Author Topic: Ask dunc anything (if you must)  (Read 29969 times)

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
Re: Ask duncvis anything (if you must)
« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2006, 11:33:41 AM »
Have you ever made a special meal for a special someone? If so describe the meal and the person.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

duncvis

« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2006, 01:37:38 PM »
Not that I can remember. I lack the concentration/awareness of time to be a good cook - when I was 16, I set fire to my parents kitchen making toast. That went down well.  >:D ???

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #137 on: June 28, 2006, 12:56:09 PM »
Have you ever wished you could have taken another path in life? And if so what would that path be?
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Triste

« Reply #138 on: June 28, 2006, 03:50:58 PM »
How did you first find out about AS?
How old were you at the time?

duncvis

« Reply #139 on: June 28, 2006, 04:20:43 PM »
Have you ever wished you could have taken another path in life? And if so what would that path be?

had to tell really - stuff tends to happen for a reason. I just haven't worked out the reason for some of it yet.
hmm. I wish I had known things before making assumptions - the biggest of which is borrowing money in the mistaken belief that I would soon be on a higher and rising income like my university peers. That one fucked up big time. I wish I'd focused more on music when younger. Knowing about AS might have helped make better choices, but its a bit late now.

How did you first find out about AS?
How old were you at the time?

I first heard of AS in the early 90s, but didn't think much of it - after all, I wasn't a trainspotter or a total outcast, so I didn't think it applied to me. It wasn't until my son's school spotted his AS four years ago that the penny dropped - he was diagnosed 6 months later, and after a lenghty fight for NHS funding I was finally diagnosed in August 2004. The most irritating aspect was that my mother had suspected I was on the autistic spectrum for a long time, and said nothing>:(

Triste

« Reply #140 on: June 28, 2006, 04:24:20 PM »
Knowing about AS might have helped make better choices, but its a bit late now.
Well put - I feel the same way.

IThe most irritating aspect was that my mother had suspected I was on the autistic spectrum for a long time, and said nothing>:(
OMG  :o  Are you pissed at her?  My mother has AS and refuses to acknowledge either my AS or her own.

duncvis

« Reply #141 on: June 28, 2006, 04:29:43 PM »
I was very pissed off for some time, as knowing would have helped with so much, both me and my son - she said after we found out he has AS that she had thought so for a couple of years. Cheers Mum.

I think it was very bad judgement on her part and she tends to assume the ostrich position when she sees something she doesn't want to acknowledge, unfortunately.  ::) I'm on civil terms with her these days even though I still think she hasn't got a clue, no point in bearing a grudge. Parents  ???

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2006, 04:58:20 PM »
What did your dad think about the dx (both yours and your son's)?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

duncvis

« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2006, 05:30:06 PM »
My dad has AS traits, some of which he acknowledges, some he doesn't seem aware of. He seems to feel that because he has found ways to adapt, I should be able to also.  ::)

If nothing else he has theory of mind issues... :P

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2006, 07:15:07 AM »
Like my mom said, "we're all a little autistic, after all". ::)

I'm not exactly sure how that's for an uplifting comment, but she probably meant it in that way.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

duncvis

« Reply #145 on: June 29, 2006, 09:38:42 AM »
That probably explains the 'lack of empathy' we get from people at large then...  ::) :P

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #146 on: June 29, 2006, 11:14:19 AM »
do you think that you could learn to love ascan?
Misunderstood.

duncvis

« Reply #147 on: June 29, 2006, 12:14:14 PM »

do you think that you could learn to muff ascan?
doubtful... why has he had a sex change?  >:D

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #148 on: June 29, 2006, 12:18:47 PM »
do you think that you could learn to muff ascan?
doubtful... why has he had a sex change?  >:D

only if he's changed hands. :D
Misunderstood.

duncvis

« Reply #149 on: June 29, 2006, 12:26:15 PM »
ha, ha, ha.... BOOM BOOM