Politics, Mature and taboo > Political Pundits

Will There Be A War?

(1/16) > >>

odeon:
Tensions mount as Putin seeks to expand his empire while claiming he's only out to protect Russians. Your thoughts?

odeon:
My immediate reaction when hearing that "Crimea used to be part of Russia until 1954, you know" was that Russia should give back Karelia to Finland.

bodie:
Will there be a war?   :dunno:

This is what happens when land, or cities, in this case 'Crimea' are tossed around as gifts.   Crimea was given to Ukraine by Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev, who was himself half-Ukrainian.  It may have been a gift, but like many other gifts, the giver still feels some sense of ownership.  Fingers still in pies, so to speak.

Putin is an 'action' man.  I think his action in this case was not very well thought out.  People are comparing him to 'Hitler' and that is just nonsense.  I don't think Putin is planning to invade anywhere else.  He is a dangerous man, as I said already 'an action man' but he is no Hitler. ( He is a danger to himself if anything - in danger of collapsing and suffocating under the weight of his own ego maybe :zoinks:  )

I think this new, interim government in Ukraine either need to go or need to drastically rethink it's position regarding Russia.  One of its first actions was to repeal a 2012 law recognising Russian as an official regional language.   -  not a very clever move!  Why provoke Russia like this?

Sure, Putin has overreacted.  Apparently, during the 'disturbances' many of the Russian population of Ukraine have been chanting "Putin come".  Putin says he is protecting 'human rights' of his people in Ukraine,  which is interesting, cus, you know Russia is 'big' on human rights ::)

I don't think war is inevitable.  I think diplomacy could win.  Send for the world's top negotiators  - alas,   Nelson Mandela can't help in this one!

Kapkao:
my thoughts are that Putin is trying to reclaim Russia's old glory under the Soviet Union.

Queen Victoria:
The Crimean War, Part 2

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version