Start here > Free For ALL

Jesus.....how are you still sober?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Al Swearegen:

--- Quote from: Minister of silly walks on December 17, 2017, 04:23:28 AM ---If you are known for using a sensible number of words in sentences that people are easily able to determine the meaning of, and you start using enormous numbers of words in incomprehensible combinations, then people may be inclined to blame it on the alcohol.

If you happen to start from the latter position and revert to the former, then I'm not sure whether people would blame the alcohol. If you happen to start from the latter position and continue with the latter position after a couple of dozen alcoholic beverages, I can't see why there would be a problem.

The drinking culture in the typical modern workplace has changed enormously over the past 2 or 3 decades. Where I work we get emails before any event where alcohol may be consumed telling us that if we feel affected by alcohol then we should approach a designated person who will look after us. A friend of mine ended up in hospital after a work Xmas function about 25 years ago where he drank so much that he ended up with a blood alcohol content above 0.4%, and he was told that if his heart had stopped beating they wouldn't have been legally required to try to revive him (which, TBH, they likely said only to scare him).

--- End quote ---

The guy in question even before the work do, had one of the ladies at work tell him he talks a lot of shit when he drinks, which he willingly owned. Me? I have a bit of a laugh and share and listen to anecdotes and have fun. My sense of humour comes to the fore and people around me have fun. Sloppy and maudlin drunk I am not, nor aggro.

Al Swearegen:

--- Quote from: odeon on December 17, 2017, 02:24:03 AM ---I'd say it depends. A couple of drinks with work mates can be perfectly acceptable if your employer has that kind of culture and nothing bad happens--drinking too many and owning it the day after is fine and a source of more than a few sympathetic laughs in those cases--but if the night out results in bad things, that same culture might turn on you.

Some backstabbing environments will turn on you anyway, of course. The ones I have experience of were places where I avoided the drinks to begin with.

Guessing the acceptable number of drinks will differ from one place to the other and also depend on the country. The UK differs from Sweden that differs from Finland, etc.

I worked at a small company a couple of years ago where our boss--the company CEO--would organise drinks every few months and effectively set the pace. It was great fun. As we were a small and tight-knit group, we did this for years and continued to do this regularly even after most of us, including our boss, had left the company.

--- End quote ---

I think to be honest, and I am going to sound a bit spazzy but I find it a bit difficult to gauge these kind of things. There was a lot of talk that we were all going to have drinks and it was embraced with enthusiasm. We were going to have drinks beforehand and a portion of our social club would pay for the meal with the balance going towards Sake and champagne. Most drank something.

So my understanding was it was big drinking thing and a send off for the year. That is why I was thrown a little by the gossiping afterwards and felt a little singled out by people having obviously observed the amount of drinks I threw down my throat and how sober I appeared. It seemed to run counter to the whole point of thing and once again I feel a bit without a point of context. I honestly do not know if that will be mentioned tomorrow and if so in what way or whether it will simply be, "What time did you get home?" kind of thing.

Don't get social rules or people. I also dislike being confused and having no point of reference. I am not so good at winging such things.

Pyraxis:
Could it have been a compliment? Like maybe you earned yourself a reputation for being able to hold liquor, and as long as you acknowledge that's now part of people's impression of you, it'll be fine next time around?

Al Swearegen:

--- Quote from: Pyraxis on December 17, 2017, 12:10:52 PM ---Could it have been a compliment? Like maybe you earned yourself a reputation for being able to hold liquor, and as long as you acknowledge that's now part of people's impression of you, it'll be fine next time around?

--- End quote ---

Had not thought of that. I will find out in a couple of hours I guess. It would be so much easier if people all thought what I think.

Pyraxis:

--- Quote from: Al Swearengen on December 17, 2017, 02:19:46 PM --- It would be so much easier if people all thought what I think.

--- End quote ---

:lol1:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version