Author Topic: What do you want?  (Read 26495 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What do you want?
« Reply #1305 on: November 20, 2012, 08:24:01 AM »
Like Bell's Palsy? My uncle had that. Half his face was paralysed for some months. Not very nice.

Btw, thanks for the :hug:
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #1306 on: November 20, 2012, 11:10:06 PM »
I'd be delighted if my vision just decided to randomly fix itself.

I've had pretty awful vision in my right eye since my pre-teen days, as in those days I was still teaching myself lab techniques (although to this day, I never allow myself to stop learning. The more I read, then go out to the lab and set up an experiment to practise, then the better and more capable I become:))

At the time I was of course, more inexperienced. Was working on a pretty damn simple synthetic procedure, the ring-opening of a certain lactone...which shall remain un-named, but which is often used as a de-bonder for cyanoacrylate glues, and for cleaning alloy wheels.

Boiling hot hydroalcoholic NaOH solution +lactone overheated thanks to adding the caustic too quickly, went up in a mini-vesuvius, and hit me right in the eye.

Ever since, vision in that eye is blurry as hell from anything more than a few feet away.

Managed to irrigate my eye very quickly, within seconds, luckily that night. And both initiate the cleanup, and manage to salvage much product and intermediate lactone, then finish driving my synthesis to completion though before the family awoke. Luckily.

Cleanup wasn't a pleasant task though. The smell of this particular ester is hideous,acrid, akin to putrid, burnt rubber only fouler by far. The big bloody plume of lactone that blasted its way up and out of the condenser used stank to high heaven, and ate away at plastic kitchen fittings wherever it came into contact.

Sod's law-the very moment I took a mere moment to scratch my nose, and re-adjust the fitting of my face mask just had to be the moment the pot decided to exotherm like crazy and go volcanic on me.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #1307 on: November 21, 2012, 12:21:37 AM »
  ^  It's damn lucky you didn't end up completely blind.  :(
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1308 on: November 21, 2012, 12:25:06 AM »
That was bad luck. I remember in school they used to make me wear lab glasses over my regular ones so I was doubly protected, heh.

Did you end up going to the doctor about it or did you keep it to yourself?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1309 on: November 21, 2012, 12:26:19 AM »
I want pain meds.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1310 on: November 21, 2012, 01:33:05 AM »
Yeah CBC, I got lucky. I was much younger (and more inexperienced) than I am now. If nothing else, it taught me to be a lot more careful.  And that not only 'anything that can go wrong, will'

But that it usually picks the worst possible timing to do so. :P

No, I didn't go to the doctors. Immediately went and flushed the eye with cold water, lots, and lots, and LOTS of cold water. Then went back to work. Had to really, there was lactone dripping from the ceiling, the walls, the windows, eating away at the kitchen worksurface, all over the floor, all over me. All had to be cleaned off, and as much as possible extracted from wads of kitchen towel, cleaned up and put back in the flask.

I did at least, manage to A-recover a couple of hundred grams of my ring-opened end product, and B-clean up ground zero before too much plastic anything nearby got eaten. Oh, and C-vent the stench before anybody woke up to bitch about it.

To this day, the odor of that particular cyclic ester makes me retch. *Lestat shudders*

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #1311 on: November 21, 2012, 01:38:37 AM »
Yeah CBC, I got lucky. I was much younger (and more inexperienced) than I am now. If nothing else, it taught me to be a lot more careful.  And that not only 'anything that can go wrong, will'

But that it usually picks the worst possible timing to do so. :P

No, I didn't go to the doctors. Immediately went and flushed the eye with cold water, lots, and lots, and LOTS of cold water. Then went back to work. Had to really, there was lactone dripping from the ceiling, the walls, the windows, eating away at the kitchen worksurface, all over the floor, all over me. All had to be cleaned off, and as much as possible extracted from wads of kitchen towel, cleaned up and put back in the flask.

I did at least, manage to A-recover a couple of hundred grams of my ring-opened end product, and B-clean up ground zero before too much plastic anything nearby got eaten. Oh, and C-vent the stench before anybody woke up to bitch about it.

To this day, the odor of that particular cyclic ester makes me retch. *Lestat shudders*

My mother used to freak out if somebody spilled  crumbs  in the kitchen!
   I don't know what she would have done with a child like you!  :laugh:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1312 on: November 21, 2012, 03:17:09 AM »
Why...bought me, or converted a part of the house into some lab space, of course, if she was the kind, and logical sort of woman.

Wouldn't have to use the kitchen if she had let me use say, a parking garage :autism:

What do I want? more lab space, somewhere I'm not inherently limited in what I can use, as I currently am, due to the space available. I had to convert a box room/study into MY study, which is inside the house, after my mom became so sick with her MS that she was unable to get up or downstairs; meaning I lost the big, spacious garage I formerly worked in as it had to be converted into a downstairs bedroom for her.

I want the space for a full-sized fume hood, and a laminar flow cabinet for doing sterile work with microorganisms too. And I'd like a freezer, for storing solvents in, to reduce evaporation over time. (and of course, for temperature-sensitive reagents)

Even now, I have to store some of my chemicals outside, either in the garden, or behind the shed, etc. Not regular sized containers, such as for instance, the ten liter jugs of methanol, but stuff such as a 4-gallon drum of concentrated sodium hypochlorite solution, and a similarly sized one of diphenylmethyl-4,4-diisocyanate all need to live outside.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #1313 on: November 21, 2012, 10:18:33 AM »
So besides being a crippled junkie who passes out randomly and has seizures, you are also blind as a bat.  You are an imposing figure with all your threats of violence.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1314 on: November 21, 2012, 04:05:12 PM »
Passes out randomly?

I'm not blind in that eye, I can't read without glasses more than a few feet off, I can make out what things look like, but detail vision is pretty poor in the affected eye.

Thankfully I didn't get hit in both eyes, that would be a complete fuckup in every respect. You are, I am sure, familiar with that state MLAmus. :P

Offline Kapkao

• If it's Godunov for you it's good enough for me
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #1315 on: November 22, 2012, 12:40:18 AM »
 :wanker:

So meaningless banter/drivel aside, I discovered my negative karma, and it put a smile on my face -I'm that much closer to achieving an objective set out to do shortly after regging my name on here.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #1316 on: November 22, 2012, 06:49:29 AM »
^ is speaking pigeon english an objective? :orly:
blah blah blah

Offline Kapkao

• If it's Godunov for you it's good enough for me
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #1317 on: November 22, 2012, 02:31:10 PM »
 :dunno:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1318 on: November 22, 2012, 02:35:38 PM »
:wanker:

So meaningless banter/drivel aside, I discovered my negative karma, and it put a smile on my face -I'm that much closer to achieving an objective set out to do shortly after regging my name on here.

Glad it put a smile on your face, considering you seem to have learned nothing.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1319 on: November 22, 2012, 04:04:51 PM »
The winning Powerball lottery numbers for Saturday before they are drawn the jackpot is an estimated 325million dollars now and rising 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw