Author Topic: Photo Thread.  (Read 145567 times)

Litigious

Re: Photo Thread.
« Reply #690 on: April 13, 2007, 03:57:11 PM »
I'm 36 and have most of my hair. They say that if you have most of your hair at 40, you'll usually have it for the rest of your life.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #691 on: April 13, 2007, 03:58:43 PM »
I'm 42 so if that's true I have other things to worry about?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #692 on: April 13, 2007, 04:00:01 PM »
Yep. Like the Worldwide Mad Deadly Gangster Computer God.  8)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #693 on: April 13, 2007, 04:00:50 PM »
It does worry me. :o
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #694 on: April 13, 2007, 04:04:56 PM »
My guess is that you get to keep it for quite a while. Have a look at your father and you'll get a pretty good idea, though.

I read that because male pattern baldness is X-chromosome linked, you would get a better idea of how much hair you will have when you grow older if you look at your mother's brothers' hair rather than your father's hair.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #695 on: April 13, 2007, 04:06:21 PM »
My guess is that you get to keep it for quite a while. Have a look at your father and you'll get a pretty good idea, though.

My dad had lots of hair left when he died, in spite of radiation treatment and reaching 68. Looks like I don't have to worry although most of it is gray.

My dad hasn't shown any signs of balding, despite having smoked like a chimney all his life, having been an alcoholic at one point and having such a bad diet that he needs to go to the doctor for vitamin B12 shots.  He's 59 now, I think.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

richard

« Reply #696 on: April 13, 2007, 04:06:30 PM »
callaway i wouldnt listen to george

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #697 on: April 13, 2007, 04:08:13 PM »
Who's George? I forgot to ask in that other thread... :P

- Albert Einstein

richard

« Reply #698 on: April 13, 2007, 04:08:43 PM »
you are george bush

richard

« Reply #699 on: April 13, 2007, 04:12:21 PM »
here is a better picture of me so you can see i still have my hair

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #700 on: April 13, 2007, 04:14:01 PM »

I read that because male pattern baldness is X-chromosome linked, you would get a better idea of how much hair you will have when you grow older if you look at your mother's brothers' hair rather than your father's hair.

My mum's brother has pronounced balding.  :(
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #701 on: April 13, 2007, 04:43:25 PM »

The hairline is what's interesting here. Can you post a picture of that?

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #702 on: April 13, 2007, 05:21:40 PM »
http://www.banderasnews.com/0507/hb-baldness.htm

Genes in Male-Pattern Baldness Identified

Researchers in Germany have found that variations in a gene related to male sex hormones may be at the root of male-pattern baldness, the most common form of hair loss. The culprit is the androgen receptor gene, and it dwells on the X chromosome, which all men inherit from their mothers.

Experts have long believed that hair loss in inherited. But the new research, to be published in the American Journal of Human Genetics, is the first to identify a specific gene that may be involved, according to the study authors.

Other, yet-unidentified genes are likely involved in male-pattern baldness, possibly including ones handed down by fathers. But the new findings highlight the importance of mom's side of the family when it comes to a man's hairline, according to the study authors, led by Dr. Markus M. Nothen of the University of Bonn.

A young man concerned about the future of his hair may do better to look toward his maternal grandfather's hair history rather than his father's, according to the researchers.

Their study included 95 German families in which at least two brothers had begun losing their hair before the age of 40. Using blood samples from these men and other family members without early hair loss, the researchers found that a particular variant in the androgen receptor gene occurred much more frequently among men with early male-pattern baldness compared with men who retained a full head of hair past the age of 60.

The androgen receptor gene helps govern the workings of male sex hormones (androgens), such as testosterone. Though these hormones promote the growth of body and facial hair, on the scalp excess androgens may cause hair loss.

It's possible, according to Nothen and his colleagues, that the suspect gene variant creates a greater number of androgen receptors in the scalp -- and therefore stronger androgen activity.

The researchers say they are continuing to hunt down the other genes involved in early-onset male-pattern baldness. Scientists hope that getting at the genetic roots of hair loss will eventually spawn better baldness treatments or a cure.

SOURCE: American Journal of Human Genetics, July 2005.

richard

« Reply #703 on: April 13, 2007, 05:38:26 PM »

The hairline is what's interesting here. Can you post a picture of that?
i already did you clown, in this thread george bush. go back and re reed i know its hard

richard

« Reply #704 on: April 13, 2007, 05:41:33 PM »
here i'll do it for you,