Author Topic: Ask Benoit  (Read 4952 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Ask Benoit
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2006, 03:15:39 PM »
Or did he just say "hey, Benoit, old chap, here's a place for you to nitpick on"?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

duncvis

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2006, 03:22:00 PM »
are you so tightly wound in real life?
Yes. I prefer to be in control of myself and, you know, be responsible, unlike many idiots.

Striking a balance is good for you mate... do you really want to burst a blood vessel before you're 25?

Do you just think 'Fuck it', stick some tunes on, and roll a fat one?
No. I'm not a big fan of music, and I didn't make the stupid decision to smoke.

* duncvis is astonished and slightly shocked that someone isn't that arsed about music. Someone hold me, I'm going wobbly...

the nit-picking
The only one who was nit-picking here was the delusional pro-alcohol crowd.

meh. define 'delusional'... and if by crowd you mean everyone else here and most other adults, thatsh us. *hic*

a list of demands
I post a suggestion in the forum that is made exactly for that, clarify it, and suddenly it's a list of demands? Please stop being an asshole.

you first sweetheart.  :-*

so who is the real benoit?
The one you're not going to see if people keep acting like bastards.

Hello, this is Intensity... didnt you read the sign on the way in? This is whe bastards playground, and the root of all evil according to my great and wise friend ascan.  ;)

what do you do for fun?
I play video games.

woo, so you do have a hedonistic bone in your body. there's hope for you yet lad. I like car crash games, like Carmageddon from days of yore, and Burnout3: Takedown is my current favourite. BOOOMM!!  8)

whats your favourite joke?
I don't have one.

No? Any comedy shows/films/comic strips that make you snigger in an uncontrollable manner instead?  ;D

One other question: do you think depicting those who make different and less cautious lifestyle choices to your own as reckless idiots and morons is reasonable, or endears you to others? Also, do you think they have more fun than you while slowly killing themselves - a worthwhile trade-off, perhaps?  :angel:

Offline Benoit

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2006, 07:34:04 PM »
Do you not think its possible then for people to make informed decisions about their own life and still be responsible about it?
That depends.
Did peegai actually explain to you what Intensity was like before he suggested you join?
Yes.
Or did he just say "hey, Benoit, old chap, here's a place for you to nitpick on"?
No.
Striking a balance is good for you mate... do you really want to burst a blood vessel before you're 25?
Delusional crap again. There's no balance.
define 'delusional'
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/delusional
you first sweetheart.
I wasn't being an asshole. Unless defending your stance suddenly is being an asshole.
Hello, this is Intensity... didnt you read the sign on the way in? This is whe bastards playground, and the root of all evil according to my great and wise friend ascan.
You might want to change your sign, because it says something else.
Any comedy shows/films/comic strips that make you snigger in an uncontrollable manner instead?
I wouldn't say uncontrollable... But yes. Here's three:
Third Rock From The Sun
Boy Meets World
Married... With Children
do you think depicting those who make different and less cautious lifestyle choices to your own as reckless idiots and morons is reasonable, or endears you to others?
I only depict people who are pro-alcohol like that. So yes, it's reasonable.
No, I don't think it endears me to others, but that's not my goal either.
Also, do you think they have more fun than you while slowly killing themselves - a worthwhile trade-off, perhaps?
No and no.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2006, 08:13:08 PM »
You are though holding up well here are You?
Guardian of the Empire

duncvis

« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2006, 04:02:17 AM »
Do you not think its possible then for people to make informed decisions about their own life and still be responsible about it?
That depends.

What does it depend on? Whether you think its a good idea, with your vast experience of life?

Delusional crap again. There's no balance.

au contraire. don't blame me if you're a bundle of fucking nerves in ten years. Try adding a little eastern philosophy to your technical manuals and you'll see what I mean.  ;)

define 'delusional'
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/delusional

A false belief or opinion

Nope. A difference of opinion, not false. At least not false according to most people, but we've been through that one. I respect your right not to drink alcohol, but not to look down your fucking nose at me while I do it. :P

you first sweetheart.
I wasn't being an asshole. Unless defending your stance suddenly is being an asshole.

ever hear the expression 'its not what you say, its the way that you say it?' it applies here.

Hello, this is Intensity... didnt you read the sign on the way in? This is the bastards playground, and the root of all evil according to my great and wise friend ascan.
You might want to change your sign, because it says something else.

Its implied in 'we stand for ...combative debate', and is self-evident from actually reading the forums . As for the ascan bit, that was sort of a joke; it might be fun to find one of his more lurid quotes though, and put it on the warning page as a kind of anti-recommendation.  >:D

do you think depicting those who make different and less cautious lifestyle choices to your own as reckless idiots and morons is reasonable, or endears you to others?
I only depict people who are pro-alcohol like that. So yes, it's reasonable.
No, I don't think it endears me to others, but that's not my goal either.

question: if you're not bothered about being liked by others, why moan about people acting like bastards?

Slightly off topic but related - In case it hasn't become apparent, although Intensity is essentially a debate forum, offensive and juvenile banter and cheerfully insulting each other is what greases the wheels. Some of the smartarse responses your po-faced comments have provoked need to be viewed in that light, and in part as a challenge, so don't take it personally - Peegai's my favourite ginger lamer, so you can't be that bad.  ;)

Also, do you think they have more fun than you while slowly killing themselves - a worthwhile trade-off, perhaps?
No and no.

Meh, everyone's different. Personally I'm the sort of person who does stuff 'because its there' - my curiosity and desire to experience life is stronger than my need for predictability and security. I don't think that makes me an idiot. Put it this way - I'd rather die in a car crash than die of boredom.

Okay, more questions, since I've been addressing your replies instead of 'asking Benoit'  :D

if you could wish for anything, what would it be?

do you have any vices?

and how funny is this?

peegai

« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2006, 10:46:43 AM »
Slightly off topic but related - In case it hasn't become apparent, although Intensity is essentially a debate forum, offensive and juvenile banter and cheerfully insulting each other is what greases the wheels. Some of the smartarse responses your po-faced comments have provoked need to be viewed in that light, and in part as a challenge, so don't take it personally - Peegai's my favourite ginger lamer, so you can't be that bad.  Wink

I wuv you.

Offline Benoit

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2006, 05:18:57 PM »
What does it depend on? Whether you think its a good idea, with your vast experience of life?
It's hard to answer, really. People will claim they know what they're doing, or that something is their choice, but that doesn't mean that they should be doing it, or that it's a good thing to do.
au contraire. don't blame me if you're a bundle of fucking nerves in ten years. Try adding a little eastern philosophy to your technical manuals and you'll see what I mean.
See, this is what I mean. You act as if without "a smoke" and alcohol, you can't handle life. To me, it would be a sign of weakness, that you can't handle it on your own, and need to rely on things with harmful side-effects to get through it. It's a broken argument.
I respect your right not to drink alcohol, but not to look down your fucking nose at me while I do it.
You have got to be kidding me. I mentioned why alcohol is bad, and what followed is a barrage of denial from the pro-alcohol crowd, and suggestions (most from you) to take it easy and not be anal about it. In other words, to join the crowd. You were doing everything -but- respecting my choice.

It's like this in life for many others as well. People who choose to drink generally don't get critique, but if someone mentions that (s)he has chosen not to drink, hoo boy! Everyone starts to look at you as if you're an anal imbecile who doesn't enjoy life.

It's quite striking when you learn that it should be the opposite, really.
ever hear the expression 'its not what you say, its the way that you say it?' it applies here.
I'll give you that one.
question: if you're not bothered about being liked by others, why moan about people acting like bastards?
Because it's that kind of behavior that is sending this world to hell. I'm indirectly affected by it, and have to live among them.
offensive and juvenile banter and cheerfully insulting each other is what greases the wheels
I can't be found for such things. I have nothing against acting crazy, but insulting others just for laughs seems very rude to me and a waste of time.
Put it this way - I'd rather die in a car crash than die of boredom.
That's assuming that life without acting reckless isn't interesting.
if you could wish for anything, what would it be?
Nothing, because I'd know that it wouldn't be real.
do you have any vices?
What are those?
and how funny is this?
I don't have Flash, and I'm not going to install it for you.

duncvis

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2006, 05:44:32 PM »
It's hard to answer, really. People will claim they know what they're doing, or that something is their choice, but that doesn't mean that they should be doing it, or that it's a good thing to do.

this is incredibly arrogant.

au contraire. don't blame me if you're a bundle of fucking nerves in ten years. Try adding a little eastern philosophy to your technical manuals and you'll see what I mean.
See, this is what I mean. You act as if without "a smoke" and alcohol, you can't handle life. To me, it would be a sign of weakness, that you can't handle it on your own, and need to rely on things with harmful side-effects to get through it. It's a broken argument.

what does learning to take things a little less seriously and making space to relax have to do with needing a smoke/drink? thats why I suggested eastern philosophy. I think you've misunderstood my point.

I respect your right not to drink alcohol, but not to look down your fucking nose at me while I do it.
You have got to be kidding me. I mentioned why alcohol is bad, and what followed is a barrage of denial from the pro-alcohol crowd, and suggestions (most from you) to take it easy and not be anal about it. In other words, to join the crowd. You were doing everything -but- respecting my choice.

It's like this in life for many others as well. People who choose to drink generally don't get critique, but if someone mentions that (s)he has chosen not to drink, hoo boy! Everyone starts to look at you as if you're an anal imbecile who doesn't enjoy life.

I apologise for my irreverence. I found your tirade funny, however heartfelt it was.

It's quite striking when you learn that it should be the opposite, really.

Lets agree to disagree on that, since I have no wish to force booze down your throat, and you won't convince any of us who do enjoy the odd pint that we're insane to be doing it.

Because it's that kind of behavior that is sending this world to hell. I'm indirectly affected by it, and have to live among them.

good point, I live surrounded by antisocial wankers. Its all in fun here though, on the nice clean interweb.

offensive and juvenile banter and cheerfully insulting each other is what greases the wheels
I can't be found for such things. I have nothing against acting crazy, but insulting others just for laughs seems very rude to me and a waste of time.

what can I say? we're immature.

Put it this way - I'd rather die in a car crash than die of boredom.
That's assuming that life without acting reckless isn't interesting.

Not quite, but I definitely get a kick from doing something risky. What gets your adrenalin flowing?

do you have any vices?
What are those?

bad habits, stuff you know you probably shouldn't do but enjoy doing anyway.

and how funny is this?
I don't have Flash, and I'm not going to install it for you.

sorry, thought most surfers had flash. no need to put yourself out on my account though, I just thought it might make you chuckle.

Do you like sci-fi? Any favourite authors?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 05:46:41 PM by duncvis »

Offline Benoit

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2006, 01:54:17 PM »
what does learning to take things a little less seriously and making space to relax have to do with needing a smoke/drink? thats why I suggested eastern philosophy. I think you've misunderstood my point.
I guess, but if you hadn't made those claims before in the context of drinking and even giving the example of having a smoke, I wouldn't have.
what can I say? we're immature.
Then why not grow up? And please don't answer that with the cliché "Because it isn't fun.".
Not quite, but I definitely get a kick from doing something risky. What gets your adrenalin flowing?
Not much aside from exciting moments in video games.
bad habits, stuff you know you probably shouldn't do but enjoy doing anyway.
I don't think I have any of those...
Do you like sci-fi? Any favourite authors?
I like sci-fi in video games, but when it comes to books, I have to say that I don't like reading books in general.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2006, 02:16:31 PM »
have you ever sucked a dick?
Misunderstood.

Offline Draggon

• L337 H@X0R 0V T3H @$P13 L337
  • Postwhore
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2006, 05:48:13 PM »
What do you do when you need to stimulate your creativity?

Where the hell did you come from?
"run with a pack, not with a herd"

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2006, 07:59:59 PM »
Where is Benoit lately?
Guardian of the Empire

thepeaguy

« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2006, 02:16:09 PM »
Where is Benoit lately?

Chatting to me on AIM right now.

Eamonn

« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2006, 02:27:40 PM »
Where is Benoit lately?

He posted that he wanted to know 'lately'. Not in 29 days time. You buffoon.

thepeaguy

« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2006, 02:29:48 PM »
Where is Benoit lately?

He posted that he wanted to know 'lately'. Not in 29 days time. You buffoon.

Meh, fuck off. No-one answered for him.

And I was away, you bitch.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 02:33:05 PM by thepeaguy »