Author Topic: Religious adds  (Read 685 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Religious adds
« on: September 11, 2007, 05:47:11 AM »
I just saw an add for a faith healer on local television with testimonials and  they gave the church address and everything.  Lately I have been seeing and hearing more of this junk what is going on.  It's not like I live in the Bible belt I live in New England. Is this becoming more common elsewhere too?
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Religious adds
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 05:53:54 AM »
I have seen a church advertisement on the tv, it showed all these young people having a good time, looked like a party. Showed a bunch of people walking along all happy then they walk up to the door of a modern looking church. I thought it was funny because it tried to make out that it was a trendy thing to do, to go to church.

On Western Australian tv.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 06:41:18 PM »
I just saw an add for a faith healer on local television with testimonials and  they gave the church address and everything.  Lately I have been seeing and hearing more of this junk what is going on.  It's not like I live in the Bible belt I live in New England. Is this becoming more common elsewhere too?

When I lived in Maine, one of the things that I noticed was that the holy rollers were trying to lure disaffected/ disenchanted Catholics into their churches. -- New Englanders on the other hand are for the most part more enlightened than that.

Also in the south, even though there are a lot of people who go to church regularly, a surprising number of people avoid the holy roller types. --For the record, when I lived in Charlotte, NC, faith healer Benny Hinn put in an appearance at the Charlotte Colesium, which was only a few miles away from the Gas station/ convenience store where I was working third shift. After the event let out, a lot of people who were there came in to the stor to buy gas, snacks, and what have you. One girl who apparently had been 'healed' by Benny Hinn approached the cash register to pay for her stuff, and then went into a massive siezure, and wound up being dragged out by her relatives.

Also, the Reverand, preacher what have you who runs a local chain of Thrift stores, a Drug/ alcohol rehabilitation program and a homeless shelter rides around in a Hummer H2. --Jesus $ave$ :wanker:
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 08:47:04 PM »
"Place your hands on the TV and pray with me now and you shall be healed!!!"

It's becoming more common everywhere.  :P

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 01:27:26 AM »
One girl who apparently had been 'healed' by Benny Hinn approached the cash register to pay for her stuff, and then went into a massive siezure, and wound up being dragged out by her relatives.
That is awful.  :(
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 05:05:30 AM »
Also, the Reverand, preacher what have you who runs a local chain of Thrift stores, a Drug/ alcohol rehabilitation program and a homeless shelter rides around in a Hummer H2. --Jesus $ave$ Wanker

We have one of those around here too he reminds me of Jim Jones
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

ozymandias

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 06:17:09 AM »
I see a lot of those Preacher/infomercials on cable tv.  Especially in the early am and the wee hours of the night, when they can buy cheap time.

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 12:56:52 AM »
It's not as bad as Jehovah's Witnesses knocking at your your door every Sunday afternoon..............
Park.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 12:59:43 AM »
Eat them, and they stop coming.

Offline Gluey

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 01:03:58 AM »
I'm moving to a suburban neighborhood in two weeks. I have never actually had to deal with them, living on the southern most point of the island because it's a bitch to get there.  I will give them a piece of my mind if they come at my door.
Park.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 01:18:58 AM »
I'm moving to a suburban neighborhood in two weeks. I have never actually had to deal with them, living on the southern most point of the island because it's a bitch to get there.  I will give them a piece of my mind if they come at my door.
You could say that you are busy right now and ask for their address so that you can go to their house later on and tell them what you think of religion.  ;)
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Kiriana

• The Ultimate Answer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2007, 09:46:53 AM »

Theoretically, they keep a "do not call" list...if you ask them not to come back, they shouldn't.  If they do come back after that, I'm fond of letting them see and hear my large (but utterly harmless) German Shepherd charging at the door.  ;)  (I have a friend who's JW.  We get along great as long as we don't talk religion :P)

Scrapheap

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 09:59:50 AM »

When they come to your door, preach the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster to them.  ;) ;D

duncvis

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 04:21:19 AM »

When they come to your door, preach the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster to them.  ;) ;D

They don't like me at all. Last time I offered to print them up a tract of MY religious beliefs for when they came again. they didn't come.  :laugh:

Offline Gluey

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 01:34:33 PM »
"Hey I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses my father is suffering heart complications and he needs an angioplasty or he will die but he's not getting one cause God will save him!"

Thats howI kind of portray these people.
Park.