Educational

Author Topic: You know what I don't get?  (Read 6831 times)

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: You know what I don't get?
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2018, 06:59:02 PM »

You do know that it is exceedingly rare among humans to be able to view ideology and personal feelings completely separately.

Yeah. I guess I thought it a more NT thing.

An NT thing to be able to view ideology and personal feelings completely separately?

Or an NT thing to conflate the two?

TBH I think it's a human thing.

The latter. And it was based upon experience of those I got along well with, IRL, who often exhibited spectrum related behavior.

But yeah, my experience on AS sites makes it clear that that's not my only filter - nor maybe even my most important one.

I see some who are apparently on the spectrum who argue/waffle like politicians. No direct answers to anything, nothing concrete and nothing that can be validated or debunked. Or they will say "this is what I believe" and post a link to a youtube video of a shouty or highly opinionated person.

With some people it becomes very obvious very quickly that they are stuck on a particular viewpoint and use, at best, motivated reasoning to back it up. All you can do is to present sensible viewpoints and hope that someone else might read the conversation and see the value in your point of view. Or, if you want to have some fun, you can just toy with them and try to make their heads explode.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2018, 09:10:52 PM »
'waffling' is an interesting issue to bring up in this context. Seems the exact opposite
of the kind of ideological association with all things. Going along with whatever voice
touches them last. It's the defect of the other extreme. I find it more understandable,
because the association of strong ideals with incivility, and the desire to be liked.
But, such folk, when faced with bullying of those with different beliefs can judge
that the group will despise them if they don't join the bullying. Leads to particularly
ugliness - two-faced behavior - which I despise more than animosity born of ideology.

I can see some ideological stances (say Hitler's) rendering someone so odious that it is
difficult to like them no matter what. I don't think I can be accused of killing any Jews,
starting a world war, nor even liking children or dogs much (at least in a non-perverted manner).

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:13:51 PM by Calandale »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2018, 08:35:04 AM »
The closest that came to that for me was the unwillingness to seriously
undertake running the site democratically, with appropriate checks - because I 'knew' too much
about what goes wrong in such cases. In some ways though, that was still a matter of play or experimentation,
with a curiosity as to just how far people would denigrate stated ideals - at least as it played out.
The shitty part (for me) was the <rodent hole> it generated towards me.

You generated most of that all by yourself. :wanker:

Yes...but that couldn't have happened amongst a group of people who allowed their
feelings about someone to differ from their feelings about their views.

It was something of a microcosm of the way political ideology has become so fucking toxic.

No, it was about a single person's ideology becoming toxic.

FFS, 10 years later and odeot STILL doesn't understand what went wrong with the WC.   ::)

All that Cal did was expose the weakness of an unstructured direct democracy.

I saw what Cal was doing and that inspired me to propose a constitutional structure to constrain his spamming of things to vote on (and their unintended consequences). I got pilloried for offering up an effective solution.

10 years later and you're still a moron.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2018, 09:12:30 AM »
undertake running the site democratically, with appropriate checks - because I 'knew' too much
about what goes wrong in such cases. In some ways though, that was still a matter of play or experimentation,
with a curiosity as to just how far people would denigrate stated ideals - at least as it played out.

Yes...but that couldn't have happened amongst a group of people who allowed their

It was something of a microcosm of the way political ideology has become so fucking toxic.

FFS, 10 years later and odeot STILL doesn't understand what went wrong with the WC.   ::)

I saw what Cal was doing and that inspired me to propose a constitutional structure to constrain his spamming of things to vote on (and their unintended consequences). I got pilloried for offering up an effective solution.

Hey...thanks for an example.  :autism:

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2018, 06:33:06 PM »

:lolhit:

:thumbup:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2018, 07:00:06 PM »
Why do I still get gmails from WP or WC or whatever they call themselves??  Haven't been there  in nearly a decade and I have no interest in what plankton/plankenstein has to say.  Amber wants nothing to do with them and neither do I.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2018, 07:37:57 PM »
I just got one too though I was banned about a billion times from there. It reminded me of that place. I may have to visit again.They obviously value my opinions to engage me.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2018, 08:07:51 PM »
Once your a member, your always a member of wp.  And I'm sure every spambot that joined up is still a member.  They do not delete accounts at wp.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2018, 09:39:29 PM »
When I had my account renewed after I was banned, I found that all my PMs had been deleted. This sucks because I wanted to see mine and Kayleigh's earliest interactions because I can't remember them (ECT). I'll never see them now.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2018, 11:56:00 PM »
Wow. About the only reason I'd want to get back on my account is to look over some of the PMs.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2018, 09:11:06 AM »

I would have thought Scrap was obvious enough.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2018, 01:23:12 PM »
Actually, Scrap's not too bad at it. You're only first runner-up though. At least with what's left here.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2018, 02:20:22 PM »
Actually, Scrap's not too bad at it. You're only first runner-up though. At least with what's left here.

Everyone is an idiot, in the mind of someone else.  :wanker:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2018, 11:23:10 AM »
Captain Obvious to the rescue.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2018, 11:33:25 AM »
I've been trying so hard not to post this answer.  Please forgive me.

Lots of sex?
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv: