Educational

Author Topic: Coffee thread.  (Read 18659 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: Coffee thread.
« Reply #975 on: May 09, 2016, 10:09:47 PM »
Coffee, should, nay!, must! be!, Strong, darker than a roasted,tarred&feathered nigerian with it's teeth knocked out and  exhibited during a total solar eclipse. Although relatively little sugar for me; as I'm sweet enough  naturally as I am  already :P

Any sweeter and I'd have caused a drastic localized outbreak of type I diabetes simply by walking past people in the street :P
Luckily for everybody else round this neck of the woods I only rarely sweeten my coffee by more than a teaspoon of sugar.
For tea, it depends on what kind of tea I'm drinking at the specific time as to how I serve it. Never with milk, bovine juice just ruins tea or coffee, IMO to the point of being undrinkable.  Black teas and oolongs, I like strong, black ones in particular, oolongs I usually only make each cup with a single tea bag; or single servings worth of loose tea, green, not a huge fan of green tea really, generally speaking. White teas are those I like best of all, with the exception of lady grey which is neck and neck with the current variety of white tea I have in my tea stash (yes, that particular stash is indeed tea, derived from Camellia sinensis, to fuel that most english of habits, a good brewski. With white teas especially though, I like mine without any sugar at all, but instead a mixture of a splatter of honey, preferably lime blossom, or if its not to be found acacia flower honey can suffice. And adding to the honey, a nice big fistful of lemon balm, the tender flowering tops being the best bits.

Adds a wonderful flavour of citrus, lemon-lime ish scent and taste, although unlike actual citrus fruit Melissa isn't sour or bitter, just flavoursome. Quite delightful when finely chopped up and steeped along with the tea as it brews, then fished out and dumped along with the tea or tea bag(s) when the tea is ready for drinking. Its also a gentle relaxant and soother, and to the utmost extent of my knowledge, it is free from the induction of tolerance or dependency or addictive properties. The effect is mild, and not in any way hazardous. Action is gently sedating, although not hypnotic, due to compounds that act as inhibitor(s?) of GABA-transaminase, an enzyme thats responsible for catabolysis  of GABA, the primary inhibitory neurotransmitter in the CNS (GABAa receptors are the targets of benzodiazepines, valium, temazepam, moggies (nitrazepam, aka mogadon) etc. as well as barbiturates, valerian root, or the orthosteric GABAa agonist muscimol*, the primary sedative/psychotropic agent present in the fly agaric mushroom.

(An orthosteric ligand is one, be it agonist or antagonist/inverse agonist which binds the native neurotransmitter recognition site of the receptor/synapse , as opposed to an allosteric ligand, allosteric ligands bind the same receptor, but at a separate binding site from the actual neurotransmitter (for instance benzodiazepines, which like GABA, (gamma-aminobutyric acid) bind GABAa receptors, but unlike GABA, benzodiazepines, barbs/chlormethiazole/ and (probably) quaalude/methaqualone, Z-drugs like zopiclone, zolpidem (ambien) and the weapons-grade heap of steaming dog-jizz-saturated uber-shite otherwise known as zaleplon. GABA binds, unsurprisingly, the GABA binding site. Whereas the others have varying subtype selectivity, with the sole exception in the previous list of the orthosteric GABAa agonist muscimol, which obviously, whilst it binds in place of at GABAa and GABAc receptors, and has a fair go at mimicking GABA at GABAa and GABAc (otherwise known as GABAa-Rho, GABAc consisting of a homomeric receptor made up of the ϱ-subunit of the GABAaR heteropentamers, thats typically found in the eye, especially, as a homomeric GABA-binding receptor composed entirely of ϱ-subunits, not entirely sure, but IMO GABA-ϱ receptors are likey to be homopentameric ionotropic receptors, given the heteropentamer structure of the typical GABAa receptor types, which are built of a cyclic ring of 5 subunits, selected from a huge variety of subunit types, arranged in various different patterns,with different GABAa ligands binding between different selections of subunits, such as with a benzo, usually the selectivity is a 1, 2, 3 and/or 5 subunits, and a gamma, the benzodiazepine binding site is between two alphas, and a gamma subunit, whilst those bearing an alpha4 or alpha6 are benzo-insensitive but binds (ethyl, at least, but probably others)-alcohol, and neurosteroid GABA agonists like pregnanolone (not pregnenolone, pregnEnolone acts as an antagonist at GABAa neurosteroid-sensitive populations, or the synthetic neurosteroid agonists such as ganaxolone and others besides])

So the constituents within Melissa officianalis, mostly terpene(oid)s afaik, work to block degradation of GABA, which serves to give balm anxiolytic, calminative and soothing properties, good for those who find caffeine in tea a little much, and like a bit of its more jittery, pointier edges filed off, good too for stressed out folk who feel overloaded, stressed,  out, with frayed nerves etc.

