Educational

Author Topic: baltimore (and everywhere else)  (Read 5250 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: baltimore (and everywhere else)
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2015, 11:35:30 AM »
Could Jack/Gary use paragraphs? It is easier to read then. Thanks. :)
No.
TL;DR then.
It would have been equally long with paragraphs. Not going to change the way I write for you. If that means it doesn't get read because I'm not willing to present it the way you want to look at it, then okay with that.

Writing styles are unique to individuals and can't imagine anyone changing their own writing voice to please other people. It's weird anyone would suggest you do that. Have probably been critical at some point of others writing, but would be irritated if they actually changed it because of that.

Go back to being your true self, Jack. It's not your job to be a conversationalist. It's not really your writing style, it's our writing style, and you persona is likable because you don't have much to say.  :hahaha:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 12:20:53 PM by Gopher Gary »
:gopher:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2015, 02:50:59 PM »
No.
TL;DR then.
It would have been equally long with paragraphs. Not going to change the way I write for you. If that means it doesn't get read because I'm not willing to present it the way you want to look at it, then okay with that.

Writing styles are unique to individuals and can't imagine anyone changing their own writing voice to please other people. It's weird anyone would suggest you do that. Have probably been critical at some point of others writing, but would be irritated if they actually changed it because of that.

Which is fine, but my eyesight makes reading paragraphs like that very hard, so I tend to avoid them. It's a shame because it means I sometimes miss out on things.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #122 on: May 26, 2015, 03:59:25 PM »
No.
TL;DR then.

Which is fine, but my eyesight makes reading paragraphs like that very hard, so I tend to avoid them. It's a shame because it means I sometimes miss out on things.

Brings back memories. An exam about German book with hardly any proper paragraphs. And sentences that ran 13 rules long with that too.
I had to structure every page with massive pencil linings to make it clear to me where to pauze and how the lines were running.
One of the horror exams. (That I had not taken German in the last three years at secondary school was not helping either)
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2015, 05:33:46 PM »
It's not often am inspired to talk this much. You should thank him.
:M

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2015, 02:22:59 AM »
No.
TL;DR then.

Same for me. I think my eyesight has something to do with it as well. I will just have to miss out.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2015, 02:52:28 AM »
No.
TL;DR then.

Same for me. I think my eyesight has something to do with it as well. I will just have to miss out.
Not sure if it's my eyesight but a block of text like that won't process for me. The weird thing is that I used to write like that. I changed it partly because I couldn't read what I wrote but also because others couldn't either. I don't think paragraph breaks have much to do with style for me. Mine is in the meaning of the words. Patterns do emerge but they tend to be things like repeated phrases lined up with each other. Not on purpose.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 02:58:21 AM by WolFish »
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2015, 04:18:01 PM »
Paragraphs are generally five character indents, not double spacing of lines breaking text into small chunks with gaps between. Not certain how people manage reading much of anything. 

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2015, 04:23:35 PM »
I don't think paragraph breaks have much to do with style for me. Mine is in the meaning of the words. Patterns do emerge but they tend to be things like repeated phrases lined up with each other. Not on purpose.
Lots of things come across as personal style to me. Can sometimes see a person in their writing without even reading the words. Habits in the use of the return and space keys are certainly among that.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2015, 11:11:27 PM »
Paragraphs are generally five character indents, not double spacing of lines breaking text into small chunks with gaps between. Not certain how people manage reading much of anything.

When swimming under water (no diving gear), resurfacing every now and then to take a deep breath is comfortable. Makes reaching the other side of the lake a lot easier.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2015, 04:02:37 PM »
Probably wont be a common problem; Piper is right.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2015, 04:09:49 PM »
Got taught that paragraphing is as important as punctuation. Most of the time sentences are readable and understandable without punctuation. But, sometimes the meaning becomes obscure without.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2015, 04:56:07 PM »
Will have to remember that when submitting my next assignment. :laugh:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2015, 11:16:58 AM »
Got taught that paragraphing is as important as punctuation. Most of the time sentences are readable and understandable without punctuation. But, sometimes the meaning becomes obscure without.

Itisjustasimportantasthespacesbetweenthewordsinasentence.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #133 on: May 29, 2015, 11:44:24 AM »

Itisjustasimportantasthespacesbetweenthewordsinasentence.

THEANCIENTGREEKDIDNOTUSETHATTHEYWROTEINCAPITALSALLTHETIMETOO.MAKESONELONGBACKFORTHEGOODOLDDAYSISNTIT?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #134 on: May 29, 2015, 12:26:56 PM »
:GA:

- Albert Einstein