Educational

Author Topic: My Crime  (Read 514 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
My Crime
« on: February 21, 2017, 10:13:31 PM »
My crime is a lack of knowledge about this:

I want to listen to CDs.  But I don't want to use earbuds/earphones.  If I buy one of those round CD players can I plug a set of speakers in so that I can hear them without being tethered to my ears?

Yeah, I know CDs and CD players are sooooooooooooo old school.  But I don't want to invest in anything that stores songs on it that I would lose when it breaks.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: My Crime
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 06:27:11 AM »
My crime is a lack of knowledge about this:

I want to listen to CDs.  But I don't want to use earbuds/earphones.  If I buy one of those round CD players can I plug a set of speakers in so that I can hear them without being tethered to my ears?

Yeah, I know CDs and CD players are sooooooooooooo old school.  But I don't want to invest in anything that stores songs on it that I would lose when it breaks.
The problem is that, unlike earbuds and headphones, speakers require a kind of "power amplifier" to work.

If you already have an amplifier and some speakers where you can already listen to other music, you can plug a cable from the earphone jack to the input plug on almost any amplifier system.
You would need a cable that looks like the plug end of an earphone on one end and what ever it takes to plug in to your existing sound system on the other - often it is the same.
It is called an "Auxiliary Cable" most often or if your amplifier does not have a small earphone plug you will need to get what ever type of cable will adapt the two so they can work together.

Another idea - Do you already own a DVD or Blu-ray player to play movies. If you plan to listen at home and have no need for the little round Portable player, then just use the DVD player for CDs. Many of them actually sound better than a CD player, until you get into the elite (very expensive) CD players.

Continuing with you original question, many smallish speakers are available which are considered portable (battery operated and will need to be recharged often) that have amplifiers built in and it is a simple "Aux cable" between the two that gets you going.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 06:31:15 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 12:07:16 PM »
I like your another idea.  One thing with 2 uses.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 12:05:00 PM »
I like your another idea.  One thing with 2 uses.

Which one thing?

I offered a number of options, but was trying to make it seem "layperson doable."

There are so many ways to do what you asked about, but I would need a great deal more info as to how you expect to use this equipment to further advise.
I am willing to help in any way that I can.

Are you expecting to carry it with you camping or hiking - use a portable battery operated speaker system.
Do you have a home sound system - something that already plays music or movies - just get the right cable or forget it and just put the CDs in the existing player.
What will be your source?

BTW, anything that can play any disc format will also play CDs. Any DVD player will play both CDs AND DVDs. Any Blu-ray player will play any Blu-ray, any DVD AND any CD.

Hope this makes sense.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 12:07:05 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 02:38:26 PM »
Thank you DirtDawg.  I am not an active person, will listen while reading, thinking about housework, etc.  Using a DVD type player is ideal for me.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 03:52:42 PM »

I like the fact that you noted "thinking" about housework.

If I got credit for "thinking"  about all the house work I COULD be doing while enjoying my music I would be like the husband of the century.
 :tard:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 04:10:10 PM »
I do not know if I was clear before.

Any "newer technology" players (or hardware) will play older tech software (discs), but the reverse is not so. CDs came first, so those players can only play CDs.
DVDs came next, but they can play both CDs and DVDs, but not Blu-ray. 
Later came Blu-ray and those players can play any of the previous formats, same with the 4K UHD players (most current high definition format, mostly for movies at this time) can play any discs.

3D is a different world, though. Those specific 3D discs have to be played on a 3D player and watched on a 3D TV, using 3D glasses specific to the brand of TV you are watching, BUT most 4K players can play them in 3D. You still need the glasses for your specific TV, though.
Not a big 3D fan, me. I tend to get a headache after about three minutes of watching.

4K is similar. You would need a 4K player, a 4K disc and a 4K TV to watch in 4K. Kind of an expensive proposition to get started.

Hope that is not too much of a  :poo:

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 06:40:39 PM »

Any "newer technology" players (or hardware) will play older tech software (discs), but the reverse is not so. CDs came first, so those players can only play CDs.
Later came Blu-ray and those players can play any of the previous formats, same with the 4K UHD players (most current high definition format, mostly for movies at this time) can play any discs.

3D is a different world, though. Those specific 3D discs have to be played on a 3D player and watched on a 3D TV, using 3D glasses specific to the brand of TV you are watching, BUT most 4K players can play them in 3D. You still need the glasses for your specific TV, though.
Not a big 3D fan, me. I tend to get a headache after about three minutes of watching.

4K is similar. You would need a 4K player, a 4K disc and a 4K TV to watch in 4K. Kind of an expensive proposition to get started.

My mind is boggling at 3D.  I just found out I can record shows off the TV.  And that Youtube has some movies.  No, I am NOT joking.  I'm not a Luddite, just behind the times.

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 02:54:16 PM »

My mind is boggling at 3D.  I just found out I can record shows off the TV.  And that Youtube has some movies.  No, I am NOT joking.  I'm not a Luddite, just behind the times.

Is that a sect of the Mennonite order?

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 05:19:06 PM »
Luddite = : one of a group of early 19th century English workmen destroying laborsaving machinery as a protest; broadly : one who is opposed to especially technological change The Luddite argued that automation destroys jobs.

All this fancy automation has put court painters and musicians out of work.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 06:46:18 PM »

Me neither. The glasses make my eyes go funny. When I watched a friend's 3D TV, I put on a pair of powered glasses that flickered the whole time. I really don't get the big deal about 3D film. The picture quality is poor too, I would even say it's more impressive in 2D because you get the detail.
:dog:

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 06:51:04 PM »
But I don't want to invest in anything that stores songs on it that I would lose when it breaks.

I feel the same way about CDs and DVDs. I like loading them into the machines too, nothing beats that. Nothing beats the sound of my old *old* Compaq laptop booting up either. My CD Discman (CD version of a Walkman [portable cassette player]) which was bought for me when I was 8 - still works. It's over 20 years old.
:dog:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 09:20:42 PM »
Surprisingly enough, 3D doesn't bother me.  In fact I splurged on 3D IMAX tickets for opening night of Beauty and the Beast for The PR and me.  She's been looking forward to seeing the movie for over a year.