Author Topic: I quit  (Read 5686 times)

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: I quit
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2020, 06:24:47 PM »
I'm both kinds of leftist. The type that believes in class struggle, and also the woke middle class type.

The left has lost the economic struggle (completely and utterly, the neoliberals have slaughtered the left and ploughed salt into the soil) and won the cultural struggle (to a large extent anyway).

Are you familiar with Thought Slime on YouTube? He did one episode "are liberals the enemy?" which expands on the theme of your last post.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 08:55:44 PM by Minister of silly walks »
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2020, 07:23:25 PM »

I apologies for rattling your cage Pyraxis.  It wasn't my intention.  Accept a heartfelt sorry from the Aces.  I stopped reading when the thread early as my give-a-toss-ometer had reached zero so missed the pushback.

My bad.  Those assholes make me ashamed to be part of the same species and sometimes I "tilt".

Can we start again?

Absolutely, I'm not holding any ill will. I kind of relished the opportunity for a new bit of heated discussion. So thanks for the provocation.  :2thumbsup:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2020, 08:54:35 PM »

@Walkie, your last post reminded me strongly of this.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2020, 09:03:41 PM »
Absolutely, I'm not holding any ill will. I kind of relished the opportunity for a new bit of heated discussion. So thanks for the provocation.  :2thumbsup:

This is the best thing about I^2, learning to disagree with passion and insults but not taking it personally when someone doesn't hold the same views as you do.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2020, 10:34:12 PM »
Anyway, what's up you old bastards (and gophers)?
Jack has been overly fixated on the organization of inside things, closets, cabinets, cupboards, refrigerators; if it has a door it seems I can't open it without adjusting something while in there, even though, and especially if, it's been recently organized. Have been working regular hours so it's not as if there's an abnormal amount of free time, but nervous energy needs an outlet so cleaning and organizing seems to be it. Just hoping the adjusting thing doesn't turn into some weird problem before things settle down. So that's what's up. Jack is being weirder than usual.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2020, 01:30:13 AM »
I'm bored silly but coping.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2020, 02:07:20 AM »
Al strikes me as a typical working class Aussie in many ways though...

There's an old joke that goes something like...

"Not every man you meet in Australia will be a drunk, racist wife-beater.  Some will be British."

But seriously, no I don't think he is typical and it's not just Ozzies that can play court jester to the American 8Chan clowns.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2020, 12:12:05 PM »
I certainly hope Al isn't an average working class Aussie.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2020, 10:52:06 PM »
I'm both kinds of leftist. The type that believes in class struggle, and also the woke middle class type.

The left has lost the economic struggle (completely and utterly, the neoliberals have slaughtered the left and ploughed salt into the soil) and won the cultural struggle (to a large extent anyway).

Damn! you added a caveat whilst i was marshalling my arguments. Unfair  :lol1: Were you reading my mind, perchance?

Ah well, i'm still gonna observe that  ""leftist" cultural arguments  dominate politics  to about the same degree  that the Roman Catholic Church did, a few centuries centuries back....and on more-or-less  the same portions of the globe, oddly enough.   No reason for complacency, IMO.

I should l also like to grumble that brotherly "love "" on that dodgy  basis is about as genuine, and about as effective as the old Catholic notions  of Christian love.  No wonder Al finds it odious. 'That's not to say that all of these people are insincere,  mind, just that you can't effectively love what you're not connecting with. Love just doesn't work that way. You just end up up falling in love with your own half-assed ideas about people, not the people themselves. If you've ever been the target of an unrequited obsession, then you'll know  just how painful that be, on a personal level.   Multiply by several billion.

Are you familiar with Thought Slime on YouTube? He did one episode "are liberals the enemy?" which expands on the theme of your last post.]Are you familiar with Thought Slime on YouTube? He did one episode "are liberals the enemy?" which expands on the theme of your last post.
I wasn't, but followed your link and watched it right through.  Agreed with him right through as well  :2thumbsup:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:58:46 PM by Walkie »

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2020, 06:23:25 AM »
Thought Slime is excellent. A great introduction to genuine Leftism. Another really good youtube dude is Philosophy Tube.

I found both while I was going through a phase of really despising Jordan Peterson. Since then it has settled down to a general sense of loathing, and amazement at his success. Both have done excellent, and scathing, and funny, reviews of Mr Peterson.

It's a sad reflection on modern thought among the masses that these guys have only a tiny fraction of the following of various rightist dimwits.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2020, 03:21:17 PM »
It is too early to say how well Sweden's strategy went, countries that went into full lockdown have to open up their economies eventually, so let's see how that goes.

I can't see herd immunity working, you can get reiinfected with the virus and any immunity will be short term. Like a year or 2. So you could reach herd immunity at huge cost and then 2 years later, bang, you're back to square 1.

Brazil is going to have some awful stats over coming months. Other countries will also be hit very hard.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2020, 03:24:58 PM »
 :pwned:
I certainly hope Al isn't an average working class Aussie.

Ah, yeah, he's not. I would be swimming to NZ if everyone was that opiniated and anal retentive.

I meant in terms of how he understands the issues and politics and economics etc. His lack of insight and knowledge makes him vulnerable to a slew of right wing propaganda.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 03:26:52 PM by Minister of silly walks »

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2020, 03:53:21 PM »
It is too early to say how well Sweden's strategy went, countries that went into full lockdown have to open up their economies eventually, so let's see how that goes.

I can't see herd immunity working, you can get reiinfected with the virus and any immunity will be short term. Like a year or 2. So you could reach herd immunity at huge cost and then 2 years later, bang, you're back to square 1.

Brazil is going to have some awful stats over coming months. Other countries will also be hit very hard.
The virus also keeps mutating. I can't remember which article I read (although it was from a credible source) but it has mutated in a way that makes it more contagious than it was previously.

Ontario (Canada) has started Phase 1 of a three step plan to re-open the economy. They opened up parks so people could get outside but stressed social distancing. Apparently the 10k people in Trinity Bellwoods Park in Toronto didn't get the memo. People were packed in there. So now we have a spike from Mothers Day and since last weekend was a holiday weekend, we'll have another spike in about a week. People are exhausted and they're choosing not to follow the guidelines now. We'll be fucked before the fall hits.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2020, 04:10:21 PM »
We need a good vaccine. Not like the flu vaccine which is about 40% effective in a good year. Or we need a very effective treatment. The alternatives don't bear thinking about. None of us can afford further lockdowns either.