Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today?  (Read 133802 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What have you done today?
« Reply #3435 on: May 12, 2008, 05:26:16 AM »
If the nested quotes broke the table indexes, then I thought that it made more sense to lock it because it's possible that Vodzy could have quoted that post without reading Odeon's request first. 

Lots of people respond to threads without reading the whole entire thread.
That is what I did before when I was quoting in that thread. I almost did it again but I read the other thread about it first.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #3436 on: May 12, 2008, 07:19:29 AM »
one of the admins, i imagine.

:laugh: Yeah. I couldn't possibly have figured that out myself.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3437 on: May 12, 2008, 10:27:03 AM »
er, why did you ask, then?  ???

GalileoAce

« Reply #3438 on: May 12, 2008, 11:08:51 AM »

I believe she wanted a more specific, less obvious answer :: nods ::

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3439 on: May 12, 2008, 11:27:42 AM »
well, spit in my eye for me being an aspie.

GalileoAce

« Reply #3440 on: May 12, 2008, 11:29:13 AM »
well, spit in my eye for me being an aspie.

Why would I want to do that? Nothing wrong with being an Aspie :)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3441 on: May 12, 2008, 11:31:44 AM »
soz - forgot the smiley.  :laugh:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #3442 on: May 12, 2008, 11:39:44 AM »

'Cause I was curious which admin took care of it.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

ozymandias

« Reply #3443 on: May 12, 2008, 12:06:03 PM »
Went to the hardware store (a local one) and bought 8 bags of river pebbles for a front of the house landscaping job.  Petted the store cat for 10 minutes while I waited to be served in a busy store.  The cat was cute and very lovey.   :green:

Got home and spread the pebbles between the house and a border of antique cobblestones.  Looks very nice!   8)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3444 on: May 12, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
Went to the hardware store (a local one) and bought 8 bags of river pebbles for a front of the house landscaping job.  Petted the store cat for 10 minutes while I waited to be served in a busy store.  The cat was cute and very lovey.   :green:

Got home and spread the pebbles between the house and a border of antique cobblestones.  Looks very nice!   8)

We don't even have a real hardware store in the city and the population is 52,000.
Went to several different stores to find a part for a tool ended up in a town three cities away to get it
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 12:53:57 PM by parts »
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

ozymandias

« Reply #3445 on: May 12, 2008, 01:40:29 PM »

We don't even have a real hardware store in the city and the population is 52,000.
Went to several different stores to find a part for a tool ended up in a town three cities away to get it

Thats a shame, I wouldn't bother going to Home Despot or Lowe's unless they really had something I couldn't find elsewhere!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3446 on: May 12, 2008, 03:03:30 PM »
I don't have a definitive cause yet. :-\

Did that thread really stall things or did Vodzy do something that I don't know about?

He posted another quote thingy, in spite of me asking people not to, while I investigate what actually happened this morning. It looks like the nested quotes could possibly mess up table indexes, given certain conditions.

Why is he being called names?

Because he deserves it.

Ask someone not to do something and so they do it? What a novel idea!
:D

I can see how that would be annoying as hell though. Did his defiance help you to track down any proof of what is happening?

It is very annoying because I could have simply locked that thread--and been in my power to do so--but instead chose to ask everyone nicely. I don't like enforcing things because this isn't that kind of board and I tend to respect the membership more than that. Yes, even Vodzy, until he showed that he couldn't respect me.

But no, it didn't. It's a bit of a mystery to me. My theory is still an unlucky chain of events, with that bug being one link.

If it happens again, I will have to change my mind and see if we can optimise the db tables better, or something... :-\
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3447 on: May 12, 2008, 03:05:19 PM »
It seems to be locked already. I know I considered it this morning, but I felt it was better to just ask people not to, so I didn't lock it.

Yeah, I was just there and saw it was locked!  Would it help if I deleted my contributions to that little mess.??

??? Who locked it?

I did.

If the nested quotes broke the table indexes, then I thought that it made more sense to lock it because it's possible that Vodzy could have quoted that post without reading Odeon's request first. 

Lots of people respond to threads without reading the whole entire thread.

If it did not break the table indexes, then it can easily be unlocked.

Makes sense :: nods ::

In which case calling Vodzy names without first establishing why he did it, only makes the name callers look like arses. Arrogant and Ignorant Arses at that.

His post was after mine, and I assumed that he had read the non-quote replies. If that makes mean arrogant arse, then so be it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3448 on: May 12, 2008, 03:09:02 PM »
Had a meeting today that was almost a total waste of time, save for the coffee.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3449 on: May 12, 2008, 03:16:40 PM »
took photos of my knitting cos someone on the knitting board i visit asked me to - check out my bored tits thread.  ;D 

potted up some veggies - melon, beetroot, cucumber (i should really be writing these in finnish, shouldn't i?  ::) ), and various houseplant cuttings.  sowed more lettuce/salad leaves and some spinach, coriander, basil and dill.

carried on frogging this bloody stupid jacket (whoever crocheted it was insane, on drugs and Having An Episode  :grrr: ).  had lunch, read a bit, got too hot.

waked 3.5 miles, and found that my lovely shop with the bargains closes at 21.00 during the week, which is too late for me to walk round the park (it gets dodgy in there).  :'(