Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today?  (Read 135453 times)

ozymandias

Re: What have you done today?
« Reply #3420 on: May 11, 2008, 03:19:13 PM »
I don't have a definitive cause yet. :-\

Did that thread really stall things or did Vodzy do something that I don't know about?

He posted another quote thingy, in spite of me asking people not to, while I investigate what actually happened this morning. It looks like the nested quotes could possibly mess up table indexes, given certain conditions.

Why is he being called names?

Because he deserves it.

Why don't you lock the thread temporarily until you get a handle on the problem.?? 

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3421 on: May 11, 2008, 03:24:52 PM »

Did that thread really stall things or did Vodzy do something that I don't know about?

He posted another quote thingy, in spite of me asking people not to, while I investigate what actually happened this morning. It looks like the nested quotes could possibly mess up table indexes, given certain conditions.

Because he deserves it.

Why don't you lock the thread temporarily until you get a handle on the problem.?? 

It seems to be locked already. I know I considered it this morning, but I felt it was better to just ask people not to, so I didn't lock it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

ozymandias

« Reply #3422 on: May 11, 2008, 03:37:06 PM »

Because he deserves it.

It seems to be locked already. I know I considered it this morning, but I felt it was better to just ask people not to, so I didn't lock it.

Yeah, I was just there and saw it was locked!  Would it help if I deleted my contributions to that little mess.??

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3423 on: May 11, 2008, 03:42:54 PM »
Yeah, I was just there and saw it was locked!  Would it help if I deleted my contributions to that little mess.??

Don't think so... If I change my mind, though, I'll go and delete it all. There's no point in keeping some mindless quoting if it risks the site.

Thanks for asking.  :thumbup:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

ozymandias

« Reply #3424 on: May 11, 2008, 03:49:06 PM »
Repaired and re-setup my composting bins after the Black Bear tipped them over last night.   ::)  He must be desperate, because there's only vegetable matter and coffee grounds/tea bags and dead flowers in the bins.  He's a BIG'UN too.  We saw him making a play for my birdfeeders in the early evening.  Fortunately he ran off a short distance as I retrieved the feeders and brought them in for the night!

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3425 on: May 11, 2008, 03:57:04 PM »
Dug holes in the garden today... Well, actually, I repaired the lawn, in places.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #3426 on: May 11, 2008, 04:13:19 PM »

??? Who locked it?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #3427 on: May 11, 2008, 04:30:10 PM »

Because he deserves it.

Ask someone not to do something and so they do it? What a novel idea!
:D

I can see how that would be annoying as hell though. Did his defiance help you to track down any proof of what is happening?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3428 on: May 11, 2008, 04:32:14 PM »

I agree though - ditch the whole thread if it is causing problems.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3429 on: May 12, 2008, 01:02:37 AM »

??? Who locked it?

one of the admins, i imagine.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3430 on: May 12, 2008, 01:17:32 AM »

??? Who locked it?

I did.

If the nested quotes broke the table indexes, then I thought that it made more sense to lock it because it's possible that Vodzy could have quoted that post without reading Odeon's request first. 

Lots of people respond to threads without reading the whole entire thread.

If it did not break the table indexes, then it can easily be unlocked.

GalileoAce

« Reply #3431 on: May 12, 2008, 02:34:06 AM »

??? Who locked it?

I did.

If the nested quotes broke the table indexes, then I thought that it made more sense to lock it because it's possible that Vodzy could have quoted that post without reading Odeon's request first. 

Makes sense :: nods ::

In which case calling Vodzy names without first establishing why he did it, only makes the name callers look like arses. Arrogant and Ignorant Arses at that.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3432 on: May 12, 2008, 03:06:53 AM »

??? Who locked it?

I did.

Makes sense :: nods ::

In which case calling Vodzy names without first establishing why he did it, only makes the name callers look like arses. Arrogant and Ignorant Arses at that.

They probably assumed that he read the request and then did it again anyway.

I think that you even assumed that yourself.

GalileoAce

« Reply #3433 on: May 12, 2008, 03:56:50 AM »
I don't recall that...But there's lots of things I fail to recall :P

In general assumptions are dangerous.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3434 on: May 12, 2008, 04:07:18 AM »
I don't recall that...But there's lots of things I fail to recall :P

In general assumptions are dangerous.

True. I also made an assumption when I read where Odeon had said that Vodz "deserved" to be called names.

My assumption was that there was a good deal more to the story than the surface had revealed from my quick overview of the place.