's sad that people prefer to delusion themselves.

Benoit, did you overlook this in your Wikipedia quote?  I will highlight it in red for you.

Since you went the Wikipedia way, look at what I found on Wikipedia. ON THE SAME PAGE:
Ethanol is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream and reaches the brain.
The CNS (Central Nervous System) depressant effect likely is due to ethanol's acting on the BK channels.[1] A BK channel is a calcium dependent potassium channel. Ethanol potentiates the activity of BK channels, which reduces the excitability of the neuron. [2] It has been known to act on GABA receptors, but this is probably just a secondary effect from activation of the BK channels. Its effect on GABA receptors is probably similar to the action of benzodiazepines such as diazepam. GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter, meaning it acts to slow down or inhibit nerve impulses. Ethanol increases the effectiveness of GABA acting through GABAA receptors. When used over a long time, ethanol changes the number and type of GABA receptors, and this is thought to be the cause of the violent withdrawal effects of alcoholics.

Ethanol also interferes with synaptic firing and causes the death of brain cells. This cell death is caused by an increased concentration of intracellular calcium which has several effects. It weakens the electrochemical gradient across the cell membranes. It is this gradient which is the motive force of membrane pumps and channels (cells, especially neurons, quickly die without proper membrane pump and channel function). Calcium also activates proteases that cause degradation of cell proteins.

There is also direct damage to cell membranes from free-radicals that are produced from the alcohol metabolism.
And:
The liver contains a special enzyme (alcohol dehydrogenase) that breaks down alcohols into acetaldehyde, which is turned into acetic acid by the enzyme acetaldehyde dehydrogenase, and then another enzyme converts the acetate into fats or carbon dioxide and water. The fats are mostly deposited locally which leads to the characteristic "beer belly". Chronic drinkers, however, so tax this metabolic pathway that things go awry: fatty acids build up as plaques in the capillaries around liver cells and those cells begin to die, which leads to the liver disease cirrhosis. The liver is part of the body's filtration system and if it is damaged then certain toxins build up thus leading to symptoms of jaundice.
Want more evidence?

Eamonn

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2006, 06:12:31 PM »

Chronic drinkers, however, so tax this metabolic pathway that things go awry: fatty acids build up as plaques in the capillaries around liver cells and those cells begin to die, which leads to the liver disease cirrhosis.

Maybe you have too much stress building up in your brain, hence the forgetfullness. Having the odd drink might help with that. In moderation, of course.  ;)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2006, 01:06:53 AM »
I looked up the word on dictionary.com, but I'm not sure what "jeopardy" is. But from what I can gather, no, I don't like it.

It's a TV show. You haven't missed anything.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

duncvis

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2006, 03:37:14 AM »
I don't know about you lot, but this discussion is making me thirsty.  8)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2006, 05:19:43 AM »
Yeah. I'll get a beer or two tonight, watch the World Cup, and kill a few brain cells.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Benoit

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2006, 10:14:59 AM »
I may be wrong about the the cyrrhosis, but the rest of my points still stand. We didn't evolve to assimilate alcohol, and it still causes brain damage.

Honestly now, what kind of warped logic is this? A toxic liquid is good in moderation but not in larger quantities? Get real.

I explained in detail why it's bad, and if you choose to delusion yourself, that's fine, but don't come yelling to me about how it's wrong when you can't even begin to explain in detail why it's wrong, and/or can only counter with things that don't counter my specific points.

Now, let's get on with the questions, please.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2006, 10:40:35 AM »
Have you ever heard of dihydrogen monoxide, Benoit? 

http://www.dhmo.org/dihydrogen-monoxide/

It is a liquid safe to ingest in moderate amounts but it will kill you if too much is ingested.

Have you ever heard of sodium chloride? 

It can be ingested as an aqueous solution that is safe and beneficial in moderate amounts but toxic in larger quantities.

duncvis

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2006, 03:37:15 AM »
Do you ever get tired of being told 'lighten up, you humourless twat'?  :angel: