Author Topic: Scottish Idependence  (Read 2104 times)

richard

Re: Scottish Idependence
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2008, 06:50:26 PM »
theres alot of poeple who dont post here anymore. what ever happend to that one girl avian?
Aevalone?  I don't know why she stopped posting.  I just checked her old posts and she said that she was "going through a very meh phase and don't post much anymore."
yes her. thanks, she seemed cool i think she was one of the first people to talk to me when i joined :)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2008, 09:41:13 PM »
Who was he?

dragon2fire. Actually I think it must have been WP, because I did a username search and can't find him. It was a long time ago.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2008, 11:11:09 PM »
Who thinks scotland should be independent  :zoinks:

I do.

I'm Scotch-Irish, the thought of being able to move back is attractive.

Actually, you wouldn't be granted the right of return if your family had been here in the US over three generations. --That's the way it works with a lot of the EU countries, and I could see Scotland conforming to that.

OTOH< Peter, Ireland might be doing quite well currently considering the fact that they are essentially the EU's version of Silicon Vallley, as the Republic invested heavily in recruiting high tech business, and it finally paid off in the 90's. However, I remember the dark days of the 70's and 80's when a lot of Irish people were coming over here to the US, ( From both the Republic and N. Ireland) because they were really bad off in finding anything to do back home. -- Of course a lot of the ones from N. Ireland had the double reason of the troubles as well.

Still, Scottish Independance is a nice thing in theory, however I think that it even if it were to happen, it might not be a good thing for Scottish people as a whole, or it might simply be rather redundant because of the fact that it would still be a member state of the EU.

Somewhat similar to what would happen if the Western part of North Carolina decided to secede from the rest of North Carolina and become it's own state.  You'd have a new capitol, your own local Tax scheme, a new constitution, (That would conform to EU guidelines, much the same way that US state constitutions conform to our national Constitution) and perhaps in the case of Scotland, you'd adopt the Euro as your new currency, but other than that, what would really change?
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

Offline AspiePride

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2008, 04:59:01 AM »
Alot in my appion. Having a smaller population means greater distribution of wealth equals greater equality better and wiser investment in social policy. That in the UK are just not possible or financially viable.

I don't worry about the economy as much as the irish where nothing but farmers till about 10-15 years ago when they started to slash corporation tax. Scotland has vast resources and has one of the largest financial sectors in the world for a start.

So we have alot to start building an idependent country on  :thumbup:
Normality Is A Myth

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2008, 07:04:34 AM »
Alot in my appion. Having a smaller population means greater distribution of wealth equals greater equality better and wiser investment in social policy. That in the UK are just not possible or financially viable.

I don't worry about the economy as much as the irish where nothing but farmers till about 10-15 years ago when they started to slash corporation tax. Scotland has vast resources and has one of the largest financial sectors in the world for a start.

So we have alot to start building an idependent country on  :thumbup:

Unfortunately, you also have to field and equip at least a home defence force, possibly a full Army, Navy, and Air Force, as well as intelligence services which would be a big financial burden. Ireland never really had any enemies after it freed itself from British occupation in the early 20th century, therefore they never really needed to develop much in the way of Armed Forces. Scotland OTOH, because of it's greater Autonomy in the UK may have a harder time of washing it's hands of the enemies of the UK, so may have the need of a larger armed forces.

Still though, I think that Scotland, Divested of it's membership in the UK might still be redundant, as Scotland would most likely be a member state in the EU, as would England and Wales. --Don't get me wrong, an independant Scotland sounds like a good idea, however would it still be much differant than having greater autonomy in the framework of the UK?

As an American, I see the EU as being essentially like the United States of Europe, or perhaps more rightly as a confederation of States, rather than a federalist republic. So Scotland divesting itself of the UK seems about as redundant to me as say western North Carolina separating itself from Eastern North Carolina.

Or another Parellel being the split of Czechoslovakia into the Czech and Slovak Republics. The Czech Republic seems to be doing rather well, whilst the Slovak Republic less so. Pertaining to Scotland separating from the UK, I would  be concerned that Scotland would not do as well on it's own, as compared to it is as a part of the UK. --That would be my foremost concern.
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

Offline AspiePride

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2008, 04:50:56 AM »
The RAF still patrol the skies around dublin in ireland. You think iceland or norway has a huge navy or army.

I don't think defence is a big issue  :police:
Normality Is A Myth

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2008, 05:36:50 AM »
Can't we just threaten to set the Neds on anyone who pisses us off?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2008, 05:40:24 AM »
You have never lived in it to no

i lived there for a few months is that enough? :P
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2008, 05:47:12 AM »
i also see EU as the united states of europe. USE. :zoinks:
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2008, 06:27:10 AM »
I wonder if the EU will have a civil war when the southern states secede.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline AspiePride

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2008, 07:26:45 AM »
Can't we just threaten to set the Neds on anyone who pisses us off?

:plus:
Normality Is A Myth

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2014, 02:07:18 PM »
Bumped for the vote. :viking:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline postpaleo

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2014, 05:52:04 PM »

Probably someone from Scotland, the rest don't matter?

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2014, 06:31:59 PM »

Probably someone from Scotland, the rest don't matter?

:welcome:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline postpaleo

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2014, 08:36:08 PM »
Oh dude, I met a guy from the blogosphere, like few others, hung out for a while, because we had other things in common. Had nothing, really to do with him and his most excellent political views. I owe him, just for being a hellava nice guy. He is all independence and all the problems it might, or might not, create. It was, one of the most... interesting sites I have ever been at, and I didn't understand half of it. For me, their politics are boring, but I'm not really a Scott, just the Sire name, and anymore, it too, is boring. I'm tired of geopolitical crap, tell me why it might matter. Show me, where, geopolitical works?