Author Topic: Just one quick bitch ...  (Read 250097 times)

Scrapheap

Re: Just one quick bitch ...
« Reply #18900 on: June 26, 2011, 11:05:05 PM »
that "under god" crap is fuckin BULLSHIT

:agreed: One of the good things about America is that Americans are free to believe in any religion, or no religion.

Tell that to the Christian Right and the Tea party.

It's a shame that the Tea Party got taken over by the Republicans. I'd consider myself a Tea Party member if it wasn't for that.

All they originally stood for was a dismantling of big government.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18901 on: June 26, 2011, 11:13:15 PM »

:agreed: One of the good things about America is that Americans are free to believe in any religion, or no religion.

that is also true here

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #18902 on: June 26, 2011, 11:16:48 PM »

that is also true here

You have a state church, and the leader (or future leader) of England isn't allowed to be a Catholic or marry a Catholic, or else he/she forfeits the throne.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18903 on: June 26, 2011, 11:19:09 PM »
British people are free to believe in any religion, or no religion

^ that was the point, wasn't it?

Our having a state church doesn't prevent someone being muslim or atheist any more than your "in god we trust" "one nation under god" etc does.

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #18904 on: June 26, 2011, 11:25:15 PM »

Our having a state church doesn't prevent someone being muslim or atheist any more than your "in god we trust" "one nation under god" etc does.

True.

I have read that British state schools offer religious education. Is religious education funded by taxpayer money?

Source

There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18905 on: June 26, 2011, 11:26:31 PM »
can't reply now, gotta go. will respond when I get back if no one else does

quick answer -- I had RE (religious ed) in both prim. and sec. school

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #18906 on: June 26, 2011, 11:28:01 PM »
can't reply now, gotta go. will respond when I get back if no one else does

quick answer -- I had RE (religious ed) in both prim. and sec. school

Good luck, Soph. :)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #18907 on: June 27, 2011, 01:55:21 AM »

True.

I have read that British state schools offer religious education. Is religious education funded by taxpayer money?

Source

Here, schools can be connected to a religion. But, they still have to teach about all religions. And they have to teach all subjects. No way a school can skip evolution theory. A school without a religious connection also has to teach about all religions. Part of education on the world we live in.

The Queen is a member of the church, don't know if it still is obligatory.

But, I've never heard of anyone losing a job because of not being religious here. Have heard about things like that happening in the USA. Most people I know are atheist. It's not something big here, or dangerous. And no one has to swear using God as witness.

It's kind of funny that in a State that hasn't taxpayer paid religious schools, all kids are supposed to say "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under G_d, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." every morning.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #18908 on: June 27, 2011, 06:21:45 AM »

True.

Source

Here, schools can be connected to a religion. But, they still have to teach about all religions. And they have to teach all subjects. No way a school can skip evolution theory. A school without a religious connection also has to teach about all religions. Part of education on the world we live in.

But, I've never heard of anyone losing a job because of not being religious here. Have heard about things like that happening in the USA. Most people I know are atheist. It's not something big here, or dangerous. And no one has to swear using God as witness.

It's kind of funny that in a State that hasn't taxpayer paid religious schools, all kids are supposed to say "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under G_d, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." every morning.

The addition of "under God" was made during the Red Scare to distinguish Americans from "godless Communists". It's the product of a moral panic. It's illegal to fire someone for believing in a particular religion, although I don't believe that this applies to religious organizations (otherwise, religious organizations could be forced by anti-discrimination laws to employ people not of that religion).

No school can possibly teach about all religions: how can schools fairly choose which religions to teach? If that curriculum is set at the state level, the state is basically endorsing some religions over others and acting in a way that could further recruitment with taxpayer money.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #18909 on: June 27, 2011, 07:03:06 AM »

True.

Source

The addition of "under God" was made during the Red Scare to distinguish Americans from "godless Communists". It's the product of a moral panic. It's illegal to fire someone for believing in a particular religion, although I don't believe that this applies to religious organizations (otherwise, religious organizations could be forced by anti-discrimination laws to employ people not of that religion).

No school can possibly teach about all religions: how can schools fairly choose which religions to teach? If that curriculum is set at the state level, the state is basically endorsing some religions over others and acting in a way that could further recruitment with taxpayer money.

True, not all religions can be treated in a curriculum at a school. But, some basic understanding of the religious thoughts and rites of the religions that are quite common in society makes sense. Just like a bit of an idea of political streams. The one teaching will, wantingly or not, always bring something in of his or her beliefs. But, if you want to avoid that, you should avoid communication completely.

If you look at demographic maps about atheism, you'll see that it is far more wide spread in Europe than in the USA. Including the Netherlands. Despite schools that have a religious background, being paid for by taxpayers as much per kid as other schools, as long as they teach what needs to be taught.
Link

I've never heard of a European saying that coming out as an atheist could cost him a job. Have heard some Americans say that.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #18910 on: June 27, 2011, 08:37:42 AM »
Noise too much noise outside today
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #18911 on: June 27, 2011, 09:11:21 AM »

True.

Source

What was your point Semi?
Are you saying that we have less religious freedom over here than in the U.S?

Because if so I'm not really sure where you're getting that idea from  ???
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #18912 on: June 27, 2011, 09:35:50 AM »

True.

Source

What was your point Semi?
Are you saying that we have less religious freedom over here than in the U.S?

Because if so I'm not really sure where you're getting that idea from  ???

I don't have a point. I admitted that Heinrich was right, and I asked a tangentially related question about British schools because of an interesting web page that I found.

Offline TA

• Rage Filled Brain of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Face my Squirrely Wrath!
« Reply #18913 on: June 27, 2011, 10:07:20 AM »
Technically Squiddy, you guys across the pond have a lot more religious freedom than those of us in the US.

You guys don't have to constantly listen to phrases like "THIS IS A CHRISTIAN NATION", "ATHEISTS SHOULD HAVE NO RIGHTS", and the big one "ITS FREEDOM OF RELIGION, NOT FREEDOM FROM RELIGION".
The stupidity of humanity FILLS ME WITH RAGE!

eris

« Reply #18914 on: June 27, 2011, 10:18:43 AM »
got a shot in the ass and now i have to go to work   >:(