There are also compounds present, such as for instance rosmarinic acid, which have effects on the cholinergic systems, via modulation of nicotinic receptors in particular, and I think, although am not 100% certain of by any means, some inhibitory effect upon acetylcholinesterase, which lead, together to enlivening and robustly supportive properties exerted upon cognition and upon especially, memory.

Not to mention a pleasant helping of antioxidants. And even were it devoid utterly, of any and every trace of healing properties whatsoever, it would still taste absolutely fantastic used to flavor tea, lovely and perky and fresh and lively, and generally, all around pleasant as a culinary ingredient, but particularly IMO, coming into its own for tea. Makes quite a pleasant infusion on its own actually too, which definitely does benefit from a squirt of lime juice, and  slice of lime, with its grated peel added, and a dash of again, honey, to sweeten it a little, and served hot, its very refreshing on a hot summers day. Can work well too (the plant, rather than the infusion) for the distillation of some pleasant spirits, the nature of which can be left up to the person preparing and consuming same, according to what the consumer likes in terms of personal tastes, with regard to the other herbs, fruits, spices etc. to be used in the creation of scent and flavor, rosewater makes for a nice base, after distillation of the raw spirit from over the chopped up balm and other botanicals, condensing the distillate and then making it up into something drinkable by dilution

(you don't want to drink 100% w/w EtOH, it burns like everfucking fury on the way down. Tasted some absolute (non-denatured, horribly expensive, although I get my pure ethanol from poland if ever I require some anhydrous EtOH but do not wish to spend the time and resources in fermentation, distillation, purification and then reflux with then further distillation over calcium oxide (quicklime) under a current of inert gas supplied through drying tubes, protecting the whole lot, flame dried glassware, dessicant tubes of quicklime, or calcium carbide and what have you. Still not exactly the cheapest solvent I ever use, not by a long way, but it isn't so repugnantly overtaxed in eastern europe, or poland at least, as it would be were I forced to buy local, or from chemical supply houses, rather than a human being who works for themselves, and works hard, and honestly too, so isn't terribly inclined towards taxation :P

Neither on being stolen from herself, or in robbi....taxation, applied to others. I'm sure she'd rather have me for a loyal  customer than as a wallet in a pickable pocket; and at that, a loyal customer  who feels great gratitude towards her, and shows his appreciation for the way, she has gone out of her way to ensure my satisfaction, and willingness not only to provide her services at a very fair price, good customer service, and especially for the vast range of hard to get reagents, some of them quite simply un-purchasable by those outside of academic and govt. owned/funded institutions through most any non-private individual suppliers, by which I mean those who themselves are fellow citizen scientists. This particular lady, she works for herself, and aims to please her clientele, and she does a thoroughly good job of it too, allowing me to buy anything that she herself is capable of obtaining, all the tricky stuff, like rare and exotic solvents, run of the mill, yet usually either on 'watch lists'
or unavailable to private individuals through mainstream supply companies, such as for example, white phosphorus, pyridine, lithium aluminium hydride and other powerful hydride reducing agents, like NaH, borohydrides, STAB, cyanoborohydride, etc. and the juicy end of things like powerful halogenating agents like phosphorus tri/pentachloride, thionyl chloride, phosphoryl chloride, sulfur oxychloride, alkylating agents like methyl iodide, dimethyl sulfate (ick!), and various misc. things that mainstream chem supply houses simply wouldn't dare allow a private individual to purchase.

