Educational

Author Topic: I quit  (Read 5709 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: I quit
« Reply #225 on: June 10, 2020, 03:14:17 PM »
I think he's going to be convicted (but the the other 3 may not) because the state can't afford the rioting that will come from letting him go free. Besides, he'd be a dead man walking if he were set free.

And I do think his intent was to kill Floyd. He wouldn't remove his knee until medics told him too. He refused to roll Floyd over on his side despite the fact that he was handcuffed. He wouldn't take his knee off even after being told Floyd had no pulse. If someone becomes unresponsive, you have zero need to keep your knee on his neck for an additional 2 minutes and 53 seconds. That's why I think he wanted him dead.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #226 on: June 10, 2020, 03:37:18 PM »
And this why Al has lost me as a friend and scrap is in strike one on FB.   And this is being a libertarian will lose my support.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 11:58:01 AM by rock hound »
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #227 on: June 10, 2020, 03:44:15 PM »
Phoenix, it either was a deliberate killing or it may as well have been. Chauvin certainly was confident of getting away with it, he killed Floyd while being filmed and in front of multiple witnesses. And with his fellow officers backing him up.

That, to me, smacks of a toxic culture and a lack of accountability. If training fixes those sort of criminal attitudes and behaviours, why do we need jails? Why not just give all convicted criminals more training?

“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #228 on: June 10, 2020, 03:45:31 PM »
And this why Al has lost me as a friend and scrap is in strike one on FB.   And this is being a libertairian will lose my support.

Imagine the cognitive dissonance for Al. How could he possibly choose which group he hates more, cops or BLM?
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #229 on: June 10, 2020, 04:45:46 PM »
Phoenix, it either was a deliberate killing or it may as well have been. Chauvin certainly was confident of getting away with it, he killed Floyd while being filmed and in front of multiple witnesses. And with his fellow officers backing him up.

That, to me, smacks of a toxic culture and a lack of accountability. If training fixes those sort of criminal attitudes and behaviours, why do we need jails? Why not just give all convicted criminals more training?
Exactly. And don't even get me started on the prison system, especially in the US where it's privatized and basically a straight shot from streets to prison for so many Black people, men in particular. There was a case (I forget which state and I wish I could find the actual case) that just went through the system. White male (19) and Black male (20) both committed the same crime, both seen by the same judge. White male got a couple of years Black male got over 20.

If I find it, I'll post it.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline ALL LIVES MATTER

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #230 on: June 10, 2020, 05:01:13 PM »
And this why Al has lost me as a friend and scrap is in strike one on FB.   And this is being a libertairian will lose my support.

this is sweet and touching (not Joe Biden-type touching, normal touching)

No not really. You sound like you are talking gibberish, you buffoon
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 05:04:20 PM by ALL LIVES MATTER »

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #231 on: June 10, 2020, 05:31:16 PM »
tempted to quote everybody here, but will limit myself to these :

[EDIT:  Five new replies appeared whilst i was writing this, mostly pretty  irrelevant  :laugh: I refer to the previous discussion]

I think reevaluating the protocol for wellness checks, like Phoenix said, is one important piece of fixing the system. A cop without psych intervention training shouldn't be put in a position of dealing with a potentially suicidal or unstable person. Nor should a social worker or crisis intervention worker be put in a positionwhere they risk being shot at. Maybe the answer is cop/psych teams, maybe it's specialized training for certain cops who go out on those calls, but it's sickening to see a basic wellness check on a vulnerable person end in brutality because the cops involved viewed every behaviour through the lens of criminal violence.

I wish they put more on the force but there's not many of those teams at all. In a region near me that has over 1.2 million people there are only 2 teams. Just the other day the police were called for a wellness check for a young man with schziophrenia (his parents called because he was trying to start a fire) and he was shot and killed. The SIU was called in but they're not releasing any details to the media other than the officer had very minor injuries.

My issue with the cop/psych combo is that I've seen them in action and they weren't good. I have someone close to me who lives in a group home and they responded to a call regarding her (she's 16 biologically but at a grade 2 level developmentally) and it was made clear they were only there to be used as backup. The Psych was successful de-escalating and the cop got impatient and said it was taking too long and she either had to stop her behaviour immediately or go to jail. Obviously she freaked out because she was terrified and she started crying and hitting herself and he hauled her off to jail.

Hmm. why shouldn't a social worker or crisis intervention worker be put in a position where they risk being shot at?
One reason that springs to mind is: because they're more valuable than brutes like Chauvin, and we wouldn't want to risk losing  them  :laugh: but i'm sure that many  would be happy to volunteer.
 OK, i see other pragmatic reasons why not, and i very much take Phoenix' point about that team.  Might be ifxed perhaps, by giving the psych worker authority over the policeman. and not vice versa?

But the whole freaking system clearly needs a radical overhaul. Tinkering with what's already  in place is not gonna change things enough.

One radical thought i have is: how about training people who are going to be dealing with the public in delicate and potentially dangerous situations in the caring professions first?  Then adding full police training and full police powers on top of that? I'd really  like to see alll policeman replaced with people who had that sort of training.

Costly in the short term ofc, but the benefits to society could be enormous. And if it saved these  escalations from occuring, that would entirely justify any financial investment

I don't know how it is the USA, but in Britain, we could start off pretty cheaply and easily by recruiting unemployed counsellors into the police  (it pays to very careful with the spelling there  :laugh:) We have something like 10 times as many  trained counsellors than we have jobs for professional counsellors.  This happens party  because the caring professions are badly underfunded. and part;y because counselling courses are highly popular, one reason being that they are known to be useful tools for self-development. I've personally  seen people sign up for those courses, and come out much better balanced and more sensitive.  If the trainee can get a job as a professional counsllor, that's a bonus.  Often, ofc.  they don't get any sort of job at all, because we've way more people than we need.   I'm sure that many of those people would love to do police training on top of that and wind up with a socially useful career. People cry out for such roles, even those with good salaries already. Most people would swap their good salary  in a heartbeat for the chance to something meaningful instead. Such opportunities are wasted on oiks like Chauvin

But that's not all.  We still need a thorough investigation, by psychologists into how that toxic cop culture develops, and what we can do to to undermine that development . We all know about it.  It happens all over the world, and it's almost a cliche.

I believe that the findings of Stanley Milgrams famous obedience study are highly relevant here.    It  doesnt explain why a police officer will   ""happily run over an old lady to get to a fellow officer in trouble " (words spoken to me by an actual british policeman once, at a social occasion)  but it certainly explains why authoritarian  power structures are apt to propagate atrocities. We badly need a whole new model, and not only in police forces.

As for police cover-ups,  I think, to be fair,  we have to bear in mind that   decent, conscientious officers can too easily  be coerced into co-operating with cover-ups;  as was demonstrated by inquiries into the Hillsborough football disaster in England,  possibly the most extensive  Police cover-up to ever come to light. And it took 30 years to bring it to light. Thousands of wtnesses, including police officers  were coerced into altering their statements; and one police officer said he found out, by chance, that his own statement had been altered without his knowlege or consent (No knowing how extensive that was).   Increasinly huge nunbers of police became involved in the cover-up operation, not all of them willingly.  All because the officer in charge of crowd control that day couldn't face it coming to light that his own bad decisions were responsible for 96 people being killed. Worse, it would have been substantially fewer than 96 dead , if not for his immediate actions to cover his own butt once he grasped what was happening; all of  which served to interfere with rescue operations.

Nobody should have that much power. '

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 10:49:51 PM by Walkie »

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #232 on: June 11, 2020, 09:18:07 AM »

Imagine the cognitive dissonance for Al. How could he possibly choose which group he hates more, cops or BLM?

I have my limits and he can think of me what he wants. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #233 on: June 11, 2020, 12:02:42 PM »

I have my moments of hate and rage, but, I have to check myself at the door and get out of that state.  It's not a good condition to live in.  And it seems a lot of people are doing that these days.  Especially Al, but, that's his choice. 

Time to take my gibberish and go have a nice cup of tea and see if anything intelligent is on the boob tube.

Offline ALL LIVES MATTER

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #234 on: June 11, 2020, 01:08:31 PM »

I have my moments of hate and rage, but, I have to check myself at the door and get out of that state.  It's not a good condition to live in.  And it seems a lot of people are doing that these days.  Especially Al, but, that's his choice. 

Time to take my gibberish and go have a nice cup of tea and see if anything intelligent is on the boob tube.

This is a result of Feminism.
Men need to walk it off and blame the Patriarchy for causing this and also (whilst they are at it) consider themselves lucky to be the Patriarchal oppressors. Clearly a woman was really the victim here.
Yup, Feminism is cultural poison.

Offline ALL LIVES MATTER

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #235 on: June 11, 2020, 01:15:36 PM »

This is a result of Feminism.
Men need to walk it off and blame the Patriarchy for causing this and also (whilst they are at it) consider themselves lucky to be the Patriarchal oppressors. Clearly a woman was really the victim here.
Yup, Feminism is cultural poison.

Oh. And Eat shit Rock Hound.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #236 on: June 11, 2020, 01:43:19 PM »
HHHhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmm, misogyny, racism, white nationalism, just plain hatred.    :apondering: 

Offline ALL LIVES MATTER

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #237 on: June 11, 2020, 01:44:51 PM »
HHHhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmm, misogyny, racism, white nationalism, just plain hatred.    :apondering: 

Show me where I have done that and be very clear. Big claims demand big evidence.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #238 on: June 11, 2020, 02:02:22 PM »

Show me where I have done that and be very clear. Big claims demand big evidence.

Your posts here and elsewhere, your user name and your support of trumpolini are all the evidence I need.  Have a good life!

Offline ALL LIVES MATTER

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #239 on: June 11, 2020, 02:09:01 PM »

Your posts here and elsewhere, your user name and your support of trumpolini are all the evidence I need.  Have a good life!

You really don’t have much idea of what you are talking about and have decided to: capture a moment without context; scramble for what little context you can then base what can on the situation; then base a narrative around this; and lastly to promote said narrative warts and all.