Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today?  (Read 133961 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What have you done today?
« Reply #9060 on: September 26, 2010, 11:22:43 AM »
Bought Castrol engine oil.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9061 on: September 26, 2010, 11:54:33 AM »

Would think you'd have some funky Euro brand there I get Castrol here sometimes when it's on sale
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9062 on: September 26, 2010, 02:29:51 PM »

Would think you'd have some funky Euro brand there I get Castrol here sometimes when it's on sale

There are funky European brands but the Jag dealer recommended Castrol Magnatec for my Jag, so who am I to differ?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #9063 on: September 26, 2010, 02:44:21 PM »

There are funky European brands but the Jag dealer recommended Castrol Magnatec for my Jag, so who am I to differ?

:indeed:  Listen to the experts!
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #9064 on: September 26, 2010, 02:59:47 PM »
We had to deal with a partial system crash during the scary parts of this morning's duties.

After doing hand writing over a corporate sign batch 1248 total that would not load into the network printer (representing the ad for Sunday that we were working on getting right -  FUCK!!!) ...

... the damn thing dropped two hours late but none of it was right.

Tonight, company wide, our corporate project staff will go into every mainland store and set up at least seven or even twelve of fourteen in some of the big stores - I will go in to for a few hours tonight, too, to make sure ours work - BUT, we are going to get all knew computers in the USA.

That means something like twelve thousand brand new computers logged in and set up in one night. (No fucking WAY!!)

I have doubts that this will actually work.

I have no clue as to how many hundreds of millions of dollars this night will cost the company, not yet to consider the many dollars and months of expensive labor to de-bug this system afterward, but it is a bit overdue, in actuality.  (My work station still booted into a WinXP network (hard-driveless) environment this morning)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 03:15:22 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9065 on: September 26, 2010, 04:02:39 PM »
I literally don't know what to say, but that I hope the problems and annoyances will be few and small (fat chance, but I can hope.)
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

richard

« Reply #9066 on: September 26, 2010, 04:18:11 PM »
the usual mundane things.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9067 on: September 26, 2010, 05:02:09 PM »
We had to deal with a partial system crash during the scary parts of this morning's duties.

After doing hand writing over a corporate sign batch 1248 total that would not load into the network printer (representing the ad for Sunday that we were working on getting right -  FUCK!!!) ...

Tonight, company wide, our corporate project staff will go into every mainland store and set up at least seven or even twelve of fourteen in some of the big stores - I will go in to for a few hours tonight, too, to make sure ours work - BUT, we are going to get all knew computers in the USA.

That means something like twelve thousand brand new computers logged in and set up in one night. (No fucking WAY!!)

I have no clue as to how many hundreds of millions of dollars this night will cost the company, not yet to consider the many dollars and months of expensive labor to de-bug this system afterward, but it is a bit overdue, in actuality.  (My work station still booted into a WinXP network (hard-driveless) environment this morning)

I bet it sounds good on paper but will it work?  Let us know if it works hope so for whoever came up with it but there are just too many things that can go bad
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #9068 on: September 26, 2010, 06:29:35 PM »

I bet it sounds good on paper but will it work?  Let us know if it works hope so for whoever came up with it but there are just too many things that can go bad

Remember "Murphy's Law"  -  Anything that can go wrong, will.

I have mentioned  ad infinitum    on this very site that I consider Murphy to be an incessant, deluded, plane-thinking, moronic, infantile optimist  for not even having considered any part of what can NOT go wrong that surely will.

I feel certain that the Murphys of our little world have gone over this update with a fine-tooth comb, but they all kept their eyes focused upon what they think of as weak spots, without even coming to work with their shirts inside out or trying to drink their coffee upside down from the wrong side of the cup, much less imagining if such a wild animal as a combined network of thousands of feral computers, all left available to the public can actually be harnessed into a cohesive pulling team, regardless of the size of the whip.

Murphy is an optimist!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9069 on: September 26, 2010, 07:48:50 PM »
DirtDawg, don't laugh, but do you work for the Military or something like McDonalds?  They seem to be equally confused and screwed up and they're the largest corporations I could think of that would need so many computers and stuff going on line at once or whatever it was you did tonight.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #9070 on: September 27, 2010, 02:12:36 PM »
Collected woodlice from my garden.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9071 on: September 27, 2010, 02:54:57 PM »
Worked. Fed the kids.

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #9072 on: September 27, 2010, 04:01:54 PM »
Cancelled my appointments. Took care of a sick little girl. Bummed around. posted, chatted. Very lazy day.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #9073 on: September 27, 2010, 04:18:13 PM »
Sweet FA
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #9074 on: September 28, 2010, 06:31:57 AM »
I have taken my meds and antibiotics, made and drunk some :coffee: and hauled out a BIG bag of trash!
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"