Educational

Author Topic: You know what I don't get?  (Read 6793 times)

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
Re: You know what I don't get?
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2018, 09:17:07 PM »
The closest that came to that for me was the unwillingness to seriously
undertake running the site democratically, with appropriate checks - because I 'knew' too much
about what goes wrong in such cases. In some ways though, that was still a matter of play or experimentation,
with a curiosity as to just how far people would denigrate stated ideals - at least as it played out.
The shitty part (for me) was the <rodent hole> it generated towards me.

You generated most of that all by yourself. :wanker:

Yes...but that couldn't have happened amongst a group of people who allowed their
feelings about someone to differ from their feelings about their views.

It was something of a microcosm of the way political ideology has become so fucking toxic.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2018, 09:27:34 PM »
undertake running the site democratically, with appropriate checks - because I 'knew' too much
about what goes wrong in such cases. In some ways though, that was still a matter of play or experimentation,
with a curiosity as to just how far people would denigrate stated ideals - at least as it played out.

Yes...but that couldn't have happened amongst a group of people who allowed their

It was something of a microcosm of the way political ideology has become so fucking toxic.

You do know that it is exceedingly rare among humans to be able to view ideology and personal feelings completely separately.

That is why we have those social conventions around not discussing politics or religion. Because people in meatspace get butthurt when you disagree with them and make a strong, logical, and fact based case for why your views are superior to theirs. Similar to what happens online.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2018, 11:49:53 PM »

You do know that it is exceedingly rare among humans to be able to view ideology and personal feelings completely separately.

Yeah. I guess I thought it a more NT thing.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2018, 12:37:15 AM »

An NT thing to be able to view ideology and personal feelings completely separately?

Or an NT thing to conflate the two?

TBH I think it's a human thing.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2018, 12:42:08 AM »

You're both full of shit. How else could you possibly excel at chess? Which I would guess you both do.

What is at play is simple acumen, perception, acute awareness of "The Next Possible Move," anticipation and patience. Fucking cats do this.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2018, 01:11:32 AM »

You're both full of shit. How else could you possibly excel at chess? Which I would guess you both do.

What is at play is simple acumen, perception, acute awareness of "The Next Possible Move," anticipation and patience. Fucking cats do this.

You've lost me dude!

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2018, 01:36:59 AM »

I understand.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2018, 04:22:06 AM »

I understand.

LOL. I'm glad that one of us does.

I was actually discussing with Cal how people get emotionally invested in their political and ideological views and take it as a personal insult (and get butthurt) when someone disagrees with them.

Strategic approaches to these battles of wits is another matter. Sizing up your opponent and figuring out the best way to handle them is, I think, what your tangent is about.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2018, 11:53:26 AM »

An NT thing to be able to view ideology and personal feelings completely separately?

Or an NT thing to conflate the two?

TBH I think it's a human thing.

The latter. And it was based upon experience of those I got along well with, IRL, who often exhibited spectrum related behavior.

But yeah, my experience on AS sites makes it clear that that's not my only filter - nor maybe even my most important one.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2018, 11:54:58 AM »

I suck at chess. I like Go, but am pretty lousy at that too.

What I DON'T do is flip the board when I'm losing, nor lose friendships over a game of Diplomacy,
which I think is more applicable.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2018, 02:18:30 PM »

No, it was about a single person's ideology becoming toxic.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2018, 02:19:51 PM »
Incidentally, I was pretty damn good at chess.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2018, 04:00:58 PM »

No, it was about a single person's ideology becoming toxic.

FFS, 10 years later and odeot STILL doesn't understand what went wrong with the WC.   ::)

All that Cal did was expose the weakness of an unstructured direct democracy.

I saw what Cal was doing and that inspired me to propose a constitutional structure to constrain his spamming of things to vote on (and their unintended consequences). I got pilloried for offering up an effective solution.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2018, 06:37:11 PM »
You don't really think people can learn, do you?

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2018, 06:47:10 PM »
They must be willing to learn, so in odeot's case, no.   :M