Author Topic: What have you done today?  (Read 136258 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: What have you done today?
« Reply #2550 on: March 09, 2008, 12:16:53 PM »
Do you mean you could open someone's profile and see a listing of all those who THEY have chosen to ignore?

That might be fun, but it would be better to have the notification in every single post of a person being ignored to remind them who all is ignoring them as they post.

:D

I would consider that a useful purpose for the ignore button.

DD - Either one of those would make me happy.  :laugh:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2551 on: March 09, 2008, 12:20:06 PM »
i think we should
although i doubt it will get enough votes

Don't be surprised. Some are absolutely determined to have one.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

ozymandias

« Reply #2552 on: March 09, 2008, 12:38:45 PM »
Do you mean you could open someone's profile and see a listing of all those who THEY have chosen to ignore?

That might be fun, but it would be better to have the notification in every single post of a person being ignored to remind them who all is ignoring them as they post.

:D

I would consider that a useful purpose for the ignore button.

DD - Either one of those would make me happy.  :laugh:

I agree.  The Delphi forums have an ignore function, but, I think all it reveals is that the poster sees that they are being ignored by the group not an individual member.  If we're going to have it, then who's ignoring whom should be open knowledge as well as DD's idea.

IF we do go the ignore function route.

richard

« Reply #2553 on: March 09, 2008, 12:39:15 PM »
looked at my apartment and now im drinking beer >:D

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2554 on: March 09, 2008, 12:59:02 PM »
Changed the outside flood lights to compact florescent bulbs
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2555 on: March 09, 2008, 12:59:45 PM »
Almost nothing yet, though I should houseclean in a couple of minutes.

I'm in the process of finishing off a game of online scrabble by a girl who's way better than my boyfriend at it- I'm getting my ass ROYALLY kicked.  I'm at 248, and she's over 400.  I have a q and a u, too, but noplace good to put them, she has only 6 tiles left, and it's her turn, so maybe she'll just finish me off.

...then I'm gonna go again.  I'm a sucker for punishment.   :laugh:  Prolly should give me a little empathy toward my Current (a few months ago I went through on online scrabble binge with him and had to stop because I'd won so much that the pressure to keep winning kept the game from being fun, lol- it had turned into a constant scrabble grudge match), though to be fair he's slightly better than I am at chess, I think (pretty close though).
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2556 on: March 09, 2008, 01:29:29 PM »
I'm pretty good at Scrabble.  8)

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2557 on: March 09, 2008, 01:48:55 PM »
i can see why people would be against it, and it could make things very confusing at times, but then i also see it as being up to those who choose to ignore or not to ignore, whether they have that option or not. if someone wants to use it, i think they should be able to, although i wouldn't myself and would hope it wouldn't be used TOO much. i don't see it as censorship or anything, because it's down to each individual person, whether or not they want to use it. if anything, it's giving people more freedom IMO, which is what people seem to want. there are plenty of people already "ignoring" certain peoples posts, from what i've read. all this would do is make it more convenient for them

How could it be more confusing than hundreds of posts to sift through looking for one nugget.
not confusing for the person doing the ignoring
confusing for other people, if there's a discussion going on and certain people aren't seeing half of it etc

With the one on Fractalus, if someone quoted a post or part of a post by the ignored person, the quote could still be seen, but you do have a good point, Soph.

Still, if the person makes comments on threads based only on the information they have seen, they probably won't respond to something that they haven't read.

I did it to mishmish for awhile, when she was in peak filibustering/shit stirring mode.  Her posts were giving me the worst case of MEGO I had ever had.  Morthaur suggested that I make that public knowledge.  Which I did, announcing who and why I was ignoring her.  He feels, as do I, that ignoring somebody should be made public.  I unignored her after she stopped her constant complaints of disatisfaction with how things were being set up and constantly implying that everybody who disagreed with her was dishonest.   ::)

That's a cool idea. Is there some way to have an ignore button feature list in the profiles who's being ignored, or something similar?

I don't know, but it would be nice to see who is being ignored by whom in some way if it is possible, assuming that we even vote in an ignore button.

I remember when MishMish was doing that, Ozymandias. 

I don't think that I ever did actually ignore her, but I did roll my eyes quite a bit when I read some of her constantly complaining posts.  I think I finally said something to her, but of course she could never in a million years let anyone else ever have the last word about anything.  I think that she is a charter member of the PPLWGIC.  Maybe we should invite her here?   :P

Sorry that I did not make an official announcement of the few minutes I ignored you to see how it worked.