Basically, anything goes. I don't doubt if I went to her and asked for something like 'hey, need several tons of ABC and XYZ for a huge bomb, hail the invisible flying spaghetti monster, and Eris be praised! bwahahahahahahaha!!!!' I'd get short shrift if I was a terrorist. But for people who aren't allah-sturbators and psychotic thugs in general, then its all well and good, just as long as shes getting legitimate custom, that is to say, those who do not wish to pervert the scientific arts by using them for the causing of harm towards, or oppression of others, if someone isn't engaging in evil, then its all well and good.  Which works just fine for both of us. She gets her well-earned proceeds of business, I get my pick from her rich variety of excellent supplies, in a manner restrictionless, unrestrained and without being in the slightest way leashed by anything other than practical physical constraints as to things physically possible to transfer from a point of origin to a destination without decomposing, and with the proviso she herself has the capability to furnish what I may ask for, if she has it, and I can afford her prices, which are very fair indeed, and it would physically survive the journey without decomposing etc. then I've got it. Which suits me down to the ground, my one-stop-shop and go-to-girl for more or less anything and everything, not only because of quality of wares, but, because I also value being able to cultivate a working relationship with a specific supplier, and also, I value too, that service with a smile factor that you just don't get filling in an order form, ticking boxes in a catalog etc., not just quality that matters IMO, but the personal side of having a living, breathing human being on the other end of the business equation rather than a faceless body-corporate, that is just a huge corporation, thats so big they then often start to disdain the private customer, to the point of not even having the decency of deigning to answer a request, even to say sorry but we aren't selling XYZ to private individuals, but who get big enough they feel like they are bigger than god, in attitude wise, and too big to have to bother speaking to those 'beneath them.  Which isn't just irritating and aggravating, inconvenient but actually quite insulting really, to feel as though one is regarded as worth no better than something such big businesses just scraped off the sole of their shoe of canine origin and covered in green/black/grey/all the above colored fuzz.

Precisely the kind of shitty treatment and/or appallingo attitudes to customer service at that makes me want to slam down the phone, spit out a couple of teeth-blistering, toenail-curling curses; whereas my supplier that I use for my un-denatured ethanol amongst most everything else, she always leaves me with a smile on my face both after doing business, and upon receipt of my purchases. ''Service with a smile'' is something I feel one just cannot BUY, its priceless.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #976 on: May 09, 2016, 11:51:56 PM »
I need another cup of coffee.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #977 on: May 10, 2016, 06:26:10 AM »

I need a first cup of coffee.  :yawn:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #978 on: May 11, 2016, 12:14:54 AM »

I need a first cup of coffee.  :yawn:

I can't post in the morning without having one first.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #979 on: May 11, 2016, 04:19:50 AM »
  I'm having some now. :coffee: It's going to be a great day!

People forget.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #980 on: May 11, 2016, 09:53:52 PM »

I ordered a couple of really nice Ethiopian coffee blends for Mother's Day for my wife and I to enjoy.

We love Ethiopian coffee! I just wish the "fair trade" practices were more fair to the man and his family who work so hard to produce this superior product.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #981 on: May 14, 2016, 01:49:59 PM »
  Having my first cup of the day at 3:45ish in the afternoon! :coffee:  About time too!
  Couldn't have any this morning because the power was out, then I went to work, power out there too.

People forget.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #982 on: May 14, 2016, 02:01:37 PM »
I can teach you how to make your own fire, if you want.

I am talking about teaching you how to MAKE your OWN fire that you can make any time you want coffee and there is not power.

:trollskull:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #983 on: May 14, 2016, 02:06:09 PM »

I am talking about teaching you how to MAKE your OWN fire that you can make any time you want coffee and there is not power.

Would I need a yard and a fire pit?  :kumbaya:

People forget.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #984 on: May 14, 2016, 11:32:27 PM »
Try potassium permanganate and glycerine. A blob of glycerine, stir in enough pot perm to make a paste, do so quickly, within maybe 5-10 seconds it starts smoking and fizzing, then bursts into a shortlived but pretty damn intense flame.

A similar thing can be done with pot perm sprinkled on some sort of combustible substance, like a wad of paper, then a few drops of conc. sulfuric acid drain cleaner (typically its 93 to 98%) This forms manganese (VIII) oxide, which is a POWERFUL, if unstable oxidizer, its not safe to prepare the substance in quantity, in a container, but in-situ like that it does work fine as a firelighter.
Unsafe only in bulk, as its unstable, and likes to explode on contact with organics (think, a stray speck of dust falls in, gets oxidized, producing heat, sets the thing off, kablooey.)
But it won't do that if all thats there is a pinch of the KMnO4 sprinkled over paper, hit with a few drops of sulfuric.

Or, get a powerful-ish battery, like a PP3 or lantern battery, and some cotton wool, sprinkle a bit of methylated spirit, or other such flammable  substance over it, then use a wire to short the terminals creating a hot spark (DON'T hold the wire, it gets hot enough to glow red.

Or you can use an AA, and a chewing gum wrapper, taking the foil out and cutting the middle so its far thinner than the rest, creating a weak point that will burn/melt easier than the rest, short the battery using that cut chewing gum wrapper, with the choke-point  buried in the cotton wool, which is your tinder, you want a ready prepared ball of first woodshavings, the finer the better and the easier it will take, accelerant  of some sort like a few drops of methylated spirit or lighter fluid (the naphtha type not butane gas which would just evap off of course), a bit of petrol siphoned off the car tank, again only a few drops are needed to help it take. Blow on it once you get an ember, cupped in the hand, (which is why you don't soak it in fuel, plus you want to target the area of dry cotton wool fiber
thats situated right next to or on the border with the bit soaked in fuel)

The cut-out part, leave a narrow strip, it acts like a fuse, and burns through when too much current for it to handle, which isn't much, with such a thin bit of foil, passes through, shorts it out, and it will, for a moment, glow red hot, and can be used to ignite something.

Alternatively, a close fitting, but not TOO tight fit rod in a hollowed piece of wood, metal or something, with a notch cut into one side to hold a bit of tinder. Belt it with a hammer, really, really hard, to drive the piston down, and rapidly withdraw it so as not to consume all the oxygen in the cavity and force the ignited material to go out. Works by adiabatic compression, heating the air enough to actually ignite something flammable in the way of tinder. Its called a fire piston, and its a very very ancient technique. And believe you me, its a LOT easier than a bow drill or pump drill.

I've tried cheating at the 'bow' drill technique, when I put the long drill part of the two bits of wood into a fucking black and decker, ran it at maximum speed and I STILL couldn't get anything more than some browning of the hearth, a bit of sawdust and maaaybe a wisp or two of smoke, even after a half hour or more of trying.

FUCK only knows how the devil ancient societies, tribespeople etc ever started fires with that technique, if the vast speed and friction increase, and less arm torture afforded  via the use of modern
power tools wouldn't work!

Alternatively if things are available, and the weather is sunny, use a magnifying glass to burn something, it can EASILY focus the sunlight down to a tiny little intense spot and be used to ignite tinder.

Sodium chlorate (can be found in some weedkillers, usually sold AS NaClO3 itself) although banned now for some reason in the UK) and drain cleaner sulfuric will work, via formation of a little bit of chlorine
dioxide, ClO2, a powerfully oxidizing gas, but you can make it by preparing a HOT solution of caustic soda, as concentrated as you can get it, then bubbling chlorine gas through it, hot the rxn gives chlorate, if done cold then you just get hypochlorite (the stuff used in chlorine bleach), addition of sulfuric acid (drain cleaner grade for those who don't happen to have conc. H2SO4 just hanging around)
to chlorate-soaked paper thats been let dry ignites on contact. You can make your Cl2 either via addition of permanganate to muriatic (hydrochloric) acid, IIRC, sulfuric and HCl works too can't remember for sure. Or sulfuric on common salt, just bubble it through the caustic soda solution while in a suitable container, on a scale, that way you know when the rxn is actually absorbing no more Cl2.

Heh, thats one way to make an autoigniting molotov cocktail too. 4/5ths petrol/oil or whatever, thickened petrol w/ acetone/polystyrene maybe if your an evil bastard about it) and the balance topped up
with conc. sulfuric. Cap it, wrap rags round soaked in chlorate and have dried,chlorate soaked rags tied round it. When thrown the acid hits the chlorate , ignites the petrol.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #985 on: May 16, 2016, 12:40:49 PM »

Would I need a yard and a fire pit?  :kumbaya:

Goes without saying. I have both, but my pit is not permanent. I can move it if I want to, since it is just a stack of bricks and blocks. I am still looking for the perfect design, but I am getting close.
Smart design, too, if I do say so myself.

I build a vented stack of landscaping blocks (leave airways between them when you position them) on the bottom, with an angled stack for a back wall and a rounded front to allow easy access.

I have tried various types of "pure ovals"  but the wide angled back serves the front oval cooking area better than the oval back.

Back to your post; do you NOT have a yard of any sort?

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #986 on: May 16, 2016, 07:11:24 PM »
  I rent an apartment in a very small, multi-unit building.  There is a parking lot in back of the house,
  and a small front yard littered with cigarette butts and usually adorned with bags of trash and old
  appliances.  The point is, I rent, not own, so I don't think I should try to build a fire pit in that yard.  :laugh:

People forget.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #987 on: May 16, 2016, 08:08:48 PM »
Set one of the old appliances on fire.  :viking:
:gopher:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #988 on: May 16, 2016, 09:16:06 PM »
  I rent an apartment in a very small, multi-unit building.  There is a parking lot in back of the house,
  and a small front yard littered with cigarette butts and usually adorned with bags of trash and old
  appliances.  The point is, I rent, not own, so I don't think I should try to build a fire pit in that yard.  :laugh:

''

You'd have plenty of kindling with the cigarette butts and trash.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #989 on: May 16, 2016, 11:17:25 PM »

I am sorry. I had no idea.

I suppose I am spoiled having my own property, even though I often complain about wanting more area.

Subject dropped.