Author Topic: What have you done today?  (Read 133970 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What have you done today?
« Reply #7755 on: May 25, 2010, 05:48:50 AM »
Started clearing the blackberries growing in our yard. FUCK YOU BLACKBERRIES!

I have to ask you, my "friend,"  are you up for the "fight of your life?" 

If so, then you MIGHT win. You will have to address this challenge much like a brand new, unheard of game with an unknown enemy, waiting around every corner, that is impervious to your best weapons, you get few chances to renew your "life/resources,"  and even though you have an awesome strategy Cheat-guide, it is written in several languages that you can not read.

Otherwise, the blackberries will win this one. Accept that you will lose several bouts in this match and only after about three to five years of determined Ninja style onslaughts will you gain the trophy after defeating the Blackberry Monster, assuming that they are well established after about the same number of years. After three years, they are quite a challenge to remove.  Deal with this knowledge, if you are serious, because they will be back.  Blackberry bushes (along with all related brambles - fuck, maybe that is why someone named the invasive bastards "brambles.") grow from deep seated, long-lived rhizomes, which can spread for many meters and grow right up through concrete, if you decide to dump a few tons of crap in their way.  They will remain completely dormant for years, then suddenly spring up and re-establish themselves, six or eight meters away.

As Callaway mentioned,  glyphosate compounds will kill the upper growth, which you can then remove within a day or two (still soft, easy to remove if you wear sleeves. No plant will have any chance of surviving after absorbing glyphosate, if the toxin is introduced to the green parts of the plant during in its active growing stage)  Unfortunately, for your most heroic determination evidenced by your choice to use a harsh chemical means to gain ground for the short term battle in an ALL OUT WAR, the plant itself will not transfer any of the toxin to the deep, underground storage rhizomes, which are completely dormant and "not exchanging CO2 for O2"  or any other definable process that could resemble life, except storing sugars and DNA for the future. Once the environmental conditions are again right for an old rhizome to make it TO the surface, you are once again attacked by these invasive aliens.

The best success I have had at removing brambles was to bushhog (shred, mow or chop down to the ground, by what ever means is available to you) every bit of the plant that I can find. That, of course, stimulates the plant to grow back with extreme numbers of new suckers and many (not quite yet completely dormant) rhizomes jump back into growth. As the invaders begin to show a good establishment of greenery, blast the bastards with glyphosate, which will kill every plant cell that has any fluid connection at all to what is growing back (this first phase with cutting it all down and killing what re-grows takes about three months to complete).

Now that you are this far along, most people will think that they are done - and the fight is over, but this is when the enemy re-groups - this is actually when most people begin to LOSE the War of the Brambles.  Now, YOU know what to expect from this invasive tyrant, so you will win!!

You will have to be very strong in your determination, in order to NOT be overwhelmed by the new growth from deep-set rhizomes in the following season. (All you have done so far, is to throw down the gauntlet at your enemy's feet, spit in its face and shake your crotch in its general direction. Your enemy really feels the challenge now, in other words) You have the upper hand, though, because NOW, there are no bloody fucking canes to deal with and the glyphosate toxin will still kick its ass. Then continually tilling the soil and mowing throughout the coming season will keep your advantage (do not stop yet, because you will have at least one more season of re-growth to fight.)

You will win, if you keep up the fight!!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 06:37:01 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7756 on: May 25, 2010, 05:54:08 AM »
I've gotten out of bed and taken my medication!  :2thumbsup:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

TheoK

« Reply #7757 on: May 25, 2010, 05:58:04 AM »
That was  :viking: of you.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7758 on: May 25, 2010, 06:19:18 AM »
On a totally different note, Phlex, it is sad that you don't have on your property, forty or eighty meters by about three or four meters to devote to brambles.

I fucking love the berries, but I can not abide the growth habits in a small space.

I probably went a little bit overboard, but getting rid of brambles is a fucking BITCH, spitting out little bastards, the whole time.  It's a damn tough thing to do!  Understand that it actually takes about three seasons to completely eradicate brambles, generally, and you will have no rest until it is done. You can do it, but if you do not keep up the fight, they will only move a bit and re-establish themselves.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 06:31:33 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7759 on: May 25, 2010, 06:23:08 AM »

Thank you! I do what I can! :roses:

People forget.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7760 on: May 25, 2010, 06:41:55 AM »
That was  :viking: of you.

Getting out of bed and taking medication is brave?   (Tig, I see that you are dying for attention, but really? Come on, pal!)

WTF does any of that even mean?

Bed is for fucking and meds are for fun. Where is the fun or the fucking?

:violin:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7761 on: May 25, 2010, 06:43:27 AM »

Getting out of bed and taking medication is brave?

I think Lit might have been joking a bit.

