Educational

Author Topic: Post something good that happened today  (Read 94013 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Post something good that happened today
« Reply #2115 on: March 14, 2009, 05:35:35 PM »
I normally hate to see mail!  One good thing hit my mailbox, today.

I opened the notification from my local bank advising me of my income tax return being directly deposited into my account.

I am (minorly)  rich-like, YaY!

Last year, I got my investment dividend and my income tax return in the same week. (I've had my dividend for a month - I procrastinated on my taxes this year) I have made a decision to re-invest my dividend in BBy stock  (HoW's that for a company MAN!!  Actually, their stock is at a fairly low point right now and as an employee, I get an unbelievable break. They go from the date you buy "in"  out six months to the future and the actual selling price of the stocks you buy is the one day average lowest price during that six month period. Employees get a fifteen percent discount from that six month low price. Even if I only keep it for six months, I am guaranteed at the very minimum a fifteen percent return on my investment. NOT bad, really!  I only wish I had more than fourteen thousand to invest, right now), so I don't have as much "funny money"  as last year.  (Last year I re-did half the house with all the bounty of my yearly dividend and my tax return) 

We will still have a nice night out on our anniversary (I have made big plans for her for the day - she knows to keep that day free, but the spa/pampering thing is a surprise), buy about a hundred movies (mostly for the kids  -  we don't do television in our house) and CDs (a few for all of us - we're all music lovers), all new living room furnishings  (TeH HoRRoR!!  but, she wants it ...), both cars "renewed/tune-up/maintained/" in a big way (put it off for a while, time to catch up), seven books on my endless list, a new sewing machine for my wife (she has it all picked out), a bunch of jeans and tops for the kids (this is constant), a fancy Viburnum fragrant flowering shrub I have coveted for a few years and a few other things, but - ALAS, my camera will have to wait, again.
I will have to wait.
I feel that my investment return will either buy a camera or a HDTV. We'll have to see where we are in six months.

BTW, this is what it is like to be "retired-ish,"  with all you previous work, hopefully set in motion to save yourself from yourself.  You have moments of great clarity which only slightly punctuate ages of confusion.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 05:40:48 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #2116 on: March 14, 2009, 05:48:38 PM »
made a decision to re-invest my dividend in BBy stock

Interesting, and here I was holding off from that EA stock because of that adage about not investing in the place you work for. Maybe I'm being overly cautious.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2117 on: March 14, 2009, 05:55:45 PM »
Did some troubleshooting on a Dolby processor and found the problem.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2118 on: March 14, 2009, 06:22:31 PM »
Got a lot of yard work done
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2119 on: March 14, 2009, 08:40:35 PM »

Interesting, and here I was holding off from that EA stock because of that adage about not investing in the place you work for. Maybe I'm being overly cautious.

I think that investing in the place you work for is fine especially if you get a good discount on their stock like DirtDawg does, but you would not want to make it your only investment over the long term.

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #2120 on: March 14, 2009, 10:42:12 PM »
My aspie self sorted out yet another crisis in Aspie son's life. Don't want to speak too soon, but I may actually be improving with practice.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2121 on: March 14, 2009, 10:46:55 PM »
My aspie self sorted out yet another crisis in Aspie son's life. Don't want to speak too soon, but I may actually be improving with practice.

Is the crisis something that you can talk about?

Today, I helped my twelve year old daughter sort her laundry into darks and lights and then she washed it.

:laundry:

Offline SleepyDragon

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #2122 on: March 14, 2009, 11:00:48 PM »
It was a matter of his leaving out one small but crucial step in planning an event. Threw his entire plan into jeopardy, and he got angry. Managed to calm him down long enough for him to come up with an acceptable solution on his own. :whew:

Oh, and well done on the laundry. My sons aren't fully trained in it yet. :D

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2123 on: March 14, 2009, 11:06:58 PM »
It was a matter of his leaving out one small but crucial step in planning an event. Threw his entire plan into jeopardy, and he got angry. Managed to calm him down long enough for him to come up with an acceptable solution on his own. :whew:

Oh, and well done on the laundry. My sons aren't fully trained in it yet. :D

My daughter's hasn't fully mastered the art of doing laundry yet, either.  She does a very good job unloading the dishwasher and and taking out the trash, though.

How old are your sons?

Offline SleepyDragon

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #2124 on: March 14, 2009, 11:12:28 PM »
12 and 15, soon to be 13 and 16. That was one reason why the workshops on adolescent Asperger's issues were of particular interest for me. The older son is diagnosed, and the younger son has some spectrumy qualities, though he has never been formally assessed.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2125 on: March 15, 2009, 03:46:26 AM »

How old is your son?

EDIT: Never mind. I should have read the thread all the way through before posting. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2126 on: March 15, 2009, 01:14:55 PM »

I think that old adage is faulty from its premise.

Like Callaway has already mentioned, though, while we may be able to contribute to our fortunes on a minuscule level at work, we should not place all our eggs into one basket.

Mine are not. This is only my fifth time to invest privately. I use a professional, mostly, but one things they do not want you to know is that collectibles are unbelievably profitable and extremely RISKY, to say the least. I have been very lucky following trends in modern culture.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2127 on: March 15, 2009, 01:22:24 PM »

Practice and application is all you have to work with. It feels good when you make the best of it.

Mine are both struggling now and I am almost out of "trix."

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #2128 on: March 15, 2009, 01:32:53 PM »
Practice and application with your kids? Or somewhere else?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2129 on: March 15, 2009, 09:52:33 PM »

Did you see this article about EA complaining about the insanely long hours which was written by a disgruntled spouse?

http://ea-spouse.livejournal.com/274.html