:-*

ozymandias

« Reply #2558 on: March 09, 2008, 01:49:46 PM »
I'm pretty good at Scrabble.  8)

I'm decent at it, it helps that I know lots of obscure words.   In a  slightly amusing vein, in a high school scrabble game, I used the word "teats" and the guy I was playing against went "HUH" or "DUH" and questioned the word.  One of his buddies had to explain that "Teats" was the correct spelling for tits.   :laugh:  Needless to say he was quite embarassed.  But, I kept the word and the score.  Can't remember who won in the end, but, then again, who cares.   8)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2559 on: March 09, 2008, 01:56:18 PM »
re: the ignore button...

we could have an Ignore Thread, where people could say who they were ignoring.  but onlyif they chose to - you can't force people to disclose things, and they could have reasons for ignoring people they don't want to make public.  after all, freedom, and all that.

i'd bung mine on the thread, though, cos i'd want to try and effect change, as ozy said, above.  not that i'd hold my breath...

anyway, i'm probably too nosy to ignore anyone for very long.  :laugh:

ozymandias

« Reply #2560 on: March 09, 2008, 01:56:50 PM »
i can see why people would be against it, and it could make things very confusing at times, but then i also see it as being up to those who choose to ignore or not to ignore, whether they have that option or not. if someone wants to use it, i think they should be able to, although i wouldn't myself and would hope it wouldn't be used TOO much. i don't see it as censorship or anything, because it's down to each individual person, whether or not they want to use it. if anything, it's giving people more freedom IMO, which is what people seem to want. there are plenty of people already "ignoring" certain peoples posts, from what i've read. all this would do is make it more convenient for them

How could it be more confusing than hundreds of posts to sift through looking for one nugget.
not confusing for the person doing the ignoring
confusing for other people, if there's a discussion going on and certain people aren't seeing half of it etc

With the one on Fractalus, if someone quoted a post or part of a post by the ignored person, the quote could still be seen, but you do have a good point, Soph.

Still, if the person makes comments on threads based only on the information they have seen, they probably won't respond to something that they haven't read.

I did it to mishmish for awhile, when she was in peak filibustering/shit stirring mode.  Her posts were giving me the worst case of MEGO I had ever had.  Morthaur suggested that I make that public knowledge.  Which I did, announcing who and why I was ignoring her.  He feels, as do I, that ignoring somebody should be made public.  I unignored her after she stopped her constant complaints of disatisfaction with how things were being set up and constantly implying that everybody who disagreed with her was dishonest.   ::)

That's a cool idea. Is there some way to have an ignore button feature list in the profiles who's being ignored, or something similar?

I don't know, but it would be nice to see who is being ignored by whom in some way if it is possible, assuming that we even vote in an ignore button.

I remember when MishMish was doing that, Ozymandias. 

I don't think that I ever did actually ignore her, but I did roll my eyes quite a bit when I read some of her constantly complaining posts.  I think I finally said something to her, but of course she could never in a million years let anyone else ever have the last word about anything.  I think that she is a charter member of the PPLWGIC.  Maybe we should invite her here?   :P

Sorry that I did not make an official announcement of the few minutes I ignored you to see how it worked.

:-*

I seriously doubt she'd join here.  Of course it would be interesting to see her and hadron and birdboy interact.   :laugh:  It wouldn't hurt to invite her anyway.   ::)  I think MM's reaction to I2 would be like Twig's.  <shrug>

ozymandias

« Reply #2561 on: March 09, 2008, 01:59:20 PM »

we could have an Ignore Thread, where people could say who they were ignoring.  but onlyif they chose to - you can't force people to disclose things, and they could have reasons for ignoring people they don't want to make public.  after all, freedom, and all that.

i'd bung mine on the thread, though, cos i'd want to try and effect change, as ozy said, above.  not that i'd hold my breath...

Every once in a while I would unignore mishmish just to keep up with her thoughts, but, that would last a short time before the MEGO kicked in.   :P

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #2562 on: March 09, 2008, 02:39:04 PM »

Gotta oppose this - I don't think it's an infringement of freedom to have a feature that discloses who's ignoring whom. It encourages people to be held accountable for words and actions, which was one of the founding principles. If anybody was worried about privacy, they could just ignore people the old fashioned way - not reading the bloody posts. By adding a feature with confidentiality, the admins would be trying to protect users (albiet in a minor way).
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2563 on: March 09, 2008, 02:43:02 PM »
Ignoring is easy just don't look at posts with the names of people you don't like
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2564 on: March 09, 2008, 02:54:52 PM »

Yes, that would be a good idea to just say who you are ignoring and why, just like Ozymandias did.

What if someone had wanted to ignore John Cooper but did not want to publicize it, since he was a creepy stalker.

Is it public knowledge who ignores whose PMs?  I don't think that it is.

I don't even know whether or not there is a way to do it officially, since my only experience with the ignore button is from Fractalus.