Educational

Author Topic: What do you want?  (Read 26570 times)

Blasted

Re: What do you want?
« Reply #405 on: March 28, 2010, 11:16:56 PM »
I wanna live in the Netherlands.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #406 on: March 31, 2010, 06:43:12 AM »

Would you learn to speak Dutch, or does everyone speak English over there?
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

TheoK

« Reply #407 on: March 31, 2010, 07:46:32 AM »

Most people below 60 speak English tolerable in western Europe. Younger people speak more or less fluently.  ;)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #408 on: March 31, 2010, 09:48:04 AM »

Most people below 60 speak English tolerable in western Europe. Younger people speak more or less fluently.  ;)

The rules are stupid here.

Any European can come here, without having to learn the language. Do you come from outside of Europe you do have to learn the language. (though most English speaking people get away with it.) To me it is nothing more than polite to learn the basics of a language of a country you are in for more than just a few weeks. And the difference part of the EC or not makes no sense to me.

I've got neighbours for over 7 years now, who cannot but speak 5 or 6 words in Dutch. I know just as much of their language, maybe even more. I just don't think that that is right.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #409 on: March 31, 2010, 10:17:19 AM »

Any European can come here, without having to learn the language. Do you come from outside of Europe you do have to learn the language. (though most English speaking people get away with it.) To me it is nothing more than polite to learn the basics of a language of a country you are in for more than just a few weeks. And the difference part of the EC or not makes no sense to me.

I've got neighbours for over 7 years now, who cannot but speak 5 or 6 words in Dutch. I know just as much of their language, maybe even more. I just don't think that that is right.

I agree.  It would be extremely arrogant not to at least try to learn the language of the country where you live.

I think I even know more Dutch than your neighbors do after seven years.  What is their first language?

TheoK

« Reply #410 on: March 31, 2010, 10:27:09 AM »
Probably Arabic or something.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #411 on: March 31, 2010, 01:44:54 PM »
Probably Arabic or something.

Wrong, then they would have been obliged to learn Dutch, because they would not be from within the European Union. My neighbours are Portuguese. The neighbours before them too, but they did make the effort to learn the language. They were great neighbours to have. They moved elsewhere in the village, but them, their kids and grand-kids mingle well with the village community.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #412 on: March 31, 2010, 03:02:26 PM »

Agreed. I've met Finnish people who have lived here (in Sweden) for 40 years or more without learning more than a few words of Swedish. Their kids, who were either born here or very young when arriving, speak Swedish but very little Finnish, so they can't even talk to their parents properly.

Tragic, really.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #413 on: March 31, 2010, 04:18:45 PM »

Agreed. I've met Finnish people who have lived here (in Sweden) for 40 years or more without learning more than a few words of Swedish. Their kids, who were either born here or very young when arriving, speak Swedish but very little Finnish, so they can't even talk to their parents properly.

Tragic, really.

Yes, three of the people next door went back to Portugal for a while, because the mother could not bear her child talking better Dutch than Portuguese. The five year old just refused to talk her mother tongue. They got back after a bit more than a year. And the kid had to relearn Dutch. The mother still doesn't speak it. I've offered her to help to learn it, but she just doesn't want to. They don't speak English either. Very secluded.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #414 on: March 31, 2010, 07:48:12 PM »

I agree.  It would be extremely arrogant not to at least try to learn the language of the country where you live.

I think I even know more Dutch than your neighbors do after seven years.  What is their first language?

I feel the same way. If I were going to live in another country, not only would I learn to speak their language, but I would work every day to eliminate my American accent so I wasn't mangling their words. I would do this out of respect for my new home.  :headbang2:

*grabs Rosetta Stone software and gets to work!*  :laugh:

People forget.

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #415 on: March 31, 2010, 09:32:07 PM »
I have made a diligent effort to learn conversational Australian, but I could never pass as a native. On my periodic visits to Canada, nobody says to me "Gee, you sound so Aussie now!" My accent has barely changed at all!  :P

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #416 on: March 31, 2010, 09:35:36 PM »
I have made a diligent effort to learn conversational Australian, but I could never pass as a native. On my periodic visits to Canada, nobody says to me "Gee, you sound so Aussie now!" My accent has barely changed at all!  :P

You need to listen to recordings of old Foster's Lager commercials, maybe some Crocodile Dundee movies...  :laugh:

People forget.

TheoK

« Reply #417 on: April 01, 2010, 02:06:34 AM »

I feel the same way. If I were going to live in another country, not only would I learn to speak their language, but I would work every day to eliminate my American accent so I wasn't mangling their words. I would do this out of respect for my new home.  :headbang2:

Most Swedish-speaking Americans are easily recognized on their soft "r" and melodic prosody.  ;)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #418 on: April 01, 2010, 06:25:43 AM »

Most Swedish-speaking Americans are easily recognized on their soft "r" and melodic prosody.  ;)

So, do you Swedes find an American accent pleasing to your ears?  8)

People forget.

TheoK

« Reply #419 on: April 01, 2010, 09:49:59 AM »
English overall sounds a bit "weak" to a Swedish ear. American English sounds more "genuine" and less uppity than British English.