Author Topic: Post something good that happened today  (Read 93735 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Post something good that happened today
« Reply #660 on: February 20, 2008, 01:21:19 PM »
A UK recruitment agency called to ask me if I was interested in a manager job. Unfortunately, in the UK. Full time, on site. Had to turn it down.

sods law. still, shows your skills are still in demand, right?  :bangbang:

Yeah, it's a good thing they called. I'm still tempted to call back and change my mind, but I don't see how that would work out.

What would the job be?

"Document manager", meaning that I'd be in charge of some tech writers and supervise/be the architect behind the company's documentation strategy. It sounded like my thing.  :'(

Couldn't you move?

Says the biggest baby in the world about moving, although she has done it countless times.

I could, maybe, but my family wouldn't. I don't want my kids to grow up without me.

I moved a lot, dozens of times, when I was a kid, but after I finally got a place of my own, 24 years ago, I have only moved 4 times.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #661 on: February 20, 2008, 02:07:44 PM »
Got my car back from the garage and the problem was not as bad as I thought!  <phew>

You may owe penance, but don't you love the car gods when they shrug.

Possibly, I'm sure they have it in for me and are saving that for the worst possible moment.   :-\

I don't know that it was the worst, but a month and a half ago, I had just taken a large dividend from an investment that really needed to remain untouched to pay an old debt that I had forgotten, when I had to buy a battery, then about a week later a new pair of tires.

:GA:

It's like that sometimes.

I still think I have gotten by easy with the car gods, lately. Glad you did, too.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

ozymandias

« Reply #662 on: February 20, 2008, 02:41:26 PM »
Got my car back from the garage and the problem was not as bad as I thought!  <phew>

You may owe penance, but don't you love the car gods when they shrug.

Possibly, I'm sure they have it in for me and are saving that for the worst possible moment.   :-\

I don't know that it was the worst, but a month and a half ago, I had just taken a large dividend from an investment that really needed to remain untouched to pay an old debt that I had forgotten, when I had to buy a battery, then about a week later a new pair of tires.

:GA:

It's like that sometimes.

I still think I have gotten by easy with the car gods, lately. Glad you did, too.

Galadriel, (my cars name  :P) turned 10 y/o this year and has 185,000 miles on it.  I'm hoping to get at least 2 or more years out of her.   :crossed: :crossed:  "Knock on wood"

I should add that I take her in for servicing every 3000 or so miles and run her thru the full service car wash periodically especially in winter to keep the road salt off as much as possible.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 02:43:39 PM by ozymandias »

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #663 on: February 20, 2008, 02:46:40 PM »
Got a hefty check from the school and not a moment to soon 8)
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #664 on: February 20, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »
A UK recruitment agency called to ask me if I was interested in a manager job. Unfortunately, in the UK. Full time, on site. Had to turn it down.

Yeah, it's a good thing they called. I'm still tempted to call back and change my mind, but I don't see how that would work out.

What would the job be?

"Document manager", meaning that I'd be in charge of some tech writers and supervise/be the architect behind the company's documentation strategy. It sounded like my thing.  :'(

Couldn't you move?

Says the biggest baby in the world about moving, although she has done it countless times.

I could, maybe, but my family wouldn't. I don't want my kids to grow up without me.

I moved a lot, dozens of times, when I was a kid, but after I finally got a place of my own, 24 years ago, I have only moved 4 times.

That is a lot of times.  Why did you have to move so much when you were a kid?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #665 on: February 20, 2008, 05:08:41 PM »

What would the job be?

Couldn't you move?

My father had a drinking problem and couldn't hold a job for very long, which meant that he didn't pay enough of the bills and we got kicked out a lot, basically. There was a horrible three-year period when we didn't stay in one place for more than a few weeks at a time,with two exceptions (of around five or six months each).

Most of this was after we left Finland, btw. I suppose we had fewer relatives to help us out. /shrugs

When I started at the uni and got my own place, I stayed there for eight years. ;D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Sophgay

« Reply #666 on: February 20, 2008, 07:57:59 PM »
I think tonight is going to be a good night; my OCD stuff is all sorted, I found some Lucozade in the fridge, I have a creme egg, some cake and some crisps, and everything seems ok

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #667 on: February 20, 2008, 08:33:12 PM »

What would the job be?

Couldn't you move?

My father had a drinking problem and couldn't hold a job for very long, which meant that he didn't pay enough of the bills and we got kicked out a lot, basically. There was a horrible three-year period when we didn't stay in one place for more than a few weeks at a time,with two exceptions (of around five or six months each).

Most of this was after we left Finland, btw. I suppose we had fewer relatives to help us out. /shrugs

When I started at the uni and got my own place, I stayed there for eight years. ;D

That's terrible that you moved so much.

We really didn't, except for one really bad year. My dad re-located when I was six, moved once more into a permanent house and we stayed there until I was seventeen.
At that time he relocated again, but the job did not work out. He only stayed at that job for three months, then we moved back "home." So, in one year we moved into a company temporary house, then a rental apartment, then bought a house in a period of three months. Since it did not work out we moved back across the state again, into an apartment and two months later they found the house where my dad spent the rest of his life.

But kind of like your bad years, but not as bad. It was five moves in one year.
:yikes:

Since I've been on my own I have moved around a bit."Living" on the road, I had lots of apartments and almost NO furniture. I had my stereo and a couch, some books and a desk lamp and other than a few mismatched plates and eating utensils, that was it. Where ever I had set my stereo up WAS home.

:D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 08:40:41 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Sophgay

« Reply #668 on: February 20, 2008, 08:35:29 PM »
I lived with my grandparents till I was about 12
Then we rented somewhere for a few months, then rented somewhere else for about a year
Then we moved into the house I live in now
We're moving to Ireland in a couple years
I'd like to move to San Francisco one day, when I've sorted out all my AS stuff and can live on my own
But the houses round where I'd want to live cost loads
So I'll never be able to afford it
Makes everything seem kind of pointless really

Sophgay

« Reply #669 on: February 20, 2008, 08:35:47 PM »
I need to be near the ocean
I think that will help me

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #670 on: February 21, 2008, 03:09:50 AM »

What would the job be?

Couldn't you move?

That's terrible that you moved so much.

We really didn't, except for one really bad year. My dad re-located when I was six, moved once more into a permanent house and we stayed there until I was seventeen.
At that time he relocated again, but the job did not work out. He only stayed at that job for three months, then we moved back "home." So, in one year we moved into a company temporary house, then a rental apartment, then bought a house in a period of three months. Since it did not work out we moved back across the state again, into an apartment and two months later they found the house where my dad spent the rest of his life.

But kind of like your bad years, but not as bad. It was five moves in one year.
:yikes:

Since I've been on my own I have moved around a bit."Living" on the road, I had lots of apartments and almost NO furniture. I had my stereo and a couch, some books and a desk lamp and other than a few mismatched plates and eating utensils, that was it. Where ever I had set my stereo up WAS home.

:D

i'm the opposite: had a very stable homelife as a kid, and have been a gypsy ever since striking out on my own - technically, i could be considered a traveller, as i never stay anywhere very long.  well, until i started owning my own home, and the only reason i don't move every couple of years is cos it's uneconomic to do so.

i've just got itchy feet.  :D

actually, that's not true - i know what i need to be able to "settle down".

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #671 on: February 21, 2008, 05:22:20 AM »
Phoned Logitech about my spongy-sticky keyboard. Surprisingly, they agreed to replace it and I got a new one from the dealer I bought the first one from. :woohoo:

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #672 on: February 21, 2008, 05:27:53 AM »
Phoned Logitech about my spongy-sticky keyboard. Surprisingly, they agreed to replace it and I got a new one from the dealer I bought the first one from. :woohoo:

yay!  :hug:

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #673 on: February 21, 2008, 05:28:39 AM »
i got my belated valentine's day card and pressies!

:woohoo:

:heart:

all sorts of goodies - don't know which one to start on first!

stimstimstim.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #674 on: February 21, 2008, 05:29:29 AM »

yay!  :hug:

It's something of a miracle, isn't it? It never crossed my mind to call them, until late last night when I was browsing the intergeeks, thinking about buying a new keyboard.

- Albert Einstein