Educational

Author Topic: baltimore (and everywhere else)  (Read 5328 times)

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
Re: baltimore (and everywhere else)
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2015, 04:22:39 AM »
I vote that Hyke be moderator for everything.
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2015, 04:42:31 AM »
I'd rather not.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2015, 05:25:06 PM »
@ Jack,

I think segregation is part of human nature. People somehow cuddle together in their own group, that they perceive as best. It gets worse when fear of the other groups gets stronger. And worse when some of the groups has more power than the other groups, also about those other groups.

Your way out of the racism thoughts in your head was a personal one. Telling nothing about what sociologically is a reality. But it did liberate you in your head. It gave you personal freedom. I will not dispute that, nor make that smaller than it is. It is a great thing to have.

It does not take away the reality of there being lots of people targeted as second class citizens; because of race, origin, history, social layer, religion or what ever.
When SG wrote about a neighbourhood being taken over, it made me think about modern neighbourhood improvement programs. Put in creative students in a neighbourhood with a bad name. Let them do some community work in exchange for lower rents. Get some fashionable restaurants in that neighbourhood. And other people will come in. The bad vibe of the area will disappear. And things will get better. So far, so good. But then the area grades up, becomes a place people want to live, because it is trendy, rents and the prices of houses go up, more expensive shops come in. And it becomes unaffordable to live in for a lot of the original inhabitants. And they have to move. Not only losing their house, but also the social setting they lived in, so, losing their social network.

Wolfie and SG tell things from their lives that show a social injustice. You show a psychological liberation. That is not a liberation on a sociological level, but it has freed you and given you space to be who you are. What I read from Wolfie and SG, they have a similar psychological freedom, but they are very aware of the social setting they live in and are determined by in their daily life too. And it is something that needs to be targeted and needs to be seen. Segregation will happen. People are different and will flock together in groups they feel secure in. But it should not come with such stigmatisation nor such differences in power.
Of course segregation is a natural thing, but it leaves no place for people like me. Have actually pushed SG to have to nerve to tell me I don't get it because I'm not black, and especially because I'm not a black male. Not sure why he wont put me in my place that way. Sure, SG and wolfish can tell me I don't know the stigma of the black man, and they would be correct. I also have an interesting perspective, because I know all races are as collective and excluding as whites. Black males may have it the worst, but they also have a group in society that actually accepts them. Non whites easily paint a picture of whites as the end all be all of the problem, but I think they're the more accommodating. Maybe it's because whites terrified of being labeled as racist, or maybe it's okay for everyone except for white people to be racist. I don't know, but certainly don't mean to imply I'm trying to deny SG or Wolfish the right to be upset.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2015, 02:02:03 AM »
Segregation happens for all kinds of reasons, not only because of colour. Till in the sixties/seventies last century denominations were the great divide here in my country. With plenty of drama. The joke was that even goat breeding needed to happen in denominational determined committees. It was damn strict, and lots of interdenominational marriages came with shunning and never talking to kids or parents again.

Not fitting in in one of the groups is probably the fate of the spazz. I2 may be the only segregated group I fit in.

The problem is not the clustering in groups, most people do need a wider social network to thrive in. The problem is when groups become cages. Either cages where people don't dare coming out of, or cages where people are put in by others. When the fear factor becomes an issue, things get nasty.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2015, 05:10:11 AM »
Could Jack/Gary use paragraphs? It is easier to read then. Thanks. :)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2015, 10:37:03 AM »
Could Jack/Gary use paragraphs? It is easier to read then. Thanks. :)
No.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2015, 07:21:07 PM »
Segregation happens for all kinds of reasons, not only because of colour. Till in the sixties/seventies last century denominations were the great divide here in my country. With plenty of drama. The joke was that even goat breeding needed to happen in denominational determined committees. It was damn strict, and lots of interdenominational marriages came with shunning and never talking to kids or parents again.

Not fitting in in one of the groups is probably the fate of the spazz. I2 may be the only segregated group I fit in.

The problem is not the clustering in groups, most people do need a wider social network to thrive in. The problem is when groups become cages. Either cages where people don't dare coming out of, or cages where people are put in by others. When the fear factor becomes an issue, things get nasty.
Groups as cages is an interesting analogy. Tend to view them as cages people choose for themselves to lock others out.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2015, 01:22:00 AM »
I don't know what to say, Wolfish. People are cunts, generally speaking, but apparently more so in some places than in others.
True, but even in those places there are little havens like the clinic where the receptionist genuinely liked me, and the seventh day adventist store that had all manner of people working there. No one ever followed me and the only people who approached me did so when I was clearly wandering up and down aisles looking for something. I went there on a regular basis, as much for solace as for some of the best supplements I've found anywhere.
Health, the natural way, is almost part of doctrine of the SDA. May be worth finding out if Montreal has an SDA shop too.
That's a great idea. Makes me wonder if the folks who run the health food store are closer adherents to their religion. I am not familiar with their ideology, just have heard enough to know that mine doesn't mesh with theirs.
Nonetheless they were good people and it would be nice to find them. It's predominantly catholic in most areas with one seriously jewish neighborhood.

edit: I'm having a dropping day.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 01:24:11 AM by WolFish »
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2015, 01:25:42 AM »
I vote that Hyke be moderator for everything.
I agree.

Hyke for president of the universe (and everything else)!
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2015, 10:57:48 AM »
I'll second that.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2015, 07:11:24 PM »
If Hyke posts her n00dz, I'll third that.  :eyelash:
:gopher:

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2015, 08:57:49 PM »
Nationalize currency, end dual citizenship. Outlaw super pacs.

Nationalise currency? Isn't it already nationalised?  :tard:

I'm afraid not, my friend. Our central banking system is privately owned, and money printed is lent to our government at interest. Its just as stupid as it sounds.

Nationalize currency, end dual citizenship. Outlaw super pacs.

What??

What the hell is a super pac?

Different than a pac (political action committee) in that unlimited donations and spending are allowed and they recognize corporate ventures as "individuals". Money is speech, as it were. Using this tool, wealthier collectives can "build" the elections they desire.

https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/superpacs.php

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 08:59:33 PM by RageBeoulve »
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2015, 12:09:46 PM »
If Hyke posts her n00dz, I'll third that.  :eyelash:

But if I take off my tight leather onesie, you'll throw me on the BBQ.  :GA: :voodoo:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2015, 12:35:25 PM »
Wrong smiley. WRONG SMILEY!!! :GA:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2015, 12:50:01 PM »
Am I in the clear now, when it comes to becoming world leader?  :hyke: