Politics, Mature and taboo > Political Pundits

Will There Be A War?

<< < (2/16) > >>

odeon:

--- Quote from: Kapkao on March 04, 2014, 04:12:57 PM ---my thoughts are that Putin is trying to reclaim Russia's old glory under the Soviet Union.

--- End quote ---

That's what I think, too. He'd certainly want to go back.

I'm not sure if he is stupid enough for a war. I hope he isn't.

DirtDawg:

--- Quote from: odeon on March 04, 2014, 10:47:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: Kapkao on March 04, 2014, 04:12:57 PM ---my thoughts are that Putin is trying to reclaim Russia's old glory under the Soviet Union.

--- End quote ---

That's what I think, too. He'd certainly want to go back.

I'm not sure if he is stupid enough for a war. I hope he isn't.

--- End quote ---

I also hope he isn't!!

My country would have to become involved. Two war fronts is enough for anyone. No one should have to fight on three fronts.

As selfish as that sounds, I feel for those people who have spent two decades (or a century!) or more trying to find freedom from outside rule!

ZEGH8578:

--- Quote from: odeon on March 04, 2014, 12:24:06 AM ---My immediate reaction when hearing that "Crimea used to be part of Russia until 1954, you know" was that Russia should give back Karelia to Finland.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, me too. These kinds of politics, well, they cannot be honest, if you think about it. How many good, honest reasons can you think of, for one country to roll into another, and start uprooting the place?
So it's obvious any justification is gonna be a bunch of hypocritical bullshit.

For Russia to make a move on the EU or Nato would be incredibly unwise, so that would be an enormous surprise. For geopolitical analysts, their invasion of Crimea is not that huge a surprise, it is a spot waiting to flare up, like Abkhazia and Ossetia was.
Another possible flashpoint can be, for example Belarus, who has "promised" a unification with Russia. If Belarus were to back out of this, and seek closer ties to Europe, one could see similar events unfolding there, but Crimea stands out because it wasn't always a part of the Ukrainian SSR (or ever), Crimea has a long history of being it's own Soviet Republic. This sets some precedents, people remember, and for example, Caucasus used to enjoy its own autonomy as a separate Soviet Republic for a short while. They have never forgotten this. As soon as the Soviet Union broke down, the Caucasus republics, most notably Chechnya, wanted to join all the other new nations into independence. They even achieved independence during Yeltsins useless rule, and for a while the "Ichkerian Republic of Chechnya" existed as a de facto independent nation, untill - - - Putin, rolled his army into Grozny, and litterally levelled the city to gravel, in one of the most extensive city destructions in post WW2 times.

If you ask a Russian, Crimea "Is Russian" and Ukrainian ownership is nothing but a lucky fluke for the Ukrainians. If you ask a Ukrainian, theyll tell you Crimea is Ukrainian, and ask a Crimean, they'll refer to the independence Crimea has often had in the past - and tell you Crimea is a country of it's own (It has been autonomous under Ukraine since the fall of Soviet)

RageBeoulve:
Short answer, yes. The U.S. is basically a war machine and it has been too long since it has manufactured/started one. The entire "leader of the free world" economy is BASED on war. Thems the breaks.

:(

ZEGH8578:

--- Quote from: RageBeoulve on March 05, 2014, 08:51:27 AM ---Short answer, yes. The U.S. is basically a war machine and it has been too long since it has manufactured/started one. The entire "leader of the free world" economy is BASED on war. Thems the breaks.

:(

--- End quote ---

Nobody needs a huge clash-of-the-titans kind of war. Otherwise USA, Russia, China, India, heck even Brazil and Mexico would be smoldering holes by now.

The wars you mean are the easy containable wars. Wars you can guarantee to win. Like USA vs Grenada. USA vs Panama. Pathetic shit like that. Russia vs Georgia.

Every now and then they surprise themselves, with the Taliban or Viet Cong "Come on you guys, ur supposed to lose D:"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version