Educational

Author Topic: Have you ever felt like you wanted to move another country  (Read 4431 times)

Teejay

Have you ever felt like you wanted to move another country
« on: April 20, 2007, 03:16:00 AM »
To those who have not already done so, have you ever felt so alienated from your fellow countrymen that you wanted to move to another country.

I've felt this for a long time and considered a lot moving to another country, probably the USA.

Litigious

Re: Have you ever felt like you wanted to move another country
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 03:19:57 AM »
I feel totally different from most Swedes. I think my countrymen are naïve, conformistic and passive aggressive. I'm cynical, and when I'm aggressive it's very openly. And I'm most certainly not conformistic.

I'd like to move as well, either to the US or some German speaking country, but rather Austria or Switzerland than Germany itself.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 03:28:05 AM »
After seeing how nice things were where my parents have moved to in France I would love to move out there too, unfortunately that's something that's going to have to wait for a few years. I'd love to be able to get away from the increasing chav culture (and chav wannabes) we seem to have in this area.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 03:46:22 AM »
Yeah, but it's probably stupid since people like lit want to move here.
I want Switzerland for the mountains.

Teejay

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 03:53:23 AM »
I feel totally different from most Swedes. I think my countrymen are naïve, conformistic and passive aggressive. I'm cynical, and when I'm aggressive it's very openly. And I'm most certainly not conformistic.

I feel totally different from other Australians too. I probably think more like a lot of Americans do than a lot of Australians. I find my fellow country persons having too much faith in government, also resenting rich and powerful people too much.

Plus a lot of the good aspects of the Australian lifestyle like the 'Quarter Acre (0.10 hectares) block' suburbia is under attack by urban planners who want 'European' style dense cities in Australia.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 07:01:09 AM »
To those who have not already done so, have you ever felt so alienated from your fellow countrymen that you wanted to move to another country.

I've felt this for a long time and considered a lot moving to another country, probably the USA.
it's probably just an AS thing....not having a feeling of belonging.  i suspect that you will feel this wherever you move to.
Misunderstood.

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 07:13:06 AM »
Agreed

'Wherever you go, there you are'

I often feel totally alienated from the people around me and this can make me feel down but at other times I feel like I am living on my own little island sanctuary in my own house, and this means I can forget about the outside world.

I would not like to live elsewhere as there would be an extra level of alientation with the culture shock etc

I think human nature is going to be essentially the same wherever you go and at least I have a modicum of things in common with people here

I feel I would be running away if I left the country

I prefer the stand and fight!   :grrr:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 07:14:47 AM by esme456 »

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 07:19:49 AM »

it's probably just an AS thing....not having a feeling of belonging.  i suspect that you will feel this wherever you move to.

I am a possible personification of this statement. Square peg trying to fit in a world of wallowed out holes. I moved around a lot in the USA.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 07:27:06 AM »

I am a possible personification of this statement. Square peg trying to fit in a world of wallowed out holes. I moved around a lot in the USA.
and now you call your home away from the big city?
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 07:37:32 AM »

I guess that's true. I'd like the gun laws and some other stuff if I really made it becoming a US citizen, but I'd probably feel that I "belonged" even less than in Sweden in all other matters. We are aspies; rootless and homeless wherever we go, belonging nowhere and to no one.  :(

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 07:41:21 AM »

Oh, hell no!
I live in a growing city, that will eventually meet Indy, half way, and I have no peace. Even though I have many small trees in my yard I can never hear the wind in them, because of the traffic.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 07:50:24 AM »

Oh, hell no!
I live in a growing city, that will eventually meet Indy, half way, and I have no peace. Even though I have many small trees in my yard I can never hear the wind in them, because of the traffic.
that sucks.

one day, when i retire, i want to buy one side of a mountain and build a huge wall and stockpile guns.
Misunderstood.

The_P

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 08:42:48 AM »

I guess that's true. I'd like the gun laws and some other stuff if I really made it becoming a US citizen, but I'd probably feel that I "belonged" even less than in Sweden in all other matters. We are aspies; rootless and homeless wherever we go, belonging nowhere and to no one.  :(

I love being a vagrant, bitch.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 09:06:12 AM »
one day, when i retire, i want to buy one side of a mountain and build a huge wall and stockpile guns.

You sound like my mom.

Offline Diesel

• Log splitting aspie elitist
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 09:39:52 AM »
I think I'd like to live in New Zealand.....never been there though.
At the top of my list of places to go to though.

I kinda like where I'm at now though even though I hated the area 8 years ago.
Having a house in a relativley private setting makes all the difference.

I'm also very drawn to the Pacific Northwest.
I think I'd be very happy in Northern California, Oregon, or Southern Washington.
Maybe I can live in a giant redwood tree.