As for me, bed is for sleeping and meds are for focusing my mind.  :2thumbsup:

People forget.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7762 on: May 25, 2010, 07:17:33 AM »

I am SO sorry for you.

I am appalled actually. I have nothing to offer you at this stage of your demise.

Well, except for:

... maybe a large plastic bag or two to hide in, some rope to wrap around your neck to keep yourself balanced, razor blades and scissors to run with and encouragement to go play on the highway? 

Nah, fuck that, I'll give you a gun to end this nonsense.

Ah shit, Wait!! I forgot that I bought a fancy High Definition video camcorder last month. Go ahead with the first plan, but let me set up my tripod, first.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7763 on: May 25, 2010, 07:22:52 AM »

I am SO sorry for you.

I am appalled actually. I have nothing to offer you at this stage of your demise.

Well, except for:

... maybe a large plastic bag or two to hide in, some rope to wrap around your neck to keep yourself balanced, razor blades and scissors to run with and encouragement to go play on the highway? 

Nah, fuck that, I'll give you a gun to end this nonsense.

Ah shit, Wait!! I forgot that I bought a fancy High Definition video camcorder last month. Go ahead with the first plan, but let me set up my tripod, first.

:lol: Can't, sorry, sounds like loads of fun but I have another 11-hour workday ahead, so I'll catch you later!

People forget.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7764 on: May 25, 2010, 07:32:17 AM »
enough jokes  ...

I finished building and setting up my reconfigured, outdoor speakers last night. (every thing is in two large enclosures that weigh about four hundred pounds each - they will be "permanent" on my rear deck for a couple of years, I expect.) I am using (two per side) fifteen inch (cheaper Electrovoice from the nineties, bass drivers), one ten inch per side, (crossed at eighty Hz, they are the same era JBL guitar drivers for lower mids), one four inch diaphragm horn driver with an old set of "baby buttcheeks" horns for a waveguide, crossed at three hundred Hz -  they are fairly large, cheap these days, but they make quite a statement as an upper mid range driver set." (JBL as well) and dual, spanned, vertically set radial horns, each with one inch drivers  (two per side, crossed at around two KHz  -  I don't have anything that goes above fifteen KHz, but do I really NEED that kind of resolution out doors??  I think not!). I am running a four-way electronic crossover, dual thirty one band EQs, five hundred watts on the four Electrovoice fifteens, three hundred watts on each per side on the tens and the buttcheeks and one hundred fifty watts on the dual driver upper horns.  It is all just a bunch of mid eighties/nineties shit I had laying around (except for the buttcheeks, which I bought on eBay for thirty bucks each), but it is starting to sound pretty damn good out there.

I also took a dip in a very cold pool this morning.  (had to feel how the new speaker set addressed the water). I only lasted about an hour in the pool, but the sound of my back yard is really coming together.  (I dumped the massive low frequency horns, since they mostly just piss off the neighbors, anyway.  i have PLENTY of sound still!)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 07:43:20 AM by DirtDawg »

TheoK

« Reply #7765 on: May 25, 2010, 07:37:40 AM »
My neighbours get pissed off when I fire rockets and bombs.  :-\

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7766 on: May 25, 2010, 07:49:55 AM »
My neighbours get pissed off when I fire rockets and bombs.  :-\

It sounds like you need a pool.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #7767 on: May 25, 2010, 08:35:55 AM »
On a totally different note, Phlex, it is sad that you don't have on your property, forty or eighty meters by about three or four meters to devote to brambles.

I fucking love the berries, but I can not abide the growth habits in a small space.

I probably went a little bit overboard, but getting rid of brambles is a fucking BITCH, spitting out little bastards, the whole time.  It's a damn tough thing to do!  Understand that it actually takes about three seasons to completely eradicate brambles, generally, and you will have no rest until it is done. You can do it, but if you do not keep up the fight, they will only move a bit and re-establish themselves.

Apparently it is "one of the twenty Weeds of National Significance (WONS) in Australia" and in Victoria (my state) "it is one of the four State Priority Weed species". Which means I have to get rid of it.

Thank you for the detailed advice. From what I've read so far, and you confirm it, I get the impression that it is the herpes of the weed/plant world. I was thinking of weekly checks and digging out anything I find, but it sounds like from what you are advising that that will not be enough? Is the poison essential?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7768 on: May 25, 2010, 08:45:30 AM »

The poison is always a kind of shortcut.

You can kill it all, eventually, by preventing full growth, by making sure it never again forms a reproductive cane.

It is not like some Herpes, though, because you can cure this one.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #7769 on: May 25, 2010, 08:49:35 AM »

The poison is always a kind of shortcut.

You can kill it all, eventually, by preventing full growth, by making sure it never again forms a reproductive cane.

It is not like some Herpes, though, because you can cure this one.

Yeah I was referring to it as herpes as in that's the attitude you have to take.