Author Topic: What have you done today?  (Read 134702 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: What have you done today?
« Reply #2565 on: March 09, 2008, 03:15:14 PM »
PM's are already a step up in privacy from posts, so not comparable. Though if I had my druthers it would be public who was ignoring whose PM's too.

You're right it's moot if there's not a way though. Maybe better to argue it if/when we were looking at a specific mod.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Sophgay

« Reply #2566 on: March 09, 2008, 03:18:17 PM »
i definitely think the PMs ignore option should be private

if we get the ignore button on the forums though, i think it should be visible who is ignoring who, although i'd prefer it to be private, personally

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2567 on: March 09, 2008, 03:21:40 PM »
we could have an Ignore Thread, where people could say who they were ignoring.  but onlyif they chose to - you can't force people to disclose things, and they could have reasons for ignoring people they don't want to make public.  after all, freedom, and all that.

Gotta oppose this - I don't think it's an infringement of freedom to have a feature that discloses who's ignoring whom. It encourages people to be held accountable for words and actions, which was one of the founding principles. If anybody was worried about privacy, they could just ignore people the old fashioned way - not reading the bloody posts. By adding a feature with confidentiality, the admins would be trying to protect users (albiet in a minor way).

it's a matter of one freedom vs another then, surely? - the freedom to know what other people are up to vs the freedom to choose privacy.

/shrugs.

can't say i'm that bothered either way, to be honest.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2568 on: March 09, 2008, 03:26:59 PM »
re: the ignore button...

we could have an Ignore Thread, where people could say who they were ignoring.  but onlyif they chose to - you can't force people to disclose things, and they could have reasons for ignoring people they don't want to make public.  after all, freedom, and all that.

i'd bung mine on the thread, though, cos i'd want to try and effect change, as ozy said, above.  not that i'd hold my breath...

anyway, i'm probably too nosy to ignore anyone for very long.  :laugh:

Good suggestions.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Persona

« Reply #2569 on: March 09, 2008, 03:31:18 PM »
Ordered more books.

Probably will regret it later.  Too bad.

ozymandias

« Reply #2570 on: March 09, 2008, 03:44:11 PM »
At present I am ignoring only one person via PM.  And of course randini has been notorious with spamming via pm, so I cut him off on that level.  It's bad enough I have to ignore his gibberish on the public forum.  So I'v blocked both his accounts from my pm notifications and if I remember correctly it will tell the sender if they have been blocked. 

Persona

« Reply #2571 on: March 09, 2008, 03:47:52 PM »
Would be fun to block one's self  :orly:

Although am not too keen on the whole blocking idea.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2572 on: March 09, 2008, 03:50:39 PM »
At present I am ignoring only one person via PM.  And of course randini has been notorious with spamming via pm, so I cut him off on that level.  It's bad enough I have to ignore his gibberish on the public forum.  So I'v blocked both his accounts from my pm notifications and if I remember correctly it will tell the sender if they have been blocked. 

i've blocked flo, too, for the same reasons, although i didn't until he suggested it himself, bizarrely.

:LMAO:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2573 on: March 09, 2008, 03:58:07 PM »
Haven't blocked anyone's PMs. Haven't had a reason to do so.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

ozymandias

« Reply #2574 on: March 09, 2008, 04:00:39 PM »

My thing is, if someone has something to say to me like he did, he can say it on the public forum.  Spam on the forum is one thing, spam in my pm box is another.  But, to each their own.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2575 on: March 09, 2008, 04:05:20 PM »

So one could not send PMs to oneself?  That would be funny.

:laugh:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2576 on: March 09, 2008, 04:08:58 PM »
i can see why people would be against it, and it could make things very confusing at times, but then i also see it as being up to those who choose to ignore or not to ignore, whether they have that option or not. if someone wants to use it, i think they should be able to, although i wouldn't myself and would hope it wouldn't be used TOO much. i don't see it as censorship or anything, because it's down to each individual person, whether or not they want to use it. if anything, it's giving people more freedom IMO, which is what people seem to want. there are plenty of people already "ignoring" certain peoples posts, from what i've read. all this would do is make it more convenient for them

How could it be more confusing than hundreds of posts to sift through looking for one nugget.
not confusing for the person doing the ignoring
confusing for other people, if there's a discussion going on and certain people aren't seeing half of it etc

With the one on Fractalus, if someone quoted a post or part of a post by the ignored person, the quote could still be seen, but you do have a good point, Soph.

Still, if the person makes comments on threads based only on the information they have seen, they probably won't respond to something that they haven't read.

Sounds like a very sweet dream, Callaway. I imagine you were totally shocked upon awakening.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2577 on: March 09, 2008, 04:15:05 PM »
Ignoring is easy just don't look at posts with the names of people you don't like

Ya know, I have discovered that I am perfectly capable of ignoring a post even after I read it.

:lol:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2578 on: March 09, 2008, 04:20:29 PM »
i can see why people would be against it, and it could make things very confusing at times, but then i also see it as being up to those who choose to ignore or not to ignore, whether they have that option or not. if someone wants to use it, i think they should be able to, although i wouldn't myself and would hope it wouldn't be used TOO much. i don't see it as censorship or anything, because it's down to each individual person, whether or not they want to use it. if anything, it's giving people more freedom IMO, which is what people seem to want. there are plenty of people already "ignoring" certain peoples posts, from what i've read. all this would do is make it more convenient for them

How could it be more confusing than hundreds of posts to sift through looking for one nugget.
not confusing for the person doing the ignoring
confusing for other people, if there's a discussion going on and certain people aren't seeing half of it etc

With the one on Fractalus, if someone quoted a post or part of a post by the ignored person, the quote could still be seen, but you do have a good point, Soph.

Still, if the person makes comments on threads based only on the information they have seen, they probably won't respond to something that they haven't read.

Sounds like a very sweet dream, Callaway. I imagine you were totally shocked upon awakening.

How could one respond to a statement that one has not read?

ozymandias

« Reply #2579 on: March 09, 2008, 04:25:19 PM »
Hacked away at ice in front of my garage (7-10 inches thick) to make driving out less bumpy.