Educational

Author Topic: Catholic?  (Read 5351 times)

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: Catholic?
« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2016, 02:08:31 PM »
You tobogganed through the gravestones? :laugh:

There was a really steep drop down a hill into a lower section of the cemetery.  No stones were harmed.  :laugh:
:laugh:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2016, 03:19:50 PM »

There was a really steep drop down a hill into a lower section of the cemetery.  No stones were harmed.  :laugh:

But I bet you tickled some bones.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2016, 04:11:49 PM »

But I bet you tickled some bones.

If so, the bones are keeping their secrets.  :boo:  :trollskull:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2016, 03:45:53 AM »
Religion is such a non-issue to me.
I find it,  for the most part, quaint and mildly interesting to view from a distance.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2016, 01:50:54 PM »
I find it,  for the most part, quaint and mildly interesting to view from a distance.

I went through a period of missing the trappings.  I toyed with the idea of resuming some of
  the traditions, particularly the keeping of an Advent wreath, attending Mass just to bask in the nostalgia
  and the beauty of the churches, and to feel connected in some way to my childhood faith community.
  The thought I had, and I knew it was stupid, was "I'd love to be Catholic again, I just wish I didn't
  have to include the Christianity parts of it."  It really was a kind of homesickness for the past.  :apondering:

People forget.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2016, 06:53:29 PM »
I went through a period of missing the trappings.  I toyed with the idea of resuming some of
  the traditions, particularly the keeping of an Advent wreath, attending Mass just to bask in the nostalgia
  and the beauty of the churches, and to feel connected in some way to my childhood faith community.
  The thought I had, and I knew it was stupid, was "I'd love to be Catholic again, I just wish I didn't
  have to include the Christianity parts of it."  It really was a kind of homesickness for the past.  :apondering:

Went through a similar phase no too long ago of considering re-visiting the church. Haven't really spent much time at all in church, could probably count on fingers and toes, so it's not nostalgia but simply liking the eerie electricity of a large congregation. Though wouldn't feel right about attending church regularly without paying tithe, and decided that's not something I want to do.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2016, 06:57:10 PM »

Why not do it?  No one is taking attendance or seeing who puts in the collection plate.  Go for the tranquility and relaxation.  PA has been Lutheran for so many years he could give the sermon himself.  He just works math problems during the sermon.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2016, 12:07:36 AM »
I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school through 8th grade. The nuns pegged me as a trouble maker, but really they hated me because I didn't need to study. They were even more upset when I was the only one in the school who got into the high school for the gifted. They made excuses for the other students in my class.

I mostly like the sameness of the rituals and the singing in other churches. I stopped being Catholic when I went away to college and became a born again christian. Now I would say I am some hybrid of eastern religions.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2016, 07:03:47 AM »

Went through a similar phase no too long ago of considering re-visiting the church. Haven't really spent much time at all in church, could probably count on fingers and toes, so it's not nostalgia but simply liking the eerie electricity of a large congregation. Though wouldn't feel right about attending church regularly without paying tithe, and decided that's not something I want to do.
Go Unitarian?
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2016, 06:57:33 PM »

Go Unitarian?
No. Prefer the large-scale old-school evangelical Christian environment. Explained it once.

Part of the preference for the large crowd is because there's less of a likelihood of being directly mistaken as belonging. The creepy factor is the draw and the size of the group certainly lends to that, with the borg drone of massive congregation repeating in unison. It's like sitting in the epicenter of a mass hypnosis while being the only one awake. It's very interesting, exciting, and enjoyably creepy.
Also enjoy the environment of a large congregation atmosphere with a high spirited evangelical preacher, just not as favorite; though definitely second favorite. It's easy to get lost in the crowd. The electricity generated in the air is truly palpable and makes the hairs stand up on the skin; it's easy to see how others might sense it too and find it to be something meaningful.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2016, 06:12:56 AM »
  I understand what Jack is saying about the "borg drone" of the congregation repeating lines.  :borg: :borg: :borg:
   Mass is full of that repetition, plus endless raising and lowering of kneelers. 
   Sit, kneel, stand, rinse, repeat.  During Holy Week it gets really ridiculous.  :laugh:

People forget.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2016, 10:59:29 AM »
  I understand what Jack is saying about the "borg drone" of the congregation repeating lines.  :borg: :borg: :borg:
   Mass is full of that repetition, plus endless raising and lowering of kneelers. 
   Sit, kneel, stand, rinse, repeat.   During Holy Week it gets really ridiculous.  :laugh:

Just think of the possibilities  of combining a gym and a church with a priest/coach it would be a work out for the body and soul  :2thumbsup:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #132 on: October 29, 2016, 09:30:21 PM »
It is the only thing that keeps you from being absolutely bored shitless as a kid (all the sitting kneeling, standing that is).
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2016, 05:16:14 AM »
i grew up catholic. went to catholic grade school through 8th grade. as a child i knew the difference between what was written and what was practiced which got me into a lot of trouble. that and the "experimental" public phase of my art career.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2016, 11:55:25 AM »
Always thought catholicism was the least bad of the christian varieties. Or maybe I'm just weird